Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #41
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
First, I'll admit I have never towed our Monte with a DRW. But I have towed it with the SRW in 30 mph cross winds with higher gust, and barely know the wind is blowing until we stop and I get out and have to lean into the wind. Same with passing trucks, little to no effect. Unlike MHs I have been behind moving back and forth across the lanes. And winding mountain roads are no problem. I will not doubt a DRW is maybe more stable, but that does not mean an SRW is unstable. DRW may be necessary for payload, but not for stability. I suppose some people are just more sensitive to movement.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:47 PM   #42
Bob Bo

M.O.C. #22402
It cost me, but I upgraded to a 3500 SRW today. Thanks everyone for all the advice. This goes down as my first full time RV life lesson. I'll be passing along the same advice some of you passed d to me.

Cant wait to get this adventure started!
Bob Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #43
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Congratulations Enjoy
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:10 PM   #44
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
How did you get 4:10 gears in a SRW unless you have a gasser?
No gasser I ordered it that way!
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:56 PM   #45
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
BuilderBob

I built one online and they won't let you have any ratio but 3.42...
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #46
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
The issue I see is that if you are towing overweight you are putting your self, family and others at risk, there are weight requirements for a reason. Sure a 3/4 ton has the power to pull it, but when things get serious watch out. Most will never have an issue but if you get caught, either for weight or an accident that will be the end, and the cost will be more then it is now. We don't all have unlimited resources but I think this is one of the most serious issues on the forum.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #47
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
I built one online and they won't let you have any ratio but 3.42...
Montana Man; I didn't do it on line I ordered at the dealership with every thing I wanted and no problem with getting 4:10 gears. Maybe when they know you want to spend that kind on money they give you what you want!
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #48
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
The issue I see is that if you are towing overweight you are putting your self, family and others at risk, there are weight requirements for a reason. Sure a 3/4 ton has the power to pull it, but when things get serious watch out. Most will never have an issue but if you get caught, either for weight or an accident that will be the end, and the cost will be more then it is now. We don't all have unlimited resources but I think this is one of the most serious issues on the forum.
That’s were I was but there are a lot of folks here that think our concerns are overblown so I have dialed it back a bit.

However for myself I will stick with the more truck than I minimally need. Some would say I’m wasting money. I say better safe than sorry.....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #49
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Has ANYONE here been cited for being overweight while pulling their camper? In over 50 years of my life being around trucking and being a trucker myself,I have NEVER witnessed a camper being cited for overweight violations. Im NOT saying it can't happen, but even doing an online search hasn't turned up any cases.

SAFETY should always be the utmost concern, but it also helps to know how to handle the equipment that you have too. Some have NO CLUE how to tow any trailer, let alone a 40` 5er!!!
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #50
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
over weight

I've only heard something about if your tow vehicle is not registered to tow that amount of weight. like if you just have like regular car plates on it and not the commercial ones with the extra weight allowance. the DOT cops usually only bother the DIY guy that goes and rents a small piece of equipment and hauls it home on a trailer behind his tow vehicle. most people don't have there reg for that amount of weight because you have to pay extra for it. but I myself have only heard rumors about it for the RVers
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:23 PM   #51
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
For me it's not an issue of being pulled over and cited, it's a matter of loosing everything I have or will have because some lawyer figured out I was exceeding the limits, I an not willing to take that chance for the comparatively small extra cost of a 1ton. Everyone has different priorities, those are just mine.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #52
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWin View Post
Has ANYONE here been cited for being overweight while pulling their camper? In over 50 years of my life being around trucking and being a trucker myself,I have NEVER witnessed a camper being cited for overweight violations. Im NOT saying it can't happen, but even doing an online search hasn't turned up any cases.

SAFETY should always be the utmost concern, but it also helps to know how to handle the equipment that you have too. Some have NO CLUE how to tow any trailer, let alone a 40` 5er!!!
I am kinda with ya that the chances of you being cited for being overweight with an RV are fairly remote. Especially in the USA and away from the coasts.

But as you so aptly put it SAFETY should be the primary focus. I have been rather forceful in my defense of "buying more truck than you need". That isn't because of legal reasons but rather for SAFETY. A little extra cushion is always a good thing. Granted you may drive a half million miles and never encounter a situation where the extra margin makes a difference but odds are against it.

And likewise everyone who deals with mechanics knows that a heavier duty truck doing the same job as a lighter duty truck will last longer and have fewer issues that is just common sense.

Granted is there a point where you go overboard? Certainly! You don't need a Kenworth to tow a popup. But going to a one ton dually when a 3/4 ton SRW would barely be enough is not an outrageous as some folks would try to make it sound on here!!!

I just haven't heard a really good argument for pushing the limits!

Wide fenders? Please like you can't walk an extra 10 yards?

Better fuel mileage? You do realize your towing a monster RV right? Maybe a Prieus is more your style.

Less expensive truck? Now didn't you just buy one of the largest RVs on the market? Like you don't have deeper pockets than your letting on or maybe you shouldn't have bought that big of a camper?

I mean really some of the arguments against a larger truck are just so lame.........
Old 08-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #53
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
For me it's not an issue of being pulled over and cited, it's a matter of loosing everything I have or will have because some lawyer figured out I was exceeding the limits, I an not willing to take that chance for the comparatively small extra cost of a 1ton. Everyone has different priorities, those are just mine.
This is a valid concern. Three years ago I ask my Allstate agent if we were covered if we were overweight. She called Allstate and yes you are covered. You are covered if you run a stop light, speed, drive drunk or overweight. Your insurance co. can’t pick and choose when you are covered. If they could they would never cover anything.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #54
KevinLV
Established Member

M.O.C. #22185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
No gasser I ordered it that way!
Hmmm.... Interesting because my understanding is if you buy a Ram SRW with the 6.7 you get the 3.42s, period. No other options available. Check out the towing guide linked below. Ram does not publish towing specs for any gear ratio other than 3.42 for SRW trukcs equipped with the Cummins.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/tow...ing_charts.pdf

I would be interested in the gear ratio listed on your build sheet. Add your VIN to the end of the link below. You will see the actual axle ratio under optional equipment.

https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice...etServlet?vin=

And I am certainly not trying to argue with you. If there is some super secret method to order 4.10s in a diesel RAM 3500 SRW then I will visit the dealership soon. Though 3.42s as the only SRW option is a topic of angst and frustration on the cummins forums.

Kevin
KevinLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #55
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If there is no difference between a SWD and a dually why do they make a DWD. I do not care what truck we pull with as long as it pulls within specs. Just my choice.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #56
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
You know a stamped 48” mower deck will cut grass just as good as a 48” welded deck. But NO ONE would argue the welded deck is superior. But then you buy a mower to do one thing.

A dually is a superior towing platform. You won’t find a single professional driver that will argue that! The reasons to not buy one are not related to its performance while TOWING! And that is what we should be telling newbies. If they have good reasons to get less ok but that doesn’t change the fact that DRW is superior for the primary purpose of towing. All reasons to go with something less should be weighed against the loss of safety cushion and towing performance!
Old 08-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #57
N2BchMtnMrsh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14360
Here are the specs on my 2013 3750FL:
Weight
Dry Weight
12,405 lbs.

Payload Capacity
3,265 lbs.

GVWR
15,770 lbs.

Hitch Weight
2,270 lbs.

I tow it with a 2013 Chevrolet 2500 HD LTZ Diesel 4x4. The max payload is 3,069 so the hitch weight is OK. The fifth wheel towing capacity is 17,800 lbs. so that is OK too. But it is close and I would not get any bigger of a trailer without having a bigger truck. I would listen to the others on here, if you can't trade in the trailer, then trade in the truck, you should be able to do it without as much a financial hit as the depreciation on the trailer.
N2BchMtnMrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #58
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
I drag a 3811, air bags and tire upgrade.
All is good
Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #59
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2BchMtnMrsh View Post
Here are the specs on my 2013 3750FL:
Weight
Dry Weight
12,405 lbs.

Payload Capacity
3,265 lbs.

GVWR
15,770 lbs.

Hitch Weight
2,270 lbs.

I tow it with a 2013 Chevrolet 2500 HD LTZ Diesel 4x4. The max payload is 3,069 so the hitch weight is OK. The fifth wheel towing capacity is 17,800 lbs. so that is OK too. But it is close and I would not get any bigger of a trailer without having a bigger truck. I would listen to the others on here, if you can't trade in the trailer, then trade in the truck, you should be able to do it without as much a financial hit as the depreciation on the trailer.
Spot on. I was in same boat and had to move up to larger truck before we could get our new larger 5er. We actually made money on the 3/4 ton trade. No way I could do that with our new 5er. The depreciation is just to big a hit
Old 08-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #60
Bob450
Established Member

M.O.C. #19473
F250

I have a 3811 and traded up to a f350 from a f250.
Bob450 is offline   Reply With Quote