Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #41
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Keep us posted on how the repair went. I also have a new HC362RD, and will be checking mine tomorrow.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #42
webstrang
Established Member

M.O.C. #22094
Angry Leaking Gearbox

I purchased a 2018 High Country 305rl in May of 2018. It fell apart on my very first trip but I wont go into that in this post. Im so glad I was looking at this post. I have my trailer in storage and went to look at the drives. Guess what I found. A leaking gearbox, which bubbled my roof. Will be calling the dealer tomorrow and keystone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gearbox1.png
Views:	34
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2213  
webstrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #43
rseitzinger

M.O.C. #22580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
When we read about this issue on this forum in the spring, we immediately ordered drip trays at the dealership. A friend of ours has the exact same model and year as we do, so we told him and he ordered some too. We installed ours, and found one of the gear boxes was already dripping, although there was no damage.

Can you order the drip trays directly or do you have to go through a dealership?

What's the part number?
rseitzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #44
rseitzinger

M.O.C. #22580
Leaking Gearbox - 2019 HC-381TH

Picking up out 2019 HC-381TH tomorrow and thanks to this forum I found 1 of my 4 slides have leaked.

Service Manager had no clue on this issue - How can I be the first person to point this out to him???

Rob
Virginia Beach, VA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Damage.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	2288  
rseitzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #45
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
A lot of folks have this issue and do not know it. it is mostly folks on the forum and FB page. If you are not on those you have no idea. So the dealer would have to have a customer that is on the forum and has this issue.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #46
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Some service managers are the big two legged bird from Australia that always buries their head
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #47
Al D.
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22417
I have a 2018 HC 345RL. Three of the four slide outs have leaking gear boxes. It is in the shop right now for this and other issues.
A drip pan is not a fix it is just a band aid to hide the defect. Does anyone know if there is a place on the gear boxes to check and add oil. I have used Mobilith SHC 007 before in leaking gearboxes. It won't leak out. It is a lithium base semi fluid synthetic grease. I had very good luck with it. I am curious if you could change out the oil in the gearbox and add this. Any thoughts?
Al D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #48
Mikeblan2000
Established Member

M.O.C. #21523
I heard Keystone has said the gearboxes were overfilled and once it leaks down past the seal it will be at the right level and be fine.
Not sure if this is true or not.
Mikeblan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:27 PM   #49
darrylwt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17873
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad99ram View Post
Attachment 2006

Got a new motor and gearbox installed yesterday. New gearbox has attached drip tray
What happens when the try gets full and runs over?
darrylwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #50
mdunning

M.O.C. #21334
Yes I am having the same slide gearbox problem bubbled roofs. My dealer said Keystone will only patch the roofs. If anyone who has gotten full roof replacements could give me any help I would greatly appreciate it.
mdunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #51
Dave Sinclair

M.O.C. #15882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeblan2000 View Post
I heard Keystone has said the gearboxes were overfilled and once it leaks down past the seal it will be at the right level and be fine.
Not sure if this is true or not.
Yes that is correct. This was a quote from the service manager of Norco industries to me. They were over filled and only leak when the temp inside you rig gets over 120 degrees. Like pulling it in the summer.

They will never go empty.
Dave Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #52
Dave Sinclair

M.O.C. #15882
They have replaced many slide roofs. DO NOT take NO for an answer. They put new roofs on mine. I also talked to a Montana rep in person yesterday and told him they should start stepping up and fixing all of these. He took my card and said he will watch the video I made. Now if that happens I would be suprised but, wierder things have happened.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #53
Dave Sinclair

M.O.C. #15882
The gear boxes will not run out of grease. They were over filled and will only leak down to the gasket between the two halfs of the gear box. I have the drip pan and new roofs and there is nothing more then a thin film on the pans and it has been very hot where I traveled and they have not leaked any more.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #54
Foodgod1
Established Member

M.O.C. #21586
The response you are getting is because your dealership is not presenting it properly to Keystone. Keystone will replace the roofs if the dealership recommends it. Stay on your dealership and tell them that patches are unacceptable because the seals will drag across the patches and wear over time. They know this and simply don't want to do the work. You should also take pictures of the bubbles and any damage and call Keystone customer service line. Ask them who you can send the pictures to so you can get the proper repairs made. I'm aware of 3 or 4 people now that have had to fight pretty hard with their dealerships to get the roofs replaced. But the persistence and evidence pays off in the long run. Don't give up!!
Foodgod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #55
webstrang
Established Member

M.O.C. #22094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodgod1 View Post
The response you are getting is because your dealership is not presenting it properly to Keystone. Keystone will replace the roofs if the dealership recommends it. Stay on your dealership and tell them that patches are unacceptable because the seals will drag across the patches and wear over time. They know this and simply don't want to do the work. You should also take pictures of the bubbles and any damage and call Keystone customer service line. Ask them who you can send the pictures to so you can get the proper repairs made. I'm aware of 3 or 4 people now that have had to fight pretty hard with their dealerships to get the roofs replaced. But the persistence and evidence pays off in the long run. Don't give up!!
I have to bring my trailer back to my dealer next week for bubbling roof and new slide motor. They said they were going to patch roof. I said I did not buy a 2 piece roof. They don't care. A class action lawsuit needs to be started before we can gain traction. Drip trays are also NOT a fix. I'm in for a lawsuit against Keystone.
webstrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #56
mdunning

M.O.C. #21334
Well go news after many conversations from my dealer to Keystone they agreed to replace all four slide roofs. Our dealer Crestview in Selma Tx worked hard to get this done at this point I way not be completely happy with my Montana but I am happy the dealership has worked hard for me. Scott in service kept me informed and forwarded all the emails he sent to Keystone and the ones they sent back,
mdunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:08 AM   #57
Fishin2dMax
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20689
Gearbox leak got me too

After reading all the posts about leaking gear boxes, I decided to check my 2018.5 HC 305RL when I was buttoning it up for the winter. Sure enough, my kitchen slide has leaking gear box and a bubbled roof. Sadly, my warranty was up a couple of weeks ago.

I contacted my dealer about the issue and they haven't gotten back to me yet as far as Keystone covering the cost of repair out of warranty. With this being such a prevalent and known problem, Keystone should have issued a service advisory / recall to at least inspect and / or install drip pans on all 2017 / 2018 HC's with cable slides. I'm extremely disappointed in Keystone for not owning up to the issue and sending out drip pans kits in a proactive effort to mitigate damaging expensive roof membranes. Even more disappointing is why did Keystone continued to send out units knowing there was issue with gearboxes leaking? As a minimum, they should have begun installing drip pans on the 2018's ?

I'm curious if anyone with leaking gearbox damage was authorized for repair when out of warranty? For their sake, I sure hope they do the right thing and cover the cost of my repairs!
Old 11-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #58
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I have a silly question. Keystone said the problem is there is too much oil in the gear box. Why not have the supplier fix that problem at their factory? If they can’t or won’t I bet the new supplier will.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #59
Snoopy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18896
Send a message via MSN to Snoopy Send a message via Yahoo to Snoopy
All three of my slides now have bubbles from the leaking motors. our dealer is in process of submitting a claim for roof replacement to keystone. I will not except the roofs being patched.

2018.5 331RL
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #60
Flynet35

M.O.C. #20660
I also have a 2017 353RL. After reading your post I inspected my slide roofs and found the same issue on all 3 slideouts.
Flynet35 is offline   Reply With Quote