Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Dixiedawg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9927
Full Synthetic Diesel Oil

I was shopping around yesterday for Valvoline Premium Blue Full Synthetic 5W40 and found it on sale at NAPA for $21.99 gallon. The non-synthetic 15W40 was also on sale for $12.99. I assume that it is a national sale and did not ask when the sale ended. I thought this was a good price, but I may be wrong. I plan to use this oil in our new 2012 RAM 3500.

Dixiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Well guess I've been wasting my money for years them. I will use nothing else in my Cummins. JMHO
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I run full synthetic Mobile 1 in my 2011 Ram 3500 with the Cummins. Personal choice, but with the weight I tow and averaging 50k miles a year, I do it for wear protection of the motor. Not to mention the extreme winter temps I operate in as well. I consider it cheap insurance as my average cost of a synthetic oil change vs standard dino oil is less than $45 difference. I'm willing to take that chance.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quick question for those using synthetic in their Ram. How do you handle the oil change required message? From everything I have read this message is generated based on your driving style and has nothing to do with the condition of the oil. I only get about 4 to 5k miles before it tells me to change the oil. That seems way too soon to change synthetic but if I ignore the oil change message for too long it can become an issue with the 100k mile warranty. Jim
Old 10-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Synthetic is definitely better oil, no question. Just make sure this oil is for diesel engines. I use it in every engine I own. It will protect an engine especially a hot turbo better.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Royal Purple 15w40 in my Duramax. About 9,000 to 9,500 on an oil change using the oil minder on the truck. Started using in my tractor as well-the tractor stopped using oil between changes.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
I use Rotella T6 5w-40 Full Synthetic, get it at Walmart for 21.99/gal.
When I had my 2004 Cummins, I remember them not recommending full synthetic for the first 10k miles, so the engine could properly break in. Don't know about the new ones, but you might want to check.
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sheepdog

I use Rotella T6 5w-40 Full Synthetic, get it at Walmart for 21.99/gal.
When I had my 2004 Cummins, I remember them not recommending full synthetic for the first 10k miles, so the engine could properly break in. Don't know about the new ones, but you might want to check.
X2 On the Rotella. The truck tells me when to change and it usually is around 7500 miles.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
My Dodge dealer told me if they don't see an oil change every 5000 miles it gives Cummins and them a reason to back out of any warranty issues with the motor.... Don't know but I really don't see a whole lot of difference. I use synthetic in my bike and car but for the cost I don't see a whole lot of help out of it. It runs just as cool with dyno and if you change it at 7500 miles are you really saving anything.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RonD

The Cummins engine like regular 15-40, if your in very cold areas the 5-40 is good, but full syn in a late Cummins is a waist of money, it does nothing
And you know this how?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #11
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I use Rotella 15w40 in summer months and use a gallon of 5w40 synthetic mixed in, for winter months because of the cold weather starts.
Engine minder tells me to change oil around 9000 miles or so. I Usually change oil with about 15% left on the oil change.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:54 AM   #12
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
My original intent when I got my Silverado six years ago was to use synthetic for all of the reasons listed here, however I had a dealership service manager and two reputable repair shops tell me I was wasting my money. First of all, they said that the cost of the oil was more expensive than what you could save in better fuel mileage. Second, they said that under normal use and care the truck would perform as intended for it's lifetime with non synthetic as well as synthetic oil.

These same folks also mentioned that you shouldn't mix synthetic with regular motor oil. They recommended that you go through one oil change cycle with some kind of special detergent additive/oil to flush the non synthetic gunk out before using synthetic. Something about mixing the two could cause more damage than what you are trying to prevent.

This was all their opinions. Does anyone have any actual cost benefits to share? I will probably trade off the truck long before it gets to extremely high mileage.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:54 AM   #13
Dixiedawg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9927
In the 09 Dodge that we traded in we used Rotella 15W40 and used a lab to test the oil on a regular basis. The oil reports were exceptionally good. There is no longer a break-in period for the new Cummins, and the O/M states a requirement for full 5W40 synthetic for cold temps. The O/M also states that the oil needs to be changed at 7500 miles and the full synthetic oil can be used in all temp ranges. Since we live in SD chances are the temps will dip below 0 before we head south this winter. I don't change oil types during changes and given what is in the O/M and that we live in a cold climate it makes sense to start using synthetic from the get-go. And since Cummins recommends Valvoline Premium Blue it will eliminate at least one excuse if I have problems with the engine. I have no loyalty to any brand of oil, and believe if they meet the CJ4 specs they will work fine in diesel engines. My goal was to let members know that use Premium Blue that there is a good sale taking place at NAPA. I stocked up for the next several oil changes.
Dixiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:25 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandBonnie

My original intent when I got my Silverado six years ago was to use synthetic for all of the reasons listed here, however I had a dealership service manager and two reputable repair shops tell me I was wasting my money. First of all, they said that the cost of the oil was more expensive than what you could save in better fuel mileage. Second, they said that under normal use and care the truck would perform as intended for it's lifetime with non synthetic as well as synthetic oil.

These same folks also mentioned that you shouldn't mix synthetic with regular motor oil. They recommended that you go through one oil change cycle with some kind of special detergent additive/oil to flush the non synthetic gunk out before using synthetic. Something about mixing the two could cause more damage than what you are trying to prevent.

This was all their opinions. Does anyone have any actual cost benefits to share? I will probably trade off the truck long before it gets to extremely high mileage.
If you don't plan on keeping a vehicle for an extended period of time, then a good quality regular type oil is fine. Where synthetic has a big advantage over regular oil is during cold start ups (note I didn't say cold weather starts, though that applies too). Synthetics flow better at temps below normal operating temps and will cut down on the wear that occurs during cold starts - where some experts say 90% of engine wear happens. While this applies to any time the engine is started cold (no matter the outside temps) it becomes more important the colder the outside temps become. Many high performance cars now come with synthetic oil from the factory.

Other advantages of synthetic are high flash points, which shouldn't apply to daily drivers, and longer service life, which helps offset the extra cost. One other thing, you will never find any sludge in an engine that uses synthetic oil. Sludge can prevent proper oiling.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #15
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
For those with the new Ford 6.7, 5W40 (which is synthetic) is specified for use when towing or under load conditions. We use Rotella T6
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Really, if you look at all the replies to this topic, most if not all come down to an issue of cost if choosing not to use synthetic oil. Bottom line-if you find it affordable and it gives you peace of mind to use synthetic, by all means do so. It makes me feel better to have offered the best that I can to best protect that engine that I paid an extra 8-10 grand for.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BethandKevin

Really, if you look at all the replies to this topic, most if not all come down to an issue of cost if choosing not to use synthetic oil. Bottom line-if you find it affordable and it gives you peace of mind to use synthetic, by all means do so. It makes me feel better to have offered the best that I can to best protect that engine that I paid an extra 8-10 grand for.
Guys that have read my experience with synthetic oil can skip this repeat of what I have posted before:

For some folks here like me, it is not a matter of preference. I have seen first hand the difference between the two in real world use. I have used synthetic since 1978 and will never use anything but. My interest in mechanical things started at an early age, and while still in my teens, I worked with a friend doing mechanical work on the side. Not the normal stuff, we rebuild engines, did valve jobs, etc. to make extra money. I bought a new Blazer in 1973. I used Valvoline's best oil at the time, XLD, and changed both the oil and filter every 3,000 miles. By 40,000 miles, the engine had over 1/2 of sludge in the top of heads. When I bought my 78 1/2 ton, another friend recommend I try Mobil 1. I did. I changed the oil and filter, then at 3,000 I'd change the filter and top off the oil. At 6,000 miles, I'd change both and start the process over again. At 32,000 miles, I tore the engine down to put in a new cam. The inside of that engine was spotless - as clean as it was new. Not only that, but 78 was notorious for GM small block camshafts. That year, millions were made with improper heat treating, causing soft lobes on the front end of the shaft. GM had a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty and five of my friends who also bought new trucks/vans that year had to have their camshafts replaced - all before 11,000 miles. Mine lasted until 32,000, which is why I was replacing it at that time. Of course the cam I put back in wasn't stock - but that's another story! My point is clear however. The synthetic oil out performed the regular oil by a huge margin.

One last point. There are synthetic oils and there are synthetic oils - but not all are the same! If you want to use synthetic oil, make sure it says FULL synthetic. Through some weird government ruling, oil manufactures can actually label regular oil as synthetic, when in fact it is only partly so.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Rotella T6 all the way! But certainly synthetic over conventional is my choice.

Used it on my big rig and use it on my little rig. I'd rather waste a few bucks on an oil change vs lots of bucks on a rebuild.

My mechanic always marveled at how clean my Cummins was in my Kenworth... even after 500,000 miles.

Use the best oil that you can... Change it often... and use additives in your fuel. You wont go wrong. Just MHO based on a couple million trouble free miles
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I've talked to many OTR truckers who swear by Rotella 15w40, that's good enough for me. The cold starting argument really doesn't make much sense. All of these diesels (I think) have a preheat feature which should be used below 40 degrees.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #20
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dixiedawg

My goal was to let members know that use Premium Blue that there is a good sale taking place at NAPA. I stocked up for the next several oil changes.
And I thank you, went over to NAPA today and bought their last 3 gallons.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote