Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Where's Ozz when you need him

In one weeks time:

SOB AC was not cooling. Took it in, they found it with 5.5 pounds of the cold stuff (freon) and it should have been 2.5 pounds. To much head pressure. Glad it didn't break anything

Got home from our extended trip and DW's car AC blowing hot. Low on freon, but they also found a very slight leak with a sniffer in the evaporator. I'm putting off replacing it until the SOB catches up with me.

Last evening as we were sitting here by the fire, well it felt like a fire, the house AC was blowing warm are. I stepped outside and the fan was not running on the compressor, and the compressor not running. (Subsequent find was the running capacitor.)

So! Just where is Ozz when you really need him. Sitting in a snow pile somewhere sipping margaritas?

Well, the last item was not so bad. My B-I-L is in the residential AC business and he was on the spot this morning with a new running capacitor. But still, where is Ozz when you need him, eh?

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I is here, sitting in the mountains with my A/C on, not too bad, but we just set up and I got sweaty.
I have been getting 2, 3 calls a day from the guy that took over my business back in K.C. Poor guy has had it rough. Not too much experience on the job, about 2 years out of school. I trained him on my customers for a year, he will be OK.
I have a milk crate and a half full of split and motor caps, last summer a capacitor plant burned down in Mexico, we had a devil of a time getting them. 50% of my calls in summer last year were caps and motors. (Other 50% were dirty coils and bad units.) Glad you got taken care of.
Dang, I think I will have a beer...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I am sure the AC guys look at this time of year with mixed feelings. Good for business. But lordy, I would hate to have to work outside in this heat.
33 straight days over 100. 40 total days over 100 so far. 109-110 the last 3 days. 107-108 predicted for the next couple days, then cooling down to "only 102" or so. 100+ predicted for the next 7 days at least. Record is 42 consecutive days over 100. Looks like we may break that.
Got my fingers crossed the home AC keeps going. I wanna go back to the mountains like Ozz.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We just finished 4000+ miles. On up to New England, over to Niagara, through lower Ontario, Canada, to St Clair, Muskegon, St. Ignace, Marquett, on down to Bloomington, MN and all this time the temperatures were in the Mid 60's, lower 70's during the day, and turn the heater on 54 or so degrees in the morning. Wonderful weather, and then we hit Branson, MO and points south to home. It is actually cooler here in Texas City, TX, than other parts of Texas. Upper 90's during the day, but with the AC now working it's 74 in the house. We still have the SOB in the drive way, and it was real tempting last night to go out and sleep in it, but we just turned the fans on and by morning I was covering up even without the AC.

Jim, I wish I were up there with you. I'm going to schedule all the medical, insurance, and vehicle registrations for a different part of the year and spend June, July, and August somewhere it's cooler - now where?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I remember when everyone was complaining about the severe cold a few months ago, and now we are getting severe heat. Does anyone else feel like the temps are seemingly at opposite exremes every year? The swing is incredible.

People were dying from too cold and now they are dying from too hot. It's so sad. And the droughts, too! I don't know if this has always been the case, but it sure seems deaths to weather are on the rise. Does anyone know if this is the case? Not good for anyone with this in our future.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:38 AM   #6
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
remember when everyone was complaining about the severe cold a few months ago, and now we are getting severe heat. Does anyone else feel like the temps are seemingly at opposite exremes every year? The swing is incredible.

Art I just think the older we get the hotter it seems in the summer and colder it is in the winter.
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I often wonder if its really all that odd that we are having what we call extreme weather, and seasons. Could it always have been this way and the media just makes it more known? We all know the media loves to sensationalize everything. Yea I know TX is in a drought, and yes the mid west seems hotter this yr. Just curious how odd it really is?

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Climate change is nothing more that History repeating its self. Climate change has been happening for millions of years.... Its been hotter than normal every place we have been this summer. We are in Red River New Mexico and the weather is great. Middle 70's and the upper 40's to the low 50's. Have had the Fireplaces on the last two mornings. Will roll on down to Taos New Mexico on Monday, we will probably use the A/C there during the day. Happy Trails....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Rub it in Delaine and Linday, rub it in.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Not wanting to say that it is hotter in Austin Texas than normal, but we are breaking records over 70 years old. Yes, I am older, but I walked 18 holes of golf a year ago when it was 98 F. When it gets to 107 F not the heat index, dangerous. I won't be walking or playing anytime soon. You have to wonder if this will end before winter sets in around December. There is an end to the high pressure system over Texas, that would be a massive hurricane that blows through Texas.... Sorry Waynem.

Seems like lots of places have had abnormal weather over the past few years. I tend to think that we are in a cycle that is either contributed by our gasses...or it is mother nature just saying live the dream while you can. Kind of like is the glass half full or half empty. We that are posting are possibly seeing the next climate change for our grand children. Who knows.... but enjoy your day what ever your controlled temperature is. Me thinks that since I have an RV that has wheels that it might be in cooler temperatures next summer. We are changing things that we are strapped to here at the house. That means no home grown tomatoes, squash etc......hhhmmm I love my garden. I want the best of both worlds.... so stock market please go up.

Wayne...glad the my favorite four legged friend has AC. I need to give you a call about a techie issue. Glad you guys are home safe and sound... miss you.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

Climate change is nothing more that History repeating its self. Climate change has been happening for millions of years....
This is true.
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:59 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
No stinkin' hurricanes. No stinkin' hurricanes.

Just because your DH bob makes his living off of them is no reason to jinx us by posting anything about a hurricane. Jeeeesssssshhhhhh!

We are also going to change our "scheduled items to get done in August," and next year we will be gone for the summer months. Of course, with our luck the dumb weather will follow us. My son is being transferred to Camp Pendelton, CA, so with any luck we may be able to enjoy some of the CA weather next summer.