Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
E-Z Flex® Complete Tandem Kit

I just got the K71-653-00 E-Z Flex® Complete Tandem Kit for my 2006 3400rl monty has any one out there did this upgrade on there 5 wheel and if you did was it done by a shop or did you do it yourself. if you did it yourself my question did you put the trailer up on jack stands on both sides or did you just jack up the side your were working on the move to the other side. i have one set of stands but if i need to put the other side up i will need to buy another set. more tools guys and tools are like woman and shoes hahahaha

jimmy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimmy2

I just got the K71-653-00 E-Z Flex® Complete Tandem Kit for my 2006 3400rl monty has any one out there did this upgrade on there 5 wheel and if you did was it done by a shop or did you do it yourself. if you did it yourself my question did you put the trailer up on jack stands on both sides or did you just jack up the side your were working on the move to the other side. i have one set of stands but if i need to put the other side up i will need to buy another set. more tools guys and tools are like woman and shoes hahahaha

It is difficult to safely raise the entire trailer unless you have the proper tools. I do all my own maintenance, including adding the wet bolt kit, and only lift one side at a time, even though I do have enough hydraulic jacks to lift the whole thing. In order to do it right, you would need to lift each corner as well as the middle (front and rear of the axles). You can not rely on the landing gear - it is not designed for that type of use - nor the rear jacks.

NOTE! Make sure the trailer is level, opposite wheels immobilized with chocks, and the trailer attached to the tow vehicle with the vehicle parking brake engaged or its wheels chocked also.

NOTE! Do not attempt to raise the trailer by the axles alone or by the frame alone!

The process I used for the wet bolt kit would work best for you. I placed a 12 ton jack under the frame in front of the front spring mount and one behind the rear spring mount. Then I raised them up only enough to remove some of the weight off the axle. Note the word SOME! If you try to raise the frame enough to remove the tires, your risk distorting the frame and causing internal/external damage to the trailer. After relieving some of the sprung weight, I put a 2 ton hydraulic under the axle, between the u-bolts and lifted only enough to spin the wheel. Next, I removed that wheel and lowered the jack under the axle down to put the weight back on the 12 ton jacks. Then I repeated the process for the other axle/wheel. This leaves you with no spring weight on the axles, which you will need to do the work you are doing. If you need to beg under the trailer for ANY reason, add a couple of jack stands next to the hydraulic jacks.

Aligning the springs in the mounts is a lot easier with a jack under the axle to move the axle up and down, so I left the smaller jacks in place.

As a person who had a truck fall on them while working on a transmission, I am extremely lucky to be typing this. Do what I said above and you will be safe. Fail to do anything I mentioned and risk spending time in the hospital - if you're lucky like I was.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
thank you for the info i have a few jack stands that i was going to use alone with 2 bottle jack and a big floor jack my plan was the same as yours i just did known if i had to do both side at the same time i really did not like that hole idea of the trailer off the ground
Old 07-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
does any one have this on there monty
Old 07-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Jim Dickey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7372
I have it on the Mountaineer seems to work well. It was installed this past spring. Jim
Jim Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:46 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Different manufacturer, but similar procedure. I think if you hook the fiver up to the truck while doing this mod ... it adds peace of mind. http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...erms=,Equaflex
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:21 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

does any one have this on there monty
Ours came with it already installed. It doesn't look to complicated - just make sure you use the proper torque on everything. If you are going to install wet bolts (or if the kit came with them), there are some steps you take with them. Let me know an I'll either post them or find a link for them. The wet bolts are highly recommended.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
yes it comes with wet bolts and what i have read is they need to go in one way so that the hole is in the working part of the shackle some thing like that
Old 07-21-2012, 03:47 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

yes it comes with wet bolts and what i have read is they need to go in one way so that the hole is in the working part of the shackle some thing like that
There are a few other things about wet bolts. First, before installing them, make sure the small hole in the middle of the bolt connects to the larger hole drilled through for the grease fitting. Two of mine weren't and I had to drill them a bit deeper. Second, you may have to ream some of the bronze sleeves, as once the are pressed into the spring eyes, they may be too tight for the bolts. A reamer would be ideal for this, but many people don't have those. A drill could used, as well as sand paper wrapped around a wood dowel. Also if after installing, you have one that won't take grease, check the grease fitting to see if it works - some here have reported issues with these as well.

Have fun - and stay safe!
Old 07-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
jim n deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7406
Don't know where you live but if you live close to Goshen you mit get Drexter to put them on free. They put them on my 2001 that we had. If you are coming to the rally you could make an appointment for before or after and have them put on
jim n deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
i wish i was but I'm stuck her i ca. i got about $9,000.00 frame flex and the old girl will be in the shop for another week and we will be living at supper 8 for a little longer.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
well i got one side dun with the E-Z Flex® Complete Tandem Kit it when on good the only thing i had a problem with is the grease gun i got goes on the zerts find i just can not get it off do not known why i can rebuild a diesel engine in my sleep but i can not work a dam grease gun. will post some pic of the upgrade in the day or so if i can get them up
Old 08-01-2012, 02:39 AM   #13
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Twist the gun (or hose if you're using one) at a 90 degree angle to the fitting and it will come off easily. Glad the first half of the install went well!