Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Stephen Underhill
Established Member

M.O.C. #12826
2012 F 250 wiring

I just purchased a 2012 F 250 and had the hitch installed, but I need a 7 pin connector put in the bed of the truck. Does anyone know if the 2012 F 250 has a pigtail tied up anywhere? Next option would be a 'T' connection but they are $$$.

Stephen Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Browsing the Ford Forums, I didn't find any "extra pigtail wiring" posts to use for an in-bed plug. Doesn't mean one absolutely doesn't exist. Heck ... after springing for a new truck ... save your energy and just grab a new Bargman or Valley "Y connector" for $100 .......... easy to install.
Here's another lead ... The Ford part number for the second wiring outlet is BC3Z-13A576-A.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Steve and Joyce,
Our 250 had the "pigtail" of which you speak. But we had ordered the "trailer towing" package and it might be that it is included with that. The 450 had the same setup. We did have to install the fuse for that circuit. They had included the fuse but it was in the glove compartment. When we installed the actual trailer hookup in the bed of the truck we then installed the fuse which was located in the motor compartment and not the location in the cab of the truck. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
With GM, it's part of the trailer package. Maybe the same for Ford?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I ordered the trailer package when I bought my brand new '06 and the fuse was already installed (maybe it's a dealer thing whether they do that or not).

Then, as for the second trailer bed connector, that got installed when the RV dealer provided the hitch (and wiring) and seeing what this looked like I'm sure there was nothing at the time. I had a couple problems (yup, two different ones) and since I then went "under there" each time to debug and fix things, I found the RV dealer just tapped off the existing wiring to the bumper plug and wrapped accordingly. I had to remove miles of tape to find a loose connector, then wrapped in back up to make it waterproof. The other problem was at the connector in the bed.

I'm not sure what it cost since this was all bundled into the purchase of my Monty, the hitch and the connector, but if it has to get done, then I paid someone since I didn't have too much issue with the price and didn't have enough confidence to do it myself. The rework and repair was my dime (free) and this is how I learned about all this.

Time, experience, and lesser retirement funds have changed my mind for next time that I'd be okay to do it myself or help someone else. Knowledge is king and as you gain it, things become easier (and cheaper).

Whatever you do (and I hope you do this), I'm sure whatever knowledge you gain from the MOC will be a lot better than when I did this and had none. Let us know how it goes.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
I did the same thing as Art on my 2009 f250; had the RV dealer make the connection for the 7 pin outlet in the bed. This was a mistake. Assuming that one of the largest RV dealers in the southeast would only do this the right way, i only learned, after it was done, that they used the cut-n-tap connectors spliced onto the wiring for the factory installed bumper outlet.

When I had other problems associated with the installation of the Super-Glide capture plate adapter, I wrote a fairly impressive letter to the owners/managers of the dealership. They did the balance of the rework obviously at no charge, installed the tires that i had asked for in closing the deal, and offered to replace the wiring harness on the truck and to use the plug and play T harness built for the truck. I graciously accepted everything except for them to do any more monkeying around with the wiring under my brand new at the time, $60k truck.

So I got the rig home and went to my local trailer builder supply shop and purchased the factory fit T harness to connect at the plug-in on the back of the bumper connector plug. This is the only way that I would do this from now on. The clip on splicers have never been reliable on any boat, cargo, utility trailer or RV that i have ever owned. The harness was 110.00, but as Art said, crawling around under the truck and undoing what they did, then installing the harness myself was well worth the savings of the diesel for another tow to the dealer, and knowing that since i was the monkey doing the monkeying under the truck, i can blame no one but me if there is a mistake.

One caveat so to speak, on the rework that i did, is the location where the clips were removed from the factory harness. I could not see that any wire strands were cut by the clips. I used liquid electrical tape to cover the cuts in the insulation, then wrapped with Scotch Super 88 electrical tape
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
I don't think they offer the extra wiring on the 2011 up model Ford's. My 2012 didn't come with it, and I don't see it offered on any package. When hitch was installed I did the "T" connector. Didn't want my wiring spliced, this was easy plug and play. Can get them for under $100 on line. If you can use a drill, takes about 30 minutes to install.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I used the item below. It seems the big three use a common connector behind the bumper, you just unplug and plug in this y cable. Requires you to drill a 2 in hole where you want the plug.

http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...893-11932.html
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
My 2012 F350 came with the wiring in place. Look beside your spare tire and see if there are two connectors attached to the frame with blank plugs in them. I bought the 7 pin in bed plug from Ford that comes with the fifth wheel/gooseneck prep package. I had to cut a hole in the bed for the wiring to go through, and cut a couple of tabs off of the Ford plug mount so it would sit flush, then I drilled holes for the mounting bolts and installed threadserts (sic) to screw them into, ran the wires and plugged them in. As others have said though, if the truck didn't come with the tow package, the wiring may not be there. Mine didn't come with the up-fitter switches but I ordered them on the assumption that the wiring was already in place, nope, not there. Tried to order the wiring and 4 relays, not available, took the switches back for a refund.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
My 2011 did not. I hardwired in with solder and shrinktube, at purchase. No problems to date.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
Stephen Underhill
Established Member

M.O.C. #12826
Thanks everyone. Guess I will have to get under there and look around. My Chevrolet 2500 had the wires there and I am hoping this Ford does to. If not the 'T' connector will be another option
Stephen Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
LonnieB... congrats on the new TV! I hope you can get the picture updated soon. I've seen that same sig picture since I joined the MOC and look forward to a picture of your new truck and the Monty.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
here it is again. this is plug-n-play
Plugs in 'between' connector at 7 pin pumper plug

http://www.etrailer.com/merchant2/gr.../2/0/20110.jpg

here's a video for 2012
same as draw-tite harnness i used on my 2009
http://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-f...893-11932.aspx
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
X3 Ishler's and Fauch's link. I use the same one, and it was perfect.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote