Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2006, 06:38 AM   #1
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
SOMETHING STRANGE GOING ON! UPDATE

Hello everyone, I am stumped as what I found in my Montana. On a recent trip when returning home, when we went inside the monty we noticed this chalk like stuff on the edge of the counter top..right above is the lazy susan cabinet (2 doors) When we investigated further we noticed the cabinet door had what looked like pre-drill holes about 5 all in the same upward line. So we thought maybe Keystone made a blunder and just filled in with sawdust..So I cleaned up everything. Well today about 2 weeks later, I go in and find just a very bit more...now the monty hasnt moved. There seems to be more holes also only this time they are going outward So I am puzzled as to what this could be? Any help would sure be appreciated...Thanks

Well I recieved a call from Tony saying that Keystone would send me a cabinet door right away and at no charge. I am just relieved that we will have a door soon! Thanks Keystone!

campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:40 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Look for bugs.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:04 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Termites?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:14 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Carpenter ants..sounds like their MO..If that is what it is exterminate the camper before it turns into a pile of sawdust.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:30 AM   #5
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I have seen no signs of any ants in the camper..which was my 1st thought...it is just this one cabinet door..the holes are like pinholes not all the way through the wood either...Damage from termites I have seen b/f and I have never seen termites do that unless I am wrong. Thanks for all your help and please if anymore ideas post them please!!
Old 05-19-2006, 08:04 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
How could a brand new Monty have termites in it already. I think it's shake down debree in the roof Sawdust of some sort between the inner and outer roof.
I still get sawdust from the vent over the bed and it's 2 yrs old now.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:54 AM   #7
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I have my husbands cousin coming out who is a pest exterminator, I am going to have him look at it. I know that this was not there when I did my spring cleaning...we noticed it after our 1st spring trip..so I will update you all when he inspects it.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:27 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
There is a "wood worm" that does this. Hopefully a bug expert can tell you what it is. I remember when I was little we had a chair that was infected. My Father did something to get rid of them but I don't remember what it was and he isn't with us anymore. But I remember the holes and the sawdust and they are as you described. Let us know what you find. BTW this was in Kansas.
Happy trails....................................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Sounds like Powder Post Beetles.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:43 AM   #10
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

Sounds like Powder Post Beetles.
Heres a Link to POWDER POST BEETLES

Good Luck
JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:01 PM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
EWWWWWWWWWWW, nasty looking. Hope you don't have those nasty things Campbud.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:30 PM   #12
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Bad news, they are powderpost beetles, we had the camper fumigated. He said that the only effidence was in the cabinet door (thank goodness) He said that the wood must of been infested when the cabinets were made. He said we should not have anymore problems as the spray will stay in the wood for several years. We took the cabinet door off and will get a new one. I am going to call the dealer tomarrow and ask about ordering one. I also thought I read here on the forum that one could order one from Home Depot? Has anyone else had any problem with this sort of beetle? I have never even heard of these before. They were no doubt there when we purchased the camper a year ago..
Old 05-19-2006, 04:55 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The good news is it wasn't fatal to Monty, only the beetles. Sure glad you discovered the problem and got it taken care of. Happy RVing....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:13 PM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I would try giving Keystone Customer Service a call. If you catch the right person on a good day, they might even send you a replacement. Nothing to lose. In any event I would get the replacement from Keystone, I think that is the only way to get a perfect match.

This is a first to me, who would have thought "powder post beetles in a Montana".
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:18 AM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Goodness, gratious, as they say. Glad you caught it now! We really do learn something new here every day, don't we?? Thanks for sharing that campbud
Old 05-20-2006, 03:30 AM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That sounds like a Keystone supplier problem. While you are the first to report this, I can't imagine you being the only one who is going to face this. When did you say it came off the line? I would definitely alert Keystone about this. They don't just buy one cabinet at a time.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:33 AM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sure glad to hear that your problem is contained to the cabinet door and the Montana structure isn't involved. Now on to happy camping!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:49 AM   #18
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dave, when you were at the factory last week, did you think to ask where they build the cabinets?? We thought we remembered them saying they made them right there in a corner of the factory, that they were not a vendor item. Maybe we remember wrong and maybe they have changed that.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:03 AM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
They still make them right in the "little" square mile, I believe Jim Edmundson said. Can't remember the name of the mfr. Also can't remember the name of the new furniture make either. It used to be Steelflex. It's someone else now. I was going to call the plant.

By the tone of Jim E. Keystone may own this new furniture mfr. When we were discussing the Venetian Gold decor, he said that "THEY" were receiving this material sporadically - referring to "Keystone". I would infer from that, that means Keystone orders the material and makes the furniture - under a company "name". He did tell me the name, though. With my ADD, I was distracted by something else, and that info fled my mind like Chevy Chase trying out his new lubricant while sliding with his kids in Christmas Vacation.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:19 AM   #20
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Just an anecdote - the company by whom I am employed ships items to European countries. The "European Union" (made up of most of the E. countries) requires everything made of wood (including the shipping containers) to be "nematode free". We now have to buy lumber which has been certified to have been oven treated to kill the little buggers (more $$$). For existing boxes, we have to bake them to a prescribed temperature and time prior to shipment. The lumber now has a stamp on it that says "Nematode Free",
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote