Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #101
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Steve,

You took your pickup down the Shafer Trail!!!!!

I would need a blindfold to be a passenger even in a small jeep down that thing.

Grant

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #102
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Took a Hertz Ford mini van up the Shafer Trail several years ago. Had DW (used to it) her Brother and SIL (from Tennessee). BIL would not let me stop at all not even for the Big Horn Sheep.
Also drove our Jeep over Gemini Bridges several times.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #103
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BirdingRVer

Steve,

You took your pickup down the Shafer Trail!!!!!

I would need a blindfold to be a passenger even in a small jeep down that thing.

Grant
Sure did, Grant. It really wasn't as bad as it looks although some of the hairpin turns would have required a back and forth with a dually. I had the Ford at that time, crewcab, shortbed, with the tighter turn radius from the front suspension they put on the 4x4's from 2005 on. I think Vicki had her eyes closed much of the way down and I did notice her death grip on the door armrest.

Bigmurf, I would dearly love to have a Jeep to do Gemini Bridges and some of the other trails in that area. In this case I stopped at one of the tour places and asked if my truck could do the Gemini Bridges trail. "No sweat" they said after looking at the truck. The picture of the trail is in my earlier post. We got to a point I wasn't willing to risk the truck, or us. So we took the highway around to the dirt road clear up towards Canyonlands and got to Gemini Bridges that way. I suspect the tour guy thought I meant we were going that easier route. Or he was putting me on and had a story to tell his fellow tour guides.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #104
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
Started with a Dodge 2500 SRW and this year went to a Dodge 3500 DRW. The diffrence is night and day. I really think it rides better and a lot less movement in the rear (side to side). Also on the Dodge, it already has an exhaust break that comes standard with the Cummins. Be safe! John Daniels
Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:51 AM   #105
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Texas Firefighter, that's a beauty! Where'd you get the bush bars?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:26 AM   #106
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We went all the way up the Apache Trail from Apache Junction to the dam in the LB,CC, Dually. That was a throat clutcher... We agree that it is a give and take situation on the dually.We would rather not have had one but it is not our daily driver. It can be a PIA to park and maneuver around. But in order to stay within all manufacturer specs both truck and camper, particularly pin weight, we went with the dually. At the time we did not yet have a 5th wheel and we were not 100% sure of which 5th we would purchase so we took no chances on the truck limiting what camper we could buy....Been there...done that.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #107
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
If your going to continue pulling 5th wheels I highly recomend the DRW's. Parking!!! I always hear a this issue, well I have run 48 States and Canada in a Class 8 Tractor pulling 48' and 53' dry vans and when bob tailing I went everyplace I needed to go except drive thru's. We have owned several DRW Trucks and for Towing heavy trailers they are what is needed. DW has driven all our Trucks and we are running a Freightliner M2 now. Turning radius is much better than a dually with the FL and the foot print is not much longer than a dually. All you have to do is go to the Web site of the people who weigh 5th wheels at the rally's and you will find that a large percent of people that pull 5th wheel with the 2500HD's are over on pin weight and some are over on GVCW. Most DRW Trucks can handle the pin weight and GVWR. We don't have to worry about any weights now, we owned the Keystone Cambridge 358 and was always over on GVWR (25,600) the pin weight was ok with the Dually. Out 5er now when ready to go RVing with the 2008 Chevy DRW's our Gross weight was 24,400 lbs and we travel very light as for stuff in the basement. Only you can make the decision on what type of Truck to buy. I highly recomend a DRW Truck. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #108
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
Thank You Dave! I love it! The Grille Guard is From Ranch Hand (Ranchhand.com), KC Slim Lights on the front. The Steps are from N-Fab. It is a joy to pull my Montana now. I can relax a little! Be Safe! John Daniels
Old 07-16-2009, 02:43 AM   #109
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

Hello Texas Firefighter,

Thats one fine looking rig you have there...I also started with a Dodge 2500 4x4 QC and was overweight on the pin from the start.I went and test drove a Dodge dual rear wheel lwb 4x4 and couldn't believe the difference.Had to have one... Enjoy the new truck!!!
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #110
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
Thanks Philip! We have really enjoyed the new Dodge. Does not get the fuel mileage that the other Dodge got but pulls and rides better. Philip, that is a good looking rig you have also! Be safe! John Daniels