Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2005, 07:29 AM   #41
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I agree with the replies to Judy's comment. One time when we were camped in a very spacious CG a little girl about 2 or 3 came right up our steps to the door and was trying to open it. It took a while to find her mother. Mother's comment "She is a very friendly little girl. Her brother (age 4) was suppose to be watching her." No apology.
There is another issue no one has mentioned. The people that arrive at the campsite way after dark and quiet time and proceed to noisely set up camp. On the very few ocassions we have arrived late, we stay hooked up if possible, plug in and go to bed.
Happy trails.....................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:07 AM   #42
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Wow, yapping dogs, screaming kids, cutting though our RV sites, I guess we are getting old, (I know I am at 67 years) I wish there was a place that had larger sites, I know what it is to spend 15 or 20 minutes trying to back into a site and not scrape the roof on tree limbs or push one aside with one of the slide out room awnings (did that, tree limb didn't move, awning roller did!)wife in the back trying to remain composed while I try to figure out which way she wants me to go. I think for the most part we all need to learn to respect one another's privacy while showing some compassion to old folks with grandkids and if the youth of today didn't learn manners some of us may have to belly up to responsibility bar because they are our kids! I remember when I was in the Army, we were told that if our dependents misbehaved while we were overseas on an accompanied tour that they would be sent home and we would stay over there alone for a full tour, that was pretty good motivation. I have ten grandchildren one of whom lives with me, I'm not complaining, he is well mannered but he has one problem, he thinks everyone is friendly, little does he know. Let's all love one another and respect our views.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:09 AM   #43
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I am semi-guilty of the screaming kid one, my 3yr old is working on getting over the tantrum thing but 95% of the time she is well behaved, over tired and bedtime are still challenges.

As for the campfire, the group that we travel with do build rather large fires in washing machine tubs (there are at least 3-6 members that are firemen), but we keep the fire between our rigs so we don't disturb any others. We are not loud and welcome any others that want to pull up a chair.

The best dog clean-up policy was a $100 fine to the owner that didn't clean-up. The person who reported the incident to the management got $75 of it! Did not see 1 turd anywhere!

As if cutting through a site wasn't bad enough, I have seen some people ride a bicycle through an occupied site.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:29 AM   #44
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
Loud talking and constant profane language I can put up with kids having fun and pets but the profanity turns my stomach.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:45 AM   #45
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
NJHillbilly we are dog lovers as you can see by our sig. but do I love that dog clean-up policy that you mentioned. My wife and I are always wondering what could be done to MAKE owners clean up after their pets so it doesn't ruin the welcome for responsible pet owners.
Well that policy would certainly fix the problem!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:29 PM   #46
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I can put up with kids in the rv parks,we all raised kids, and maybe we have grandkids so we can put up with that . I have a dog, he is a border collie. During the day he is on a small chain and he hangs out under the 5vr except when he wants to bug me to go for a walk ,which is sometimes 5 or 6 times a day. He also likes to run fast which means we use a bike and he most of the time he pulls me down the roads in the campground. At night he is trained to sleep on the back seat of the pickup. A real nice thing about my border collie is that he is trained. He will not become agressive toward humans or other dogs. He will not bark when he passes other dogs,most of the time he will not even look at them.Harley,thats his name likes to watch kids fish in the campground ponds,play ball,watch put put golf. He can sit at attention,and watch for hours.If the other dogs in the parks were trained we would not even hear them. Most of these dogs are what I call lap,yaps,which means when you pass by they are always yapping. Most of the folks that have them think they are talking to a kid when they try to keep them still,you know what I mean.The best way to make them mind is to get a large fly swatter and give them a good swat,they will soon learn to be seen and not heard. I love kids and dogs.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:04 PM   #47
Montana_3032
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3032
On the site cutting...for me it doesn't bother me...and I'm guessing it doesn't bother about as many people as it does other...if it wasn't for the rv.net forum I would have never realized it bothered folks...I didn't grow up in campgrounds and so the lesson was not 'taught'...so give the kids and parents the benefit of the doubt..that they just may not realize...not all parks post as rules not to cut thru sites...now if you mention it to them and they give you a snide look or keep on doing it...then yeah they are inconsiderate people..

And remember there are some things in life ya just can't change...so rather than letting it bother you...it's just best to give up the 'peeve'...blow it off...and camp happily..

Now constantly barking dogs is one of those that I don't think anyone could learn to ignore..

Happy Camping.
Montana_3032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:17 PM   #48
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I think we are missing the point on the cutting through the site. We are not talking about the edge but walking right across your rug under the awning through your chairs and barbeque. Or riding their bikes across the back over your water hose or dump hose. We've had several damaged due to this. I don't want their face close enough to see in my windows. This rule of staying out of a persons site was true when I tent camped also.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:41 PM   #49
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
As a Boy Scout (a long time ago) we were always taught that you didn't walk through another campsite, and when you came to visit you announced yourself as you came in. Respecting others' space is important.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:32 PM   #50
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
Old Turbo -- Glenn and I have worked with literally hundreds of different dogs when we volunteered at a shelter, and we also have a (large) dog of our own.
Every single dog I've ever trained has responded much, much better to kindness than to yelling, or - heaven forbid! - hitting. Dogs want to please by nature, they are pack animals and want nothing more than to see their pack leader happy. So teach them, with patience and in a way they can understand, and they will reward you with perfect behavior and a wagging tail. The trick is to be consistent in your commands, and to practice.
Our dog does not bark when left alone (inside the trailer only!), she ignores other dogs (unless they attack her first), she walks perfectly on a leash, and happily comes when called.

Please re-consider the treatment of your dog; stop hitting him, and allow him to be a part of your "pack" -- after all, hasn't he earned it?

Karin
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 02:19 AM   #51
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I did not train my dog by hitting him, sorry to upset you. I dont like to see people pacify there pet by kissing it and saying now dont you do that again a dog is not human,as some people think they are.I dont kiss my dog as I know where he puts his nose at times,and when he walks he puts his nose where the rest of the dogs have done there jobs.When a dog gets to the point where he is running its owner,its time to take control.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:32 AM   #52
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am with old turbo.Had Dogs most of my life, Mostly Hound dogs and being a Lion member we sponsor guide dogs and helper dogs
.I know what a WELL trained Dog can do.However a dog IS a animal. Even the best trained Dog WILL attack under the proper stimuli. If you think your animal won't you are sadly mistaken.I guess I can add another pet-peeve..Folks who think Animals ARE people and treat them as such ( my wife thinks that our BIRD can actually understand her).People can become animals, but animals can never become people. As for a Dog licking on my face..That is not cute it is downright disgusting considering, as old turbo observes, where the dog puts its nose and tongue.And yes a dog IS a pack animal and a pack animal needs a leader of the pack..That is Supposed to be you. By the way I love Dogs..Our Dog of 16 years died 3 years ago and we won't get another because we don't want to go through that again.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:37 AM   #53
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
After reading this entire thread doesn't the noisy-kids-barking-dogs-too-big-campfire-and-cutting-through-sites issues all come down to a general lack of respect for others we seem to be seeing, and not only at campgrounds?
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:47 AM   #54
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
That's been my pet peeve for years, Vicki. Some people now days don't have respect for themselves, let alone others, and some don't take any personal responsibility for their actions - it's always someone else's fault. Regarding the pet issues - when we were on our recent trip, all pet owners we observed kept their animals leashed, and a couple even had portable fences they set up at their site so their dogs could be "free" but not roam.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:51 AM   #55
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Agreed that the behaviour we see in the campgrounds is a reflection of society in general.

My 2 cents worth and a peeve that no one else has mentioned:

out-of-control-lighting.

We very much prefer places that get DARK at night. Camp fires are much nicer in a dark environment and it is nice to see stars. There seems to be a subset of people who are afraid of the boogie man. Their lights are horribly bright. I have shades for our gas lanterns (when we use them) to try to contain our lights into our own campsite....

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:24 AM   #56
Bear Hunter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2464
Well heres my 2 cents worth after reading this whole thread. I have to agree on the cigarette butts on the grounds and in the fire pits. I don't smoke nor does my wife and we never have so why should we have to clean up after those that do. I get very upset when people burn any plastic and garbage in their firepits. The top of the list are CG's that claim to have sites for larger RV's but in fact don't or have their sites layed out in such a manner you have to go against the traffic flow to get into the site.

I guess for the most part we have been very lucky in our 40 plus years of camping because we have had very few problems with our neighbors when we are RVing. I have yet to meet a fellow camper who did not respond in a postive way to a concern. I feel sorry for the folks who are unable to remember when they were young or had unruly childern whocried out with glee as played or saw some marvel of nature. I guess thats why we are seeing more ADULT ONLY CR'S. Lets all enjoy the great outdoors and if need be TAKE A CHILL PILL!!!!!

SEMPER FI
Bear Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:52 AM   #57
sectres
Established Member

M.O.C. #1643
Was at a campground recently where the campers down from us brought their baby goat.......
sectres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:58 AM   #58
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
I guess the bottom line is that a lot of us have been doing this for a long time (45 or so years in my case) and we still go Rv'ing, so even though we may gripe, we still enjoy it.

Threads like this are a good educational tool, in that we're never so old or experienced that we can't learn something new. Judging by some of the posts there were at least a couple of folks who didn't realize that a particular action might bother someone else.

Gary
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:01 AM   #59
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
We stayed in a couple of campgrounds out of state this summer. The campground owners must think that trees dont grow. I have the scratches on my Mountaineer to show that these owners should have someone come in and clip out the limbs that hang down. I try to be careful but you cant watch everything with mirrors,and watch some of the narrow campground roads with short sites and vehicles parked all over.I hope I can get the scratches out?
Old 08-18-2005, 09:20 AM   #60
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
I read most of the postings to this topic. I thought, my gosh Sectres, how lucky you are, a travelling petting zoo.lol. While I have a lot of same pet peeves as you all, I don't let 'em get to me. Life is good when we can enjoy the freedoms to go where we want. There are bigger 'pet peeves' in life than what we find in campgrounds. Most of these same pet peeves can be seen at the mall as well as the campgrounds. I guess I am of the opinion, no matter where you go, something will tick you off. Whether you choose to let it get to you or not is up to you. It seems you come to expect some of this behavior and when you find a nice quiet place w/o all these annoyances, it just makes that place seem that much more terrific. Just my opinion. Happy trails to you all.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote