Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2016, 11:02 PM   #101
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
when you get a chance, take a look at what size truck is pulling a trailer. most are 3/4. and most are diesel.

as for a dually, personally it is way too big for us to use since we only have one vehicle. we love our short box and would never get a long box again.

mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:54 AM   #102
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I guess I just don't get the "Dually is too big as we only have one vehicle". There are many of us out here that just have one vehicle and it's a Dually, generally extended or crew cab and we go everywhere with it. I've even taken ours through bank drive-thrus, now we do tend to stay away from parking garages just because of heights.
But in the end, "To each, their own".
Old 09-28-2016, 06:10 AM   #103
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
There really is no right choice for everyone, but staying within your weight limits is a must. Some like the smaller trucks for ease of getting around in, but I went with as safe a tow vehicle I could get, just because I did not want that 41 foot 16k 5th wheel behind me dictating where I would be headed. I went with the Long bed and dually and 4.1 gears, and air bags and turbo and trans braking etc. I also went with a 25k hitch made in America that is connected right to the frame thru the bed of the truck. I have tire sensors for all 10 tires. So I can travel with safety as my main concern. Granted, parking the dually in regular parking lots is a chore, but I usually go out farther and walk more. Plus people tend to not want to park next to you, so all is good. So go with what is more important to you. Ease of parking your tow vehicle, or maximum safety in towing your rig. Heck, if ease of getting around in your vehicle is that big of an issue, go with a motorhome, and pull whatever tiny car you want behind it?
Old 09-28-2016, 07:44 AM   #104
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
travel safety has always driven our tow choices.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #105
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
You buy the truck you need, not the truck you want. Most Montanas need a diesel dually. Of course a 3/4 diesel will pull it, but it will also be over weight (GVWR). Truth be told, there is no excuse for not having a vehicle fully capable of pulling and carrying the pin weight of whatever 5th wheel you have. If you can't afford it, fine...don't get a Montana, get a smaller RV. You should not be on the road with an overloaded truck.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #106
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
I get the argument that some are making about a big, cumbersome dually. I've had both and it did take some getting used to when I started driving this big honking truck around. But, you adjust, and it doesn't feel big anymore. And I know I'm much better off when the Montana is in tow.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #107
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I will venture into the deep water here with my own opinion which matches some and doesn't match others. First know the actual weights of your truck and of the trailer. Depending on the trailer weight you can safely tow with SRW 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. More trailer weigh (especially pin weight) means you might need to step up to a dually. Every one that touts the greatness of a 1 ton dually for safety just might be ignoring that a medium duty truck will be safer than their 1 ton. Of course the cost will be higher but some people say how can you put a cost on safety, the medium duty truck will definitely out do the 1 ton dually. What I am really trying to show is that there is always a bigger safer truck to pull your Montana with. I would say that a new SRW truck is probably a way better tow vehicle than a dually out of the 80,s, 90,s or possibly the 2000,s. I will be upgrading my tow vehicle in the next few years and yes I know I am at max rated capacity. That is some of the reasons that I will be upgrading. The real information that will make my decision on what to buy is the actual weights of what I will tow and the capacity rating of the truck I will buy. I think if the numbers back it than I am safe enough.
I don't think having a dually will save your butt if some clown cuts you off and slams on the brakes. Odds are you will still hit them, I would think that the dually will provide a more stable towing platform with greater capacity pin weight.

Tom Marty
Old 09-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #108
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I will venture into the deep water here with my own opinion which matches some and doesn't match others. First know the actual weights of your truck and of the trailer. Depending on the trailer weight you can safely tow wit SRW 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. More trailer weigh (especially pin weight) means you might need to step up to a dually. Every one that touts the greatness of a 1 ton dually for safety just might be ignoring that a medium duty truck will be weigh safer than their 1 ton. Of course the cost will be higher but how can you put a cost on safety, the medium duty truck will definitely out do the 1 ton dually. What I am really trying to show is that there is always a bigger safer truck to pull your Montana with. I would say that a new SRW truck is probably a way better tow vehicle than a dually out of the 80,s, 90,s or possibly the 2000,s. I will be upgrading my tow vehicle in the next few years and yes I know I am at max rated capacity. That is some of the reasons that I will be upgrading. The real information that will make my decision on what to buy is the actual weights of what I will tow and the capacity rating of the truck I will buy. I think if the numbers back it than I am safe enough.
I don't think having a dually will safe your but if some clown cuts you off and slams on the brakes. Odds are you will still hit them, I would think that the dually will provide a more stable towing platform with greater capacity pin weight.

Tom Marty
Old 09-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #109
pkbridges77
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sambam

I get the argument that some are making about a big, cumbersome dually. I've had both and it did take some getting used to when I started driving this big honking truck around. But, you adjust, and it doesn't feel big anymore. And I know I'm much better off when the Montana is in tow.
Me too. Yes we adjusted and you quickly learn to stay out of drive-thrus and automated car washes. I will say, tho, that for the first time I was charged a $15 permit fee to go through the Zion tunnel, without the trailer, but because of the width of my dually. I thought the Ranger was smoking something but she wouldn't budge so I just turned around and said we would come back with a different vehicle. Two days later I came back with the truck and got the same Ranger. I paid the $15 and took my sweet time going through the tunnel.
pkbridges77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:31 AM   #110
_MP_
Established Member

M.O.C. #19068
Reading this thread gave me some doubts about picking up tomorrow, but then I remembered some handy tools I use from time to time to jog my memory. I don't tow often, mostly lumber for our restoration project. We were not thinking of owning a 5th wheel RV when we had the 5th wheel installed. I had no idea how heavy these things can be until recently.

Hope they help fellow newbies.

Calculator:
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

Ford Vin decoder:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php

_MP_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:58 AM   #111
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just do the numbers and do the math and purchase what will keep you within specs. We have the dually because our numbers said we needed one.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #112
Jays094

M.O.C. #18918
I had a similar problem in that I needed to make sure my tow vehicle capacity and trailer weight were compatible and after some time searching the net I found these links useful;

http://fifthwheelst.com/rvtc_enter.html

http://www.huskytow.com/towing-calculator/

https://ag.purdue.edu/extension/ppp/...alculator.xlsx

In my case I would prefer a Silverado 3500HD 4WD with diesel engine and Alison box in a crew cab standard bed with single wheels as I have another use for the vehicle as well as towing. When I matched it up with a post 2015 3710/11FL (we like the layout) I was able to determine that I was close to capacity although all three sites gave me slightly different answers when I inputted the same information - its was a nightmare. My plan is to go ahead and make sure I keep within trailer load capacity

I hope this helps and if there is better information out there I would love to know
Jays094 is offline   Reply With Quote