Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Washington State - Olympic National Park

Anybody have information on where to stay when visiting Olympic National Park?

Thanks!!!!

Jo-Anna

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
I know there are some park camp grounds up in the Olympic national park, but no first hand experience, so I don't know if they will accommodate the length. Washington seems to have older parks which are smaller. But try not to miss driving the TV up to hurricane ridge, great view from there. Have a great trip , and let us know how you make out.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
All of the State and Federal Park Campgrounds I have found in the area are too small to get a Montana into. That doesn't mean they don't exist, I just haven't found them in my two trips there. A local may have better information. There are private RV parks not too far away so you should find someplace to stay and explore from. It is a beautiful area even if you have to commute a little to explore it.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Thanks Carl - figured we couldn't fit in State or National parks. Where did you stay???

Jo-Anna
Old 04-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jo-Anna,

When we were in that area we stayed at Forks. On the south side of town there is a nice RV park. I think we were one of about 3 or 4 people in the park. It was just after the season ended. It was also the "dry" season. It did NOT rain the whole time we were there. They get an average of about 140 inches per year.

From Forks we drove back south to the HOH part of the park. A very nice rain forest area. It did rain on us a little bit there.

We also drove north and west to the Neah area and visited the most north westerly point in the US. Also visited Push.

From Forks we drove up to Sequim. There is a nice park on the east side of town. Don't remember the name. Sites were a bit close together but doable. Very convenient for doing anything in town.

Just east of Sequim a few miles is a very nice Escapees park. If you're members of Escapees I'd definitely check them out. We did not realize they had a park there until we were home! Can you say, DUH!

We enjoyed our visit to Port Townsend. A nice Victorian old town. That is also where we took the ferry across to Whidbey Island. From there we drove up to Dick and Toni's.

Have a great trip.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jo Anna-- Do you belong to any of the camping clubs like KOA, Good Sams or Passport America? IF so there are numerous private campgrounds on the north end of Olympic National Park. Two in Sequim and one in Port Angeles for example off the Passport America site. Don't know anything about them but if you PM or email me I can give you the websites for them. P/A rates are 50% of normal rates and range about $15 a day at them but there are stipulations on the number of days you can stay under the discounted rates.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:56 AM   #7
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
A few years back I stayed at the KOA in Port Angeles, interesting area, nice park.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
Jo-Anna,

We have an Aunt & Uncle who used to live in Brinnon, and they had a family reunion at the Dosewallips State park there in Brinnon every year. It is a beautiful park and plenty of room for the Montana's to fit into. Way further up the road near Port Angeles is Hurricane Ridge State Park. This too is beautiful! (The visitors center and surrounding park with trails I mean). We never have actually seen the Campgrounds so can't say as to how much room they have. It is way up the mountain top though, so I think I'd call ahead and ask if they can accommodate your Monty. On a clear day.... you've never seen scenery more beautiful then there at the park though. Also, Dennis is right. Port Townsend is a fun "little" town to visit. Good luck in your search, let us know where you end up.

Joy
MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Thanks everyone!

We had a wonderful time visiting the various sections of Olympic National Park. We stayed in Forks at Forks 101 Campground, we were the only people in the park as we were there the first day they opened - small but with great hookups, cable and free FAST wifi.

In Sequim we stayed at Rainbows End. 30 amp, low water pressure, good free wifi very tight spots.

We took the Ferry from Port Townsend to Keystone (Thanks Dennis!!!) and are now staying a camping world as we are having a small repair done on Monday morning.

Jo-Anna
Old 05-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
David and Jo-Anna,

The RV park in Forks sounds like it might have been the one we stayed at. Or maybe the one just a little closer to town. I do remember we had an excellent WiFi connection.

Were you able to go out to the coast? And visit the most northwesterly point in the continental US?

The rain forest is an amazing place.

If you took any pictures of the SKP park could you post them or send me a couple? I'd like to see what the park looked like.

Glad the ferry thing worked out for you. We really enjoyed it. Even if it was a very short ride. Nice island drive isn't it?!

Enjoy and say hello to Dick and Toni for us.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:40 AM   #11
Dennis Korchak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2419
Jo-Ann
We just live 30 miles from Port Townsend near Silverdale, WA. You might try Fort Worden State Park (360-344-4435) (www.parks.wa.gov/fortworden/camping.aspx )next to Port Townsend near Pt wilson. This is a great park, full hookups and lots of space for larger rigs. It has a great view of the Strait Of Juan De Fuca, lots of hiking trails to the bunkers. Plus there is a shuttle that takes to down town Port Townsend. This is also where Officer And A Gentleman was filmed. There is also a RV Park in Down Town Port Townsend Called Point Hudson Marina & RV Park (www.portofpt.com/point_hudson.htm)(800-228-2803) which is large enough for you with a fantastic view of Admirlity Inlet. The picture below in my signature is of us at Fort Worden.
Dennis Korchak is offline   Reply With Quote