Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
ISSUES, really getting old!

Ah the joy of a new Rv. You spend a lot of money to buy a nice new rv and yes, you know you will find things wrong. You do your PDI document everything with the salesman and take pictures. He says "trust me we'll get it all fixed". So you take your brand new Rv to the dealer knowing all will be fixed, that's what you were told, right. So after weeks at the dealer you get the call, the call that tells you they can't find anything wrong with the stuff you have listed or, what your hearing or seeing is exceptable and that's how the other units they checked are. I have a shower that whistles loud, stab jack motor that labors to run, refrigerator doors that don't seal I could go on, but I'll save you the pain. Wait one more, I think, no I know the black tank valve is leaking don't ask how i know. Anyway the service manager said I should buy an extra valve to put at the end of the outlet. WHAT!!!!! He said Keystone won't warrantee the valve because what is coming out is just the residual water left in the pipe after dumping WHAT!!! That's right up there with if you lock your deadbolt in the entry door it won't pop open while traveling down the road. WHAT!!!! This is just great what's exceptable to the repair guy is ok for you. I need to stop, my blood pressure is climbing fast. I'll name name after I get my RV back. Correct me if i'm wrong, shouldn't I be the one satisfied. Or, as long as the tech is satisfied I should be.

kevin

swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sure glad I took our new one in to Darrel at the rally. We took in what we thought were small issues and he found a couple of major issues. Left us at Kamp Keystone an extra day or two, but got it fixed and kept my blood pressure in line. Hope it goes better for you from here out, but it sounds like you need someone else working on it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
After getting all the problems solved I would not want to start over again with a new one.
It wasn`t the techs money, it was yours. You should be the one SATISFIED.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
After getting all the kinks out of my rig, we won't be buying another. That, plus I'm glad I couldn't afford a new one.

I sure don't like reading about others who have taken a leap for a new rig and then encounter problems like it's the first year they ever manufactured these things. It's pretty sad. Same goes for all the stuff they buy from vendors (like refrigerators) that should work too.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It all boils down to the selling dealer and the competency of their service department. Sorry your dealer is a slug...
Nothing worse than what you are enduring, sorry.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Document everything in a letter, address it to Keystone-Montana directly and copy the owner of the dealership (the owner or general manager, not the service department). This is totally unacceptable from any dealer. Stand your ground until you get the results you want, not what the service department wants. Keep us informed!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Ozz said it all. The dealer is the one who has fallen down on the job. Appears that all he/she is interested in is the money. That's one reason I buy from a dealer who always takes care of his customers.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Good luck.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
The dealer is right about one thing - adding a valve to the end of the sewer pipe. Many dump sites are not level and will leave residual waste water in the pipe. That was one of the very first mods we made to our trailer, and I really don't know why they didn't come that way. The rest as was already pointed out is the dealer copping out of his responsibilities.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #10
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Kevin, you shouldn't be so picky. It is sad state of affairs with this dealer. Sometimes I wonder if we should do a PDI before signing the papers, then tell the dealer - "when all these defects are fixed to my satisfaction then I will sign on the dotted line. If you don't like that then sell it to some other unsuspecting soul".
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:00 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We did what indy roadrunner suggests, did a PDI, 8 hours of it, climbing in, under, around, and on top of the unit, into closets, we did not miss much. The dealer was NOT happy, MMM, too bad. We had a list of 40 items that we wanted fixed. We gave them the list and left, told them we would be back when and if they fixed them all. The money went home in our pocket. Did I say, the dealer was NOT happy?

CountryGuy went back to the dealer about 5 days later, with the list in hand (ya, we had a copy) and pushed them a bit and on the 7th day, we went back over and found all 40 items fixed. No, the fixes were not all perfect, but, we did give them the check and took Tana home.

Two days later we discovered they had damaged the awning during that week of moving it around in their yard. Of course, they denied same.

So, word to the wise, do the PDI, don't give them the $$, make them fix everything you can find before you do hand over the $$, and if you have to leave the unit with them for a few days or a week, do the entire stinking PDI again. If we had, we would have found that awning damage.

We felt then, and it sure looks like it now, but, this will probably be the only Montana we will own, we simply cannot afford new and I am not sure either of us wants to go through the first year of ownership/fixemup stuff again. And that is why we went home with the $$ after the 8 hour PDI.

BY THE WAY, totally agree, your dealer and his staff are messing with you. SIGHHH
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:10 AM   #12
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Our 2011 3400RL was recently in for warranty work and told the dealer to add a valve on end of sewer pipe. I was going to pay for that. Our previous fifth wheel leaked (when you removed the cap to hook up the flexible hose)as did the new Montana. Montana covered this under warranty and we weren't charged. Go figure!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:27 AM   #13
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
Sorry you're having so much trouble - have to spoken to Keystone warranty directly? We had some trouble too this first year - the rear stabilizer motor died - keystone admitted problems with it and replaced it under warranty. The brakes didn't work from the get-go - they all had bad seals - our dealer (a great one) & Keystone replaced under warranty. Oh year, then our roof blew off driving on the highway - that's a story in itself (link: http://rvingandtravels.blogspot.com/...re-nevada.html). Moral of all this - contact Keystone - keep moving up the food chain until you find someone who will make it right. They do seem to stand behind their work, so stay calm (try, it's hard) and keep following through - with phone calls, letters, etc...

Good luck & keep us posted!!
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:58 AM   #14
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
This goes back to a basic problem. Keystone is never straight across the board with treating everyone the same.(example...decal thread) Some get good service when they call Keystone, some get none at all. I really think it is just the attitude of the CSR you happen to get on the phone. I ran into this years ago. Dealer used duct tape to repair a "T" that was cut in the belly membrane. I knew they made ABS tape for the repair. I called Keystone and inquired as to getting some tape, and explained how the dealer had used duct tape and sprayed it with black paint to cover it.(it came loose before I got the Mountaineer home from the shop) No way they would send me the tape. I asked if I might speak with someone that had the authority to authorize me getting the tape. She informed me she had that authority, but she was not going to do so.

BTW, that was my last conversation with Keystone customer service.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:19 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
And here I am thinking of buying new one?????
We have 2 holding tanks leaking AGAIN. That would make 5 leaking tanks since 2006.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:10 AM   #16
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Thanks everybody for the support. Well they called today and said everything is good to go. So we'll go get it go over things and bring her home. We will continue to check their work and other stuff and keep moving forward. We have been in contact with keystone, not very helpful so far. I good thing we had two kitchen chairs that were scratched. They said they had a guy fix them, i didn't like that and the keystone CS didn't either. I got two new chairs. Now the good part they could tell the scratched chairs from the new one, and keystone didn't want the other chairs back. so now I have six chairs. go figure.

again thanks, kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #17
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Swanny:
I always wondered how dealers like yours stay in business. To take an experience that should be enjoyable and turn it into something very aggravating is terrible.
During my experience I ran into some problems with my dealer. They are part of Camping World RV Sales so I contacted them and got the email of CEO (Marcus Lemonis). Sent him a little message about my dissatisfaction. The next day I got a call and an email from the dealer asking me what they could do for me. This was before they got the money but if you can find out if they are part of a larger group I believe your situation can be helped by contacting the parent company.
Good luck and I hope you can achieve satisfaction.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:31 AM   #18
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Kevin,

Sounds like your dealer is good at Lip Service! Yes, there are a few out there............

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:46 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Most dealers can do minor repair work but are not real good with major repairs.None of them seem to like warranty work. We live close enough to Goshen that we go there for any major repairs as there are many RV repair facilities in that area that know Rv's. The prime reason we go to the fall rallies is to arrange to have the major issues that occured that year corrected at one of the repair facilities or sometimes the service center.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:55 AM   #20
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

And here I am thinking of buying new one?????
We have 2 holding tanks leaking AGAIN. That would make 5 leaking tanks since 2006.
That's a key point with us Rich. Every time the thought of buying a new unit enters my head, I reflect back on all the stuff I've done to ours to make it the way we want it and correct factory issues.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote