Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2018, 06:18 AM   #41
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
If you are in Ontario Canada and you are only towing your recreational vehicle (travel trailer/5wheel) you do not need anything more than your standard G class license.

speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:44 AM   #42
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753

Okay, just reloaded the popcorn.

if braking is such a concern why not just go with disk brakes on the 5er?

I am waiting for the guy that tows his Montana with a Tundra to tell you all that anything over a 1/2 ton is overkill.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:55 AM   #43
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post

Okay, just reloaded the popcorn.

if braking is such a concern why not just go with disk brakes on the 5er?

I am waiting for the guy that tows his Montana with a Tundra to tell you all that anything over a 1/2 ton is overkill.
Oh I do plan to get the disc brakes on my 5er for sure.

I guess another way to frame this "discussion" is to ask why do they make DRW vehicles? If we don't need the DRW because SRW will outperform it then why does anyone buy one? Why are they even made? They are a pain to park and its just a waste of money to have to buy an extra set of tires so why have them?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:02 AM   #44
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
I like DRW for the ride stability and because it makes my butt look big! I thought I would try to lighten the mood here. Ya'll need some sunshine and warm weather to ease the winter anxiety.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:12 AM   #45
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
I like DRW for the ride stability and because it makes my butt look big! I thought I would try to lighten the mood here. Ya'll need some sunshine and warm weather to ease the winter anxiety.
Amen to that. I have cabin fever big time!

Sad thing about these forums is you can't hear the inflection in someone's voice. If we were having this debate around a campfire with beer then it would have a totally different tone.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:12 AM   #46
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
In training with a guy from the UK in CA. We pulled up behind a Dually and he asked me why anyone would need a truck that big. I told him i do not know my SRW does just fine.

2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:16 AM   #47
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Maybe if I asked the SRW owners if they have every owned a DRW and went back to an SRW?
Old 01-27-2018, 07:34 AM   #48
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Maybe if I asked the SRW owners if they have every owned a DRW and went back to an SRW?
Yes, 1 and done. Srw to dually and back. But I do keep the 5er under 15,500# gvwr and loaded around 14,500 max. I'll never get to the weight it is needed intentionally. The reason a 42' HC works great.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:17 AM   #49
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
No one is talking about what year truck they have. I have a 15 F250 SRW and have driving in all kinds of conditions and have felt safe. I pull a 13,000# monty and have even had a panic stop and the truck is stable and stopped straight as a arrow. Brakes on the trailer have a lot to do with stopping a load. No one talks about the importance of checking them every year before going out for the camping season. Only reason to go from SRW to a DRW is load on truck. The load rating on tires is the limiting factor on your tow rig. That is the main reason that a DRW truck will handle a higher load. You multiply the tire load rating and multiply by 4 and that is the max you can carry in the truck. DRW's may have some beafer components than a SRW but in as in my Ford motor and transmission are the same. POP POP
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:19 AM   #50
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Yes, 1 and done. Srw to dually and back. But I do keep the 5er under 15,500# gvwr and loaded around 14,500 max. I'll never get to the weight it is needed intentionally. The reason a 42' HC works great.
Ok well here is a guy who I can respect the oppion of. You have the experience. So why did you drop back to the SRW?
Old 01-27-2018, 08:21 AM   #51
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would not buy a one ton, Crew cab, Long bed, diesel, dually for the fun of it. We purchased the truck, if fact two of them over the years, to tow two fairly heavy Montana,s within specs. The long bed crew cab purchased learned from having other trucks that were not. The truck was purchased to suit our mode of travel and Rv'ing. That is the best I can do to justify our purchase.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:36 AM   #52
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
I would not buy a one ton, Crew cab, Long bed, diesel, dually for the fun of it. We purchased the truck, if fact two of them over the years, to tow two fairly heavy Montana,s within specs. The long bed crew cab purchased learned from having other trucks that were not. The truck was purchased to suit our mode of travel and Rv'ing. That is the best I can do to justify our purchase.
I come from the exact same place! We bought the big boy to TOW period! And I have to say that even with our shorter and lighter former 5er I was surprised at the difference between my last SRW and the new DRW. IF you haven't experienced that difference you wouldn't know! It's sorta the same feeling I got when I went from a flat hull design bass boat to a deep V. I feel considerably safer driving the DRW when it is under load.

On the other hand when we get ready to replace my wife's car it will be with a 1/2 ton SRW because it will not be used to tow anything exceedingly heavy. I really loved my former Ford 1/2 ton crew cab with the roll and lock bed cover. It went on several epic 20 day cross country road trips (California and back twice and to Maine once).

If you guys are assuming that I don't like SRW you are sadly mistaken.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:35 AM   #53
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Ok well here is a guy who I can respect the oppion of. You have the experience. So why did you drop back to the SRW?
It came down to just 2 things ~ need and convenience. Some would add cost to purchase, fuel, and tires but did not enter into my decision. Start with NEED; my 2016 F350 SB makes ALL the numbers to pull my HC even fully loaded at over 15K. No way my wife and I will add nearly 3500#. I don't need the extra 15" of bed length. If loaded weight was over 16K I would need the payload, so I'll make sure to be under that number. CONVENIENCE; parking on the street, in the garage, or lots at shopping areas, and everywhere else ~~ USUALLY they fit but a lit tighter and a 350/3500 is tight enough. Parking garages are a joke as with the front bumper against the wall the tail still sticks out. Mirrors can be pulled in but not rear fenders making getting between vehicles tight. Stock the 350 is a more comfortable ride. Less truck and trailer tail swing.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:15 AM   #54
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I can respect that decision Capt. and all the reasons you cited make the SRW a clear choice for you no argument there.

And as I said we have nothing against a SRW and will be buying a 1/2 ton SRW for our daily driver and non towing long road trip vehicle. I don't like parking my dually anymore than you did.

I hope you can respect that we purchased our DRW because it fits our needs and lifestyle. At the time of purchase of the truck we were not for certain what 5er we would end up with. All we did know is that it would be VERY big and heavy. We bought the DRW almost exclusively for towing. SAFE towing of a very heavy payload was paramount to my decision making process. And since I plan to add a welder/generator in the bed the long bed was critical to my plans (besides I like the long bed for getting lumber and it seems to ride a little better than a short bed). Before the critics say anything I will state I have a tractor and can remove the welder any time I want and I also have a 16' utility trailer as backup.

Since we have both owned a DRW and a SRW we can both speak from experience about which we prefer. I think anyone making recommendations for a choice should have that experience. Especially when talking to someone who has never towed before. From my EXPERIENCE the DRW is the best truck for someone who will use it primarily for towing and plans on getting a very heavy 5er. It is a more stable towing platform. For someone who will have to use their tow vehicle as a daily driver then they have to consider the downside of the DRW poor maneuverability.

Would you agree that we are OBLIGATED to share all our experience with a newbee and point out the pros and cons of the choices? It is their choice but they are ASKING for our opion based on our EXPERIENCE!
Old 01-27-2018, 12:31 PM   #55
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Talking

Quote:
I can respect that decision Capt. and all the reasons you cited make the SRW a clear choice for you no argument there.

And as I said we have nothing against a SRW and will be buying a 1/2 ton SRW for our daily driver and non towing long road trip vehicle. I don't like parking my dually anymore than you did.

I hope you can respect that we purchased our DRW because it fits our needs and lifestyle. At the time of purchase of the truck we were not for certain what 5er we would end up with. All we did know is that it would be VERY big and heavy. We bought the DRW almost exclusively for towing. SAFE towing of a very heavy payload was paramount to my decision making process. And since I plan to add a welder/generator in the bed the long bed was critical to my plans (besides I like the long bed for getting lumber and it seems to ride a little better than a short bed). Before the critics say anything I will state I have a tractor and can remove the welder any time I want and I also have a 16' utility trailer as backup.

Since we have both owned a DRW and a SRW we can both speak from experience about which we prefer. I think anyone making recommendations for a choice should have that experience. Especially when talking to someone who has never towed before. From my EXPERIENCE the DRW is the best truck for someone who will use it primarily for towing and plans on getting a very heavy 5er. It is a more stable towing platform. For someone who will have to use their tow vehicle as a daily driver then they have to consider the downside of the DRW poor maneuverability.

Would you agree that we are OBLIGATED to share all our experience with a newbee and point out the pros and cons of the choices? It is their choice but they are ASKING for our opion based on our EXPERIENCE!
Depends~~~ I would go dually at 16K and heavier, not because I'd want to but feel for the payload and tire ratings would require it. I have pulled 15K 5ers nearly 50,000 miles with a SRW without a problem and only about 11,000 with the dually. Those miles were all over including the mountains and in some windy conditions. I only park for ice and snow. Although the majority of the miles were interstate, a lot were on country roads and city streets. Knowing my SRW preference I will always select a 5er with a gvwr under 15,500# which some may not wish to self impose. The majority of models by every builder is below that weight rating.
My neighbor in the CG now has a Ram LB dually pulling a Redwood. He is considering downsizing as his wife always drove his TV but will not drive the dually, not even without the 5er hitched. A bigger problem as they full time. I don't think it possible to find a SRW with the payload for his 5er.
Comes down to need or preference and don't forget ~~ front and rear wheels are different if you travel out in NoWhere USA. I carried 2 spares, 1 for each axel.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #56
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Hmmmm.....I didn't realize the wheels were different? That would be a big negative!

You hit on the main reason we went 1 ton dually. We didn't want any restrictions on what we bought. And even if we bought a 3/4 ton towable 5er, I still like the extra cushion of capacity for safety sake. I never liked to haul at capacity. I did enough of that in my youth when I drove a bobtail with 27 55 gallon drums of hazardous chemical on it!!!! They loaded our trucks right up to the limit and I was just very lucky. So yeah now that I have a say in the matter, I want a little extra capacity.....

We are a long way from full time but I think we would likely have two vehicles when we move around. Our thoughts are we would stay at one location for 3-4 months taking day trips in the area and then move. It wouldn't be like we were on the highway every day with two trucks. Besides, it is likely that I will want a fishing boat particularly when we are anywhere near salt. While we can carry kayaks and a motorcycle on board our new 5er basement garage, a center console boat with 200hp is going to be a bit much for the garage LOL.....
Old 01-27-2018, 05:46 PM   #57
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Same here we purchased the truck to tow a fairly heavy Montana period. This truck turned 10 years old in Jan 18 has 95K miles on it 90/95% of that with a Montana behind it.The truck was ordered with a GVW of 13K and a Carry capacity of 4268 Lbs.The truck ready to tow, full fuel and Helen and I aboard hits the scales 9215lbs theses Fords are heavy.That gives us a real carry capacity of 3785Lbs plenty of room for pin weight. I do not know about stability but with more rubber on the road it should be. We have never driven the Montana,s in snow, ice, etc but in my experience no pickup truck is good in snow or ice in Western PA we loaded sand bags or filled up the bed with snow to give them some traction. That it fits in a car wash or through a bank drive in or in our garage is not why we purchased it.We would hope that the tow vehicle is selected based on need, experience and knowledge. Everyone's selection is right for them
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #58
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Same here we purchased the truck to tow a fairly heavy Montana period. This truck turned 10 years old in Jan 18 has 95K miles on it 90/95% of that with a Montana behind it.The truck was ordered with a GVW of 13K and a Carry capacity of 4268 Lbs.The truck ready to tow, full fuel and Helen and I aboard hits the scales 9215lbs theses Fords are heavy.That gives us a real carry capacity of 3785Lbs plenty of room for pin weight. I do not know about stability but with more rubber on the road it should be. We have never driven the Montana,s in snow, ice, etc but in my experience no pickup truck is good in snow or ice in Western PA we loaded sand bags or filled up the bed with snow to give them some traction. That it fits in a car wash or through a bank drive in or in our garage is not why we purchased it.We would hope that the tow vehicle is selected based on need, experience and knowledge. Everyone's selection is right for them
95K in 10 years is hardly used. My 2016 F350 is just a few over 50K in 15 months.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:25 PM   #59
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
My 08 has 78,000 on it and it’s still a keeper. It’s kept inside and still looks like new and runs better than new.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #60
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
We are looking to upgrade our tow vehicle soon, probably in the next few months. It is appearing more and more likely to be a 2018 SuperDuty DRW model. I am not a fan for the DRW although I know it's strong points and that is why I am going that direction. Our unit has a 16 K GVWR and we are looking at possibly upgrading to a SOB that is a wide body and the weight is 2k/5k heavier. No SRW will come close to being able to legally hold the pin weight. I would buy a SRW if any of the big three would actually make a rig with SRW that utilized the 19.5" in rubber and got a beefier rear end to support the extra weight capacity that the 19.5" tires bring. That would be the truck I would buy in an instant. My opinion is that would be the best of both worlds for me.
Also on an earlier post it was commented that the 6.7 and tranny were the same in both SRW and DRW but I have to say either the tranny is a bit different or the software is doing it but the DRW puts more power to the ground starting in first gear. The SRW doesn't put full power to the ground until third or forth gear if I recall correctly. By the way I am talking 2017 and later Ford.

Tom Marty