Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2012, 02:02 AM   #21
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Vern, you are correct. There shouldn't be unloaded. The spacers are supplied, but it really all depends on what weight you carry in the bed daily as to how you set it up. hey sell many different types, if you order the wrong ones, they will send you the correct set. The company is super to deal with.
Dave, I think you just had the wrong set, or had the spacer that should have been ommited.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #22
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
After two sets of Timbrens, I think it is a great product that should be standard on all pickups.
Ozz is on the right on, If you have a problem technical support will get you back on track. Another good company to deal with.
I did go with air bags on this truck, but question whether or not it was a good move.
Ski Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #23
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
They both do what I would consider the primary concern and that's to minimize sag in the rear end. Note, neither option INCREASES your load capability.

Timbrens are a cheaper, less complicated solution and they will stiffen the ride and the support is fixed (they are enabled or they are not, period). There are also several other passive systems that work as well, but there names escape me.

In my case I was looking to improve the ride too and this is where air bags, with the ability to vary the air pressure either makes it real stiff like a Timbrens or you can lessen the pressure a little and soften the ride. Finding that sweet spot can be tricky since psi is variable (in my case, 7 lbs to 100 lbs per bag). There is more plumbing and wiring than Timbrens to complicate things and create more failure points (I had one problem), but that goes with the complexity. I like that I can inflate the air bags high enough to raise the rear end and lower the headlight aim so I am not blinding oncoming traffic (I think the Timbrens solves that problem too, or never has that problem in the first place).

Bottom line. Timbrens is cheaper and easier to install and forget about it. Air bags can be more complicated but provide more flexibility for use. But either solves the primary load problem.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #24
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
If as Oz said the Timbrens don't make contact until the truck is loaded or you hit a pothole, then there is some squat in the rear before they make contact. Keeping this in mind your headlight beams will be higher.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote