Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2018, 07:26 AM   #1
Rodgers51
Established Member

M.O.C. #21113
Tow capabilities

I am looking to buy a Montana 3820FK I was trying to figure out weights etc. I have a Chevrolet 3500 SRW with a max weight of 3831 per yellow sticker. I believe that is with a tank of fuel. The 5th wheel has tongue weight 2810 and the trailer is 13895. The hitch must weigh 150 etc what is your recommendation? Currently I have a 2012 Montana Big Sky which is about 1500 lbs lighter and have had no problems pulling.

Rodgers51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:38 AM   #2
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Sounds OK, but what is the GVWR of the 5er? Is the 13,895 dry or gross?
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
Rodgers51
Established Member

M.O.C. #21113
I believe Dry cargo not to exceed 3690
Rodgers51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:29 AM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I would guess that you will be marginal at best. If the numbers you list are correct you could have a gross of just over 17K which could give you a Pin in the 3500 Lb range, which wouldn't leave you any room for passengers or cargo in the TV. But as has been said time and time again, you won't know for sure until you load up and go across some scales.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Do a Google search for : tow ratings finally pass the sniff test. I think you will find these tow ratings don’t mean much. For instance the DRW trucks are held to a lower standard than SRW trucks. It’s no wonder they are rated higher.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #6
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
For instance the DRW trucks are held to a lower standard than SRW trucks.
How so?

The Aviators TV Website | Facebook Page | YouTube Channel
Streaming Episodes (iTunes, Google Play, Amazon)
OutlawPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #7
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers51 View Post
I believe Dry cargo not to exceed 3690
That makes a difference. My 2016 is rated to tow 15,200, I'm running about 1170# under that. My payload would be extremely close with the 3400#+ total cargo weight. Also, some floor plans like front kitchen the pin weight starts out heavier than others. Your set up is going to be very close if not a little over payload and tow weight, at least my truck would be.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
cardinal96ss
Established Member

M.O.C. #20104
OutlawPilot- Although DRW will give you more stability, I think it has slightly lower weight ratings due to weight of the extra wheels and tires.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #9
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal96ss View Post
OutlawPilot- Although DRW will give you more stability, I think it has slightly lower weight ratings due to weight of the extra wheels and tires.
Ah, I see. I wasn't sure what the comment was referring to but this makes sense.

The Aviators TV Website | Facebook Page | YouTube Channel
Streaming Episodes (iTunes, Google Play, Amazon)
OutlawPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:40 PM   #10
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
In my opinion one should never rely on manufacturers published weights but should put their loaded and ready complete rig on reliable scales. I personally prefer CAT scales.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #11
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Time to pop some popcorn and read the various post for and against SRW based on weights. This is and interesting post that will attract a host of readers, but in my 8 years of reading and watching will not change minds. I like my popcorn buttered.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawPilot View Post
How so?
Thanks for asking.
According to the J2708 tow standard:
0 to 30 times for a SRW is 12 seconds for a DRW it’s 14 seconds.
40 to 60 MPH for a SRW is 18 seconds for a DRW it’s 21 seconds
0 to 60 MPH for SRW is 35 seconds for a DRW it’s 40 seconds.
If they were held to the same standard would the SRW truck score as good as the DRW? This isn’t all of the J2708 standard. There is more. Everybody who tows anything needs to read the standard.
I just ordered a F150 Ford. Property equipped a F150 can tow 13200 pounds. Does anyone seriously think a F150 can safely tow 13200 pounds? Not me!
Lynwood
Old 01-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #13
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Thanks for asking.
According to the J2708 tow standard:
0 to 30 times for a SRW is 12 seconds for a DRW it’s 14 seconds.
40 to 60 MPH for a SRW is 18 seconds for a DRW it’s 21 seconds
0 to 60 MPH for SRW is 35 seconds for a DRW it’s 40 seconds.
If they were held to the same standard would the SRW truck score as good as the DRW? This isn’t all of the J2708 standard. There is more. Everybody who tows anything needs to read the standard.
I just ordered a F150 Ford. Property equipped a F150 can tow 13200 pounds. Does anyone seriously think a F150 can safely tow 13200 pounds? Not me!
Lynwood
The original poster asked a tow weight question because, I assume, he is concerned for his safety. With that in mind, shouldn't we be talking about how long it takes to STOP in a DRW vs SRW not how fast they get to speed? After all a couple seconds longer getting to speed isn't going to get ya killed but not having 6 wheels on the ground doing the stopping might. And that is before we even START to talk about greater lateral stability and weight distribution over more tires.......

We can argue all day about the performance of DRW vs SRW and all the associated advantages or disadvantages (like parking a dually) but when it comes to safety (which should be paramount) I don't think there is anyone on here that can argue that a dually is safer than a SRW! Nobody buys a dually because they like to drive a big truck around. We buy them because we know they are the safest thing to tow heavy loads with.

Disclaimer: This post is not intended to offend SRW owners. If you have a reason to buy an SRW then that's fine. My intent here is to make sure a potential owner is aware of all the facts particularly as they relate to SAFETY!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:39 PM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
James I think I stressed you should go look at the tow standards. They have to do with a lot more than 0 to whatever speed.
Several years ago we were at a shooting match in Ohio. A half dozen of us were setting around at my camper. Jim Carmichael was there. Jim was Outdoor Life’s head out door writer for 40 years. One of the guys there said he didn’t read Outdoor Life. Wasn’t anything in it anymore.
Jim looked at him smiled and ask did you read this article last month.
Dan no I didn’t.
Jim what about this article the month before.
Dan no again.
Jim what about this article the month before that.
Dan no I didn’t.
Jim smiled as only Jim Carmichael can and changed the subject.
So did you read the J2807 tow standard?
Lynwood
Old 01-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
mlh,
You have totally lost me. The conversation was about safety and specifically tow weights and I don't see how you got to the 0 to 60 speeds from there??? But since you went there my question is why are we talking about how fast a tow truck is to begin with. That information has NOTHING to do with how SAFE a tow vehicle is! That was my point. And when someone stops reading Outdoor Life they OBVIOUSLY would not have read the latest article. They made the choice long before that based on earlier reading. I don't read it anymore either. But lets stay on topic before the forum police crack down on us. The topic as I understand the original poster is SAFETY! Now if you want to talk about how much faster a DRW will stop compared to a SRW or how there are additional tires on the ground for better weight distribution well then that is something that sounds like a natural extension of the thread. Lets talk about how a DRW might be rated for less cargo weight but that cargo weight will be distributed across an additional 2 tires which makes the weight carried by each tire less and therefore the potential for catastrophic tire failure will be lower. Likewise in the event that there is a tire failure on the rear there is a safety factor built into a DRW in that there is a second tire to carry the load and the vehicle is much more likely to be brought to a safe stop. Now that is the sort of information that would useful for the original poster to consider right?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:34 AM   #16
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Interesting comment/assumptions regarding DRW stopping faster vs SRW trucks. On dry pavement yes I'll buy that but on wet pavement I would have to say the tables get turned very quickly, add a little sleet or snow into the mix and the DRW falls behind.

Each to their own and I've said it before, buy and tow with what you feel safe and comfortable with. If you are worried about weight go buy some more for your tow vehicle, I had bought/paid for higher towing weights when I had my 2500 Duramax, not for the RV but for the tractor backhoe trailer combination I tow behind it. When I bought the 2017 3500 duramax the manufacturer weights were already where l needed them so my cost of plates and registration were reduced, I did had some extra for just in case. Just remember in most jurisdictions you don't need a higher level drivers license if towing a recreational vehicle but when you back in and hook up to a horse trailer or industrial trailer etc then you better know exactly what you've got on the back of the tow vehicle and you better have the appropriate drivers license.......otherwise IMHO, for most jurisdictions worrying about RV weights is good for conversation and I've got my popcorn on waiting for the show.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #17
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recumbent View Post
Time to pop some popcorn and read the various post for and against SRW based on weights. This is and interesting post that will attract a host of readers, but in my 8 years of reading and watching will not change minds. I like my popcorn buttered.
X2.. but I am surprised there hasn't been more heated posts.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #18
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
X2.. but I am surprised there hasn't been more heated posts.
X 3. By now we should have heard an F350 is needed for a popup and anything heavier requires a dually. Just made a new batch of popcorn 🍿
Old 01-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #19
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
I have towed Montanas with F250 and F350 SRW and DRW. It would be interesting to know if there are exact standards for stopping a SRW vs DRW for specific payloads/towing weights. I think we are we just basing our guesses on preconceived ideas that four rear tires are better for stopping than two. Actually, we just don't know, but we think we may know cause 4 is bigger than 2. I knew this would be an enjoyable thread to read.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:15 PM   #20
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recumbent View Post
I have towed Montanas with F250 and F350 SRW and DRW. It would be interesting to know if there are exact standards for stopping a SRW vs DRW for specific payloads/towing weights. I think we are we just basing our guesses on preconceived ideas that four rear tires are better for stopping than two. Actually, we just don't know, but we think we may know cause 4 is bigger than 2. I knew this would be an enjoyable thread to read.
You have brought up a very good question. The J2807 tow standard specifies stopping from 20 MPH. That’s Walmart parking lot speed. I have searched and can find nothing on stopping on from 70 MPH. From 20 is very different from 70 MPH. How hot will the brakes get? How much will they fade? Can we keep the truck in our lane? The tow standards have very little to do with the way we actually use our campers.
Something else I think has made the tow standards what they are is representatives from the auto companies got together and came up with them. I would have been a lot more comfortable if an independent group of experts would have done it instead of representativeness from the auto companies.
Do a Google search for tow standard J2807. It’s a good read for anyone pulling anything heavy on the road.
Lynwood