Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2005, 12:52 AM   #1
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
New standard features

In the lower right picture is the standard bike rack and carrier tray. What a great addition. Wish it was there on our 2004 model
http://keystone-mountaineer.com/?page=gallery

315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:35 AM   #2
Champ203
Established Member

M.O.C. #4767
we have one on the back of our 319BHS 5er, I am still learning to use it as it is basically a plastic tray supported by metal framework (200 lb limit) and a metal post sticking up to secure things to. My observations so far are (1) that you can put 3 adult bikes on it and you have to be creative to strap them down. (2) It extends the rear of your coach about 2 feet and it would be very easy to leave the whole rack stuck to a tree or guard rail when manuevering in a tight space (I missed a tree by an inch on our first trip last week-end). But with all of that said it was one of the reasons that we bought the Mountaineer.

Champ203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:01 AM   #3
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
I use it while boondocking, as a platform for my Honda 2000 Generator. Convenient to lock it up, close enough to my marine style electric inlet that I don't need to use any cords, I just use my 50 AMP to 30 AMP adapter, then step it down to 20 AMPs (Generator Max is 16.6 AMPs), the length of the dog bone adapter (18") is more than enough to reach the generator in its elevated position on the carrier.

I have also used it to transport my Coleman Portable Fire Pit, so I can have the campfire where I want it. I have also used it to transport a Full Sized Grill, so i could do some rotissiering. You just have to make sure the items are secured for travel (I use ratchet style nylon webbed cargo tie-downs, the type for securing motorcyles, and other heavy stuff).
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:25 PM   #4
derfr
Established Member

M.O.C. #4953
Re: Bike Rack. I have a new Mountaineer and find the bike rack a puzzle as to how to positively secure a bike to the base and that flimsy vertical metal post. Champ203 said he had to be creative to secure the bikes. Could you elaborate. Did you use bungee cords, rope, duct tape or what? Do you find the post too flimsy to keep the bikes from bobbing all over the place especially since this is positioned way beyond the rear wheels. I love the idea of a bike rack, but am hesitant to use this one. Anyone else have suggestions about securing a bike to this rack?
derfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Welcome to the forum, derfr. Glad you found a good place to get an answer to your question.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:40 PM   #6
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
that's why I like to post items here. some times they listen...and new models will have items we now only wish the had!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:03 AM   #7
Champ203
Established Member

M.O.C. #4767
I used one 4 inch (wide trucking)strap (about 16 ft long). I attached one hook to the frame wrapped it around the bumper once then around the centerpieces of the bikes then back down to the bumper and hooked the other end to the frame. I used a towel to protect the back bike from rubbing on the center pole. I did not attach anything to the center pole, I checked on the bikes several times because of my concern about how much they might be bouncing but everyting seemed ok. You have to use alot of caution when making sharp turns, because of the pivot point of the trailer (over the axles) that rack is really capable of clearing a path behind you.
Champ203 is offline   Reply With Quote