Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Dual Rear Wheels vs. Single Rear Wheel

I am looking to replace my current truck and moving up from a 3/4 ton to a 1 ton chassis. I need some assistance and help with a big question I have....

My question is: Dual Rear Wheels vs. Single Rear Wheels?

What is the "Pros & Cons" to having a dually or single wheels?

I am staying with a diesel engine and 4x4 for sure. Thanks for any help and/or advice you all can provide to me.

Scott

PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
OK, here goes I hope you know what you're asking for!

IMHO, you will have to choose based on your needs. However,
I prefer the dually and not just because I have a dually but because of the stability I felt since going to it. I have not pulled the Monty with a single axle but there are those who do. My first experience switching to a dually was while towing an Airstream. I was simply amazed at how much difference there was and the stability and control it gave me over the bumper pull type. I was considering the purchase of a very expensive hitch but after getting the dually I was glad that I didn’t. For me it’s the way to go but there are some cons to a dually.

1. The purchase of 2 extra tires.
2. Need more space for parking.
And several other s as well

I use my truck for everyday driving and I’m not intimidated by it’s size. Sometimes I simply park further away from the door when I get there.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I've towed our Montana with 2 SRW's and have not encountered any stability issues. The main advantage to DRW as I see it is the safety factor in the case of a rear tire failure. Just my opinion.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
Well, I brought my 06 37' SOB Toy Hauler home with a 2500HD CC SRW and was convinced I didn't have enough truck for our trip from Washington to New York. I immediately swapped it for a 3500 CC DRW and launched a three month, 7000 mile journey. I never wanted for more truck under me. The only drawback as I see it? Can't drive through most automated car washes anymore............;-(.
deadeyenevermisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I am on my 4th Dually. It'seems more stable than a SRW, I don't carry a spare because It already have two spares on it. If I get a flat,I just use one of my rear wheels.
My brother-Law has the exact same truck except it's a SRW , as we do and I'll always remember him asking me on one of our trips through the CB if the wind was really knocking us around like it was in his truck. At that time we didn't feel any wind.
People talk about tight parking,I always park further anyway because I don't want anyone to ding our nice truck,plus I need the exercise.
Before we purchased our trailer people suggested we buy the trailer first than we'll know how large of a truck we'll need. I did just the opposite,I bought the largest truck we could afford than we wouldn't be limited to the size of trailer we could purchase.
Of course this is all Mine own personal choice.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Have had both and pulled a Big Sky with both. I prefer the dually on an experiential basis.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I can not compare because we have only towed a 5th wheel with a dually. Depending on the model of 5th wheel you may need the dually to satisfy the pin weight rquirement. I would run all the numbers on the camper and see were they point you.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Skip the 1 ton and go straight to the MDT. Just think of all the options you will have when it comes time to trade in your current coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Last year the left rear tire on our truck got a softball size bubble on the side. It didn't blow out but it sure keeps me thinkiing about a dually. The next truck will be a one ton and most likely a dually.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Duallys provide more stability with a load, have a higher GVWR (can carry and tow more), but take getting some used to, but probably no more than when you had to get used to driving your first truck or van after driving a passenger car for a while. In getting used to them I have seen a fair amount of the rear fenders getting some damage, for weight reasons they are made of fibreglass and can get crunched up pretty good. So to solve that, just don't hit anything.

For me, I am lazy and like to take my car to the carwash, but since I have been washing my vehicles myself lately since I retired, that's not so much of a concern anymore. I also wanted to have an easier time parking (duallies take up more room).

Since trailers aren't getting any smaller my next truck will be a dually. I have had too many problems having to watch my gross weight that a dually will probably get rid of that problem, too. If I only upgraded to a 1 ton SRW, I know I'd surpass that and kick myself for not getting a dually in the first place. A dually gives you so many more cargo options and maintains stability over SRW.

Have fun with your selection. Let us know how you do.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
SRW form me. IMHO there is no more stability in a dually over an SWR and for no more reason than all the Cons already posted my next truck will again be an SWR.

On a GM there is no more towing capacity on a dually than on a SWR. They both have the same engine, tranny and everything else. Pin weight on a 3500 dually and a 3500 SWR is insignificant.
Thinking, by having a dually, that you have less concern about a flat rear tire is bogus, IF you don't realize that inside dual is flat is the problem. But you will absolutely know it just a few miles down the road. That inside or outside flat will get to rubbing against the inflated tire. It will build heat and eventually disintegrate. JUst where do you think all those road gaters come from? And if that dually disintegrates you will also be contributing parts of that fiberglass fender to the road liter.
Not carrying a spare and taking one of the duallys off to replace a front flat tire is dangerous as all the tongue weight now rides on one tire. And it would take a lot less time mounting the spare than messing with dismounting the outside tire.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:26 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I believe the SRW vs. DRW is a mind thing. It depends on what you yourself want. I have a SRW but would consider a DRW over the SRW if the price was right. I prefer the SRW truck.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:15 AM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I use my truck for more than just towing my Monty. Duallies do not fair well in snow and hunting situations. So, I am on my second SRW. It's been a while since I went through the numbers, but I thought that the SRW was the same on all towing capacities except pin weiht.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:08 AM   #14
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
It all depends if you are going to tow the Monty allot.Both do a good job but the dually has advantages which are already mentioned.I use a dually but the dually is clumsy in parking lots and other confined areas.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:23 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Insignificant>>>>> the difference in CC between a 1 ton Ford SWD 3740 and a 1 ton Dually...4910..is 1170lbs...that's insignificant???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:58 AM   #16
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have an SRW and have towed in cross winds of 30 mph gusting to 40. Barely wiggled in the wind whether crossing or head-on. No stability issues at all.
I test drove a dually for 3 days. That is all it took for me to decide I did not want one.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:08 AM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I think I would like the DWR, however, my next truck would have to be a 3500 GMC SRW 4x4 as I have to be able to get down some rather rugged 2 track roads on a regular occasion. I own hunting property in N. MI that a DRW would never make it in or out of. So unless I win the lottery, and I can then buy 2 trucks, I will be constrained to a SWR. Would like to step up to a 3500 though from my 2500HD as soon as I get the chance.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:33 AM   #18
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
I have had both. The dually is more stable with out a doubt. I have to look at the trees to tell if the wind is blowing. Just be prepared at tire time for the extra tire expense and the frustration of so-called tire techs who cannot put the rear wheels on right. Both well worth the aggravation for the enhanced towing stability and safety. In the two years I have been driving a dually there has been maybe one or two times I could not park somewhere. My next truck will be a dually!
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:47 AM   #19
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PackerFan

I am looking to replace my current truck and moving up from a 3/4 ton to a 1 ton chassis. I need some assistance and help with a big question I have....

My question is: Dual Rear Wheels vs. Single Rear Wheels?

What is the "Pros & Cons" to having a dually or single wheels?

I am staying with a diesel engine and 4x4 for sure. Thanks for any help and/or advice you all can provide to me.

Scott
Forget the "pros and cons."

Get what you need to do the job. I can't comment on Dodge or Ford, but if you want a GM and remain within the manufacturer's specs it takes a dually.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:24 AM   #20
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
The new Sierra 3500's long box has a continuous metal side panel that's flared over the duallies.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote