Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2008, 11:52 AM   #41
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, mine finally made the list. We have made an appointment with a repair center in Richfield, UT to have it done the day we pull out of Bryce Canyon enroute to Ogden. We have not had any probs either and I share Imp's sentiment about not jinxing it. I have always said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" (or mess with it either). I guess it could cause a problem down the line, then I would really be in trouble. Oh Well!!!!!

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #42
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Clyde n Deb

Called Camping World. 2 weeks to get an appointment, then they want it all day. Smooth.
Mine took 15 minutes. If they'd give you the three sheets of metal, you could do it your self...very easy job.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #43
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Our dealer told us 30 min max. I'd look for another Dometic authorized service place...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #44
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
The listed Dometic service places said to either bring it in and they would do it for free or they would charge $65 to come to our site. Called a local RV repair service and they will come out and do it for $35 service fee because I am workkamping near them. It is worth it to us to pay the $35 to save breaking down, towing to and from and setting back up. $65 is just too much for us to pay for a recall.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #45
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I agree this is like putting a band-aid on a gapping wound. The problem is the defective boiler tube and that is what should addressed. A campground near us ,the hosts were to have the unit fixed on a Thursday but on a Tuesday night she burned to the ground. Who knows what unit is next? It will be up to the owner to foot the big bill that should have been done by Dometic because of defective cooling unit. Suing them will be something else as the are not from the USA.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #46
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Sorry I didn't get back on to answer your question Dave. The number the repair person gave us was 888-446-5157. Then just ask to talk to Laurie. I hope you were able to get it approved...
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #47
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Myrna. I did not get a chance to get to the phone today. I will call tomorrow using that number.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:56 AM   #48
1luckylady
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7321
Well, seems Dometic is refusing to replace any cooling units now. Seems you are on your own to have them replaced. One has been done and now we have ours to do. I am writing the VP, VP of marketing and the President. This just isn't fair. Two recalls done at the same time and both units failed within 2 weeks of each other. Thats just too fishy for me to bite. Since we are headed out in a week and 1 day we have to have the new cooling unit put in. I just hope I can achieve some level of satisfaction through them. But I'm not really holding my breath on this one.
1luckylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #49
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Made an appointment with Jorgensen Honda in Richfield, UT. Called last Friday and stated I was just on my way throu and had to be in Salt Lake City later in the day. They said they could take care of me. I pulled in today at 10 am and was on the road again at 1040. Great service, these guys......
Old 05-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #50
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I'm having mine done on Thursday morning on my way to Mi-Te_jo Campground in NH. I have to pass right by my dealer on the way. The only problem is that he wants me there at 8:00 am becuase its just a quick fix and he wants to do it before they get busy on the big jobs. We don't mind too much. It gets us on the road early. From reading these posts it sounds like the fix doesn't really solve anything. Wonderful.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:20 PM   #51
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We just had it done at our site by our dealer who doesn't do mobile repairs - we have a great dealer: Traveler's RV in Reno.

Dometic authorized $60 or less for a trip charge. We were told that if it were more, then the amount would have to be kicked upstairs for approval; $60 and under can be authorized by a CSR if you are permanent.

The tech came out and I watched. Basically, it involves a thermistat in the flue tube to turn off the circuitry (and the flame) if it gets too hot, presumable from combustible ammonia. In addition, he "sealed" the majority of the seams in the flue tube such that the only place I could see flame was at the very bottom. It does make it a little difficult to get to the propane valve, but it is doable. Took all of 20 minutes and a $20 tip.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #52
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Had my repair kit installed yesterday on our return from a weekend at Farragut St Pk, ID. My dealer, Blue Crick RV in Airway Heights, WA had us in and out in about 45 minutes. I think it took longer for the paperwork than the install.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:49 AM   #53
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Went and got ours done at our local dealer. Took them about 30-45 minutes. At first they tried to tell me ours was not on the recall. I had to tell them about the information gleened from this site there was a second recall. They researched and verified and then fixed mine. I haven't had any issues before, hope not to have any now. Rick
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:07 AM   #54
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
Ours is affected and I just set up a service appointment to have it fixed. What bothers me the most is that I had to find out about the recall here on MOC!!! What about all the rest of the folks out there that are not on this or some other forum? Are they just driving around in a ticking bomb??? I've had no notification from Dometic and after speaking with one of their "customer care" reps, it sounds like they weren't in any hurry to get the word out. This just irks me to no end. By the way, Dometic will not pay for a sevice call if the unit is on your private property,even if it is set up. If you live out in the sticks like I do, that's alot of work, time, and fuel to get something fixed that they know is their problem. Sorry for the rant Thanks for getting the word out to everyone on the forum.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:01 AM   #55
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
My fridge made the Dometic recall list this time too. The rig is an 07 3075 delivered in Dec 06. Sure wish they would fix the actual problem rather than just "patch it". Still waiting to hear from Tireco re my tire claim. With bad tires and a fire prone fridge it sure makes RVing a little less fun.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #56
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I received a letter in the mail from Dometic yesterday, I thought it was a recall notice. Nope, they want me to extend my factory warranty...no mention of a recall!
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #57
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Found mine on the list this time, but not last. Followed the website, thanks to MOCer, and found a mobile repair guy w/in 2 miles of us! Yea!!! he'll be over next week to fix it before we head out for the NE Rally!!! Thanks, Tom for the alert!!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:46 AM   #58
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Thank you MOC for this topic. Our rig also was on the second list, called Dometic to see if they would authorized mobile coverage, but I am not permanent (in a State Park right now) so they said no, even after I argued that our dog and two cats would have to be boarded in order to take the rig in for the day. In any event we are happy to have learned about the recall and now to have it repaired. The mobile repair guy will come today $30 for the house call, and install the kit. John
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:30 AM   #59
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
John, Why don't make an appointment to have it done the day you leave your present park, that way you don't have to board anyone. The install only takes about 30-45 minutes. Surely you could work this out with your installer. Just a thought...
Old 05-23-2008, 06:09 AM   #60
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Ours was on the second recall notice. I found a mobile tech who will come out and fix ours. He is so busy he cannot do it till sometime next week. He is the only one that is within 60 miles of us. Dometic will pay if you are on a permanent site or you have health issues...this is what the rep told me. We have not had any problems with ours..we did shut the gas off to it. But I will be leary til we get the fix...just hope I dont have to be leary afterwards.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote