Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2012, 03:02 AM   #1
jimkottke
Established Member

M.O.C. #4164
New tow vehicle

2012 2500 duramax 2mo old and the poor exhaust quality is on and can't drive over 55mph. Don't know what the problem is put I am not liking this. Anybody had this problem with there silverado?

jimkottke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jim does it have the new system of Uria (spelling?)? If so, your tank maybe low or empty and the new duramax's will not run without it! It is the stuff that the government made sure the auto industries put on their trucks to keep the air pollution down! My new 2012 has it and I'm not happy with it but have no choice. The old system of spraying a small amount of diesel into the exaust to clean it out worked well but we'll see what happens with this deal. Since it is a 2012 I'm sure it is still under warranty so I'd be taking it back to a dealer and let them take care of it!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:53 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Like Rondo said it sounds like you are in Emergency mode. That is what all of these new trucks do when they run low on urea.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Rondo, the new trucks do both, inject fuel into the DPF (Diesel Particle Filter) during a Re-gen to burn off the soot and inject a small percentage of urea (DEF) into the exhaust and the exhaust then passes thru the SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) there by reducing the levels of NOx emissions. I don't mind the DEF half as much as the DPF. If towing I can tell when it kicks into a regen as I can watch the Fuel guage drop. Really hate it when you'r down to 1/4 tank looking for your next fuel stop and it starts a regen, you hold your breath and hope you find a fuel stop soon. Other than that I love our TV.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

Rondo, the new trucks do both, inject fuel into the DPF (Diesel Particle Filter) during a Re-gen to burn off the soot and inject a small percentage of urea (DEF) into the exhaust and the exhaust then passes thru the SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) there by reducing the levels of NOx emissions. I don't mind the DEF half as much as the DPF. If towing I can tell when it kicks into a regen as I can watch the Fuel guage drop. Really hate it when you'r down to 1/4 tank looking for your next fuel stop and it starts a regen, you hold your breath and hope you find a fuel stop soon. Other than that I love our TV.

Every time I think about getting a new truck, I read a post like this and decide mine works just fine.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ron you have a great tow truck, If it ain't broke dont fix it!
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #7
Dixiedawg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9927
Dodge trucks will be using Diesel Exhaust Fuel (DEF) starting in 2013 along with their DPF system to meet the new emission standards. Our 2012 RAM does use DEF and that is one reason why we bought a 2012. I don't like the DPF and the regen process and had problems with our 2009, but it was all covered by the 100,000 mile warranty.
Dixiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:33 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Our truck uses DEF, (Ford) and to date no problem, and if DEF is the tradeoff I have to pay to have the towing power and quietness of the new Diesel, I will gladly put up with it. I get three warnings for DEF replacement, starting with a 1/2 tank status. Plenty of time and miles left for topping off. Is an additional operating cost, but milage is better than I got with the 7.3 and the 6.0
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
Dixiedawg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9927
On re-reading my post I realized I made a mistake. Our 2012 RAM does not use DEF, but it does have the Diesel Particulate System. Sorry and I will re-read my posts before submitting next time.
Dixiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
Legislative History

[edit]National Clean Diesel Campaign
The National Clean Diesel Campaign focuses on the health of Americans due to the exhaust emissions from diesel engines; specifically nitrogen oxides and particulate matter. It includes regulations for new diesel engines, voluntary programs for the existing diesel fleet, diesel emission reduction technologies and strategies, and current collaboratives and partnerships.[4]

[edit]Differences in provisions of original bill and law in 2005
In July 2005, Wayne Nastri, Regional Administrator for Region 9 of the EPA, initially proposed the idea of a Diesel Emissions Reduction in the 109th Congress, 1st session. Nastri focuses on the negative health effects that diesel has on the environment. He concludes that diesel fuel, when burned, emits both nitrogen oxides and particulate matters. Nitrogen oxides contribute to smog, while the particle matter contributes to illness in humans. Nastri even states that diesel exhaust is a likely carcinogen. Nastri concludes his address by stating that even through the current efforts of the Clean Diesel Emissions Campaign, it will take a staggering amount of money that the EPA does not have. He acknowledges this however, and states he looks forward to working with the members of the Subcommittee on Clean Air, Climate Change & Nuclear Safety of the Committee on Environment & Public Works to reduce the health effects of diesel exhaust.[5]

[edit]Differences in provisions of DERA 2005 and DERA 2010
Under this renewal, DERA would be active until 2016, and the legislation would attempt to modify the program by adding a competitive bidding process for groups seeking funding. This bill would eligibility requirements for grants and low-cost loans to include individual owners and other private entities that manage diesel fleets and are contractors with the federal government. It would also require 95% of funds appropriated to be expanded in a given year on grants to eligible program participants. The bill would not authorize $100 million annually from fiscal year 2012 through 2016.[6]

[edit]Support

The Emissions Control Technology Association (ECTA), a coalition of a few hundred organizations that range from state and local government entities, to non-profit organizations and even private businesses and corporations, was one of the largest supporters of ECTA. On September 17, 2010, ECTA wrote a letter on behalf of its member organizations thanking Senators George Voinovich (R) and Tom Carper (D – Delaware) for their bipartisan efforts in helping pass the 2010 renewal of DERA. This was a success for ECTA, whose mission is to achieve higher air quality through public policy that curbs harmful emissions. In the letter, ECTA states that more than $20 in healthcare savings is generated for every dollar spent on DERA, yielding a high cost-benefit ratio.[7]

[edit]
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #11
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
jim, it is a 2012....get to the dealer and have them resolve the problem under your warranty.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
jimkottke
Established Member

M.O.C. #4164
On my way to the car dealer the poor exhaust went off and the truck started to run great. Hope this is the end of it.
jimkottke is offline   Reply With Quote