Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2017, 11:41 AM   #21
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Ours came with the truck. By the way others are talking, there is something inside the truck in addition to whatever is on the tires. I am assuming that whatever part of the system is inside the truck is what's interfering with the dash cam.

This us our first vehicle with a TPMS so we know very little about them.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:16 PM   #22
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Yes. With factory TPMS you shouldn't have a problem. When you add a dash cam and run a TPMS for your trailer and have the monitor in the front, it can cause an interference.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:57 PM   #23
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
Yes. With factory TPMS you shouldn't have a problem. When you add a dash cam and run a TPMS for your trailer and have the monitor in the front, it can cause an interference.
We have factory installed TPMS on the truck and none on the trailer. The dash cam interfered with it.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:15 PM   #24
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Scottz, I absolutely recommend a dash cam. In April I had an incident where a guys tire and wheel came off his truck and hit me head on. When speaking with his insurance carrier the video I sent him sealed the deal. There was no question about what happened and who did what. My dash cam records GPS info and shows the exact speed I was traveling.
There are a ton of makes, styles and sizes out there. There are lots of features (like G-sensor, sleep/park mode, lane departure, collision warning, etc.) available also. Mine (have several now) are from Cobra Electronics but you need to do some homework and find the one best suited for you. You can spend between $49 and $499 for a dash cam. I even have one in the rear window of the Monty looking at what's happening behind me when traveling.
That being said, it boils down to being able to PROVE what did or did not happen. The dash cam doesn't lie (though some sharp attorneys can make it seem otherwise). It shows exactly what occurred out front. And it'll show what YOU did or didn't do also.
The way things are today I will not travel without one.
Good luck.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:10 PM   #25
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
We have factory installed TPMS on the truck and none on the trailer. The dash cam interfered with it.
Interesting. I've heard of it messing with the radios on all models including the '17s, but not the TPMS.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:41 AM   #26
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Resurrecting an oldie - but still relevant.

I have an Auto-Vox/Spytec/Rexing A118C 'black box' dash cam that, quite frankly has a screen that is too small !1.5") for my aging eyes to see easily. I do want to use a dash cam, especially with the current batch of entitled knot head drivers.

Interesting that there are comments about electrical interference as I had some when I tried a good brand aftermarket LED headlights - TPMS and a couple OBD code drops.

With that said, are there any suggestions for a good, inexpensive, 3-4 inch (or wider) screen dash cam that most likely wont interfere with my truck's electronics.

Also, if anyone is interested in this unused dash cam, or even the LED headlights at a very reasonable price, shoot off a PM to me.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:30 AM   #27
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I have a Garmin 30 that I got through Amazon for less than $100. It also has a fairly small screen - about 2 inch. No sure why you want a bigger screen - I mount mine behind the mirror so none of my view is blocked. If you have an accident - turn it off to save data and then review and save to your computer. No issues with interference. Two negatives - no audio and it records your speed which may not be great even if you are only a little over the limit.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #28
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
I have a Garmin 30 that I got through Amazon for less than $100. It also has a fairly small screen - about 2 inch. No sure why you want a bigger screen - I mount mine behind the mirror so none of my view is blocked. If you have an accident - turn it off to save data and then review and save to your computer. No issues with interference. Two negatives - no audio and it records your speed which may not be great even if you are only a little over the limit.
I have a close up vision issue with small print that without Coke bottle lenses ..... which are then useless beyond 4-5 feet when I don't need any specs

I looked at Garmin's offerings and their 35 or 45W, the least expensive models is $150 on Amazon as well as the Garmin site and outside of my budget for one of these gadgets.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do not use it To view we use it to record.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:29 PM   #30
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
ditto on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We do not use it To view we use it to record
Ditto on this I have one in each of my 4 vehicles and one on the back of the camper. I just take the chip out and plug it into the lap top to view. All the screens are going to be tiny and hard to see clearly.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #31
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
scottz,
Here's a clip from my dashcam from last April.

I sent this little video to the other guys insurance company and it basically stopped his aurgument about where the tire may have come from.

I have a dashcam in every vehicle and use them always. This cam is made by Cobra (same as the CB radios) and it does not interfere with any systems in my truck. But there are many brands out there, you'll have to do some homework.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #32
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slufoot733 View Post
scottz,
Here's a clip from my dashcam from last April.

I sent this little video to the other guys insurance company and it basically stopped his aurgument about where the tire may have come from.

I have a dashcam in every vehicle and use them always. This cam is made by Cobra (same as the CB radios) and it does not interfere with any systems in my truck. But there are many brands out there, you'll have to do some homework.

I did see the Cobras on Amazon and will take another look see. Good thing you had it as it sure can shut any argument down in a hurry.

As a note to a couple others that commented - I don't need a bigger screen dash cam to view the video, just need it to set up and monitor functions. The set up features print and symbols are to small to see easily for my near vision. My wife will be using that one in her new Escape
Old 04-04-2018, 11:30 AM   #33
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Hello,

just recently we had a lady rolling back into our truck on a red traffic light.
Her boyfriend started blaming us for rolling into them etc...
As he did not stop this nonsense we called 911 and police officers arrived.
They had to listen to the whole story of this boyfriend and all technical things like hill assist which would prevent that car from his girlfriend of rolling backwards bla bla bla

Police Officer, very nice btw, asked him to stop and what my version was.
I just stated that this man was telling an interesting fiction and how about we watch the video from my dash cam

Police Officer watched the video and asked the boyfriend and girlfriend if they still want to file a report as this gentlemen (myself) did not do anything wrong.

The couple had a little an argument which was ended by her that she does not have the money for a ticket or report right now.

Its getting crazy what type of people are out there.

Now also my wife agrees having dash cams in both our cars is not wasted.

We have the Blackvue DR650 and an older model. Always front and back cam.
They can be installed very discreet behind front mirror.

Mike

https://www.blackvue.com/
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #34
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by suny07 View Post
Hello,

We have the Blackvue DR650 and an older model. Always front and back cam.
They can be installed very discreet behind front mirror.

Mike

https://www.blackvue.com/
Thanks Mike.

What you said is one of the reasons we need a dash cam. Our formerly small town (just rated #1 in NY State to buy a home) no longer is small and the influx of people has brought in some really horrible drivers. My wife has decided that she really likes the small size unit that we already have and is going to use it in her car which is pretty small in comparison to my truck. I'll take a good look at the Blackvue models for that truck along with a few of Amazon's offerings. That brand you are using may be out of my price comfort range right now.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #35
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I installed a front and rear facing dash cam and recommend them to everyone. With all the people on their cell phones or texting while driving I won't be without one. Mine is hard wired and all automatic. It continuously records while the key is on. Then goes into parking mode when key is turned off. In parking mode I have it set to record on motion detection or incident detection (if some hits your car). If you are serious about getting one I suggest investing in a high quality unit. I have the Thinkware F770 with the front and optional rear camera. I have had it for 3 years now and it works great. It was the top of the line when I bought it back then and still is a top rated camera. Here is a link to where I bought it. They have a lot of good info about dash cameras and how to choose the right one. Even if you don't buy it from them read all the info and watch the videos they have and you will learn a lot and be well informed if you decide to get one. Their tech support and customer service is great and they stand behind their products.

https://www.blackboxmycar.com
DmaxDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:55 AM   #36
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxDually View Post
I installed a front and rear facing dash cam and recommend them to everyone. ..................
I considered a front- rear camera but looked at the potential angle after mounting it and decided that it wouldn't work well on a high long bed pickup. I still may add a second but independent camera but it will be a low end. Also may add one to the 5ers rear window after a very close call in St. Louis a couple years back.

I bookmarked your attachment to read after I have my second cuppa to fully wake up. Surprised I didn't see that website when looking.

Oh and what I ended up with was an Old Shark with a screen that I can easily read the set up info.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:11 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have one in the F-350 and use it when in travel.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:11 AM   #38
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Dave W,
I have a front/rear view dashcam BUT I also place one in the rear window of the trailer. It runs independant of the one in the truck of course. I figure I need to know what happened behind me as much as what happened in front of me. Hopefully....nothing happens. But if it does I'll have some video for proof, one way or the other.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:27 AM   #39
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I have on but just in front. Thinking of one for the rear of the Rig.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote