Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2009, 05:04 AM   #1
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Mission tires

I am aware that the displeasure with mission tires is no secret, and my Montana is a wonderful vehicle to camp in, what really bothers me is, why weren't you more concerned about the safety of your customers. Lets's face it there is no dealer/service network in the United States for Mission tires, wasn't that a clue??? Did you research this company to find out about quality???? or were they just the cheapest tire you could get! I had a blowout yesterday on US 192 just past the town of Harmony, Florida. fortunately I saw it just as it happened and pulled safely off the road. Listen up Keystone, I had my little grandchildren in the truck with me and they were scared, that I am not happy about!!!!!

Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
KEYSTONE, YOUR WARRANTY WORK HAS BEEN VERY FAIR FOR US, ONCE WE GOT OUR DEALER OUT OF THE PICTURE.
I DO AGREE WITH OLD GI ON THE TIRE ISSUE. WE HAD TWO MISSION TIRES COME APART IN THE FIRST 7,000 MILES. WE WERE OFFERED NEW CHINESE TIRES, BUT WERE AFRAID TO TAKE THEM. WE REPLACED FOUR TIRES TIRES WITH MICHELIN AT OUR OWN EXPENSE.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Mission is just a name,, if you want to buy enough tires you can put your own name on them , I was told they can order tires with the name "MONTANA" on them , so its only a name 3 guys in a bar on a tuesday nite thought up ,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sailer

Mission is just a name,, if you want to buy enough tires you can put your own name on them , I was told they can order tires with the name "MONTANA" on them , so its only a name 3 guys in a bar on a tuesday nite thought up ,,sailer
Yep, IIRC, the real name is "Nankang".
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:24 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Old GI, we are with you, none of us are happy about the choice they made.
Glad you all came out of the deal safe.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
Brings to mind the quote attributed to John Glenn: "As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind: Every part of this capsule was supplied by the lowest bidder."
db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:16 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
While that is very true about the Mission tires it is also very true that EVERY vendor provided part is low bidder, cost effective no matter were it is made.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:55 AM   #8
soonerhooligan
Established Member

M.O.C. #9086
Are you listening Keystone?
soonerhooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:02 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My favotite come back is ... If they built a 3400 the way I think it should be built with the quality of materials I think should be used, it would weigh about 25K or more and cost about 150K. Also the quality control I would require would mean that they might build maybe 10 a day???(in good times) BTW.. We can or could have purchased on of those brands..how come we did not????

we replaced our Mission tires at @ 12K although we had no trouble with them . We understood they were low bidder, cost effective tires an would have replaced any brand OEM tire at that time.(We did on previous campers) We also invested in the tire pressure Monitor day one as we did not trust low bidder, cost effective tires. We were lucky. to get away with 12K high speed miles..not many do.Then again..we did not tempt fate..
Old 04-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
We just got back to Ohio after 5 months in Florida. We had not had any problems with the Missions yet but I just was beginning to wonder about them. So I made a appointment to get four new Goodyear Marathons on Monday before we left last Tuesday. On Sunday, as I was preparing for the trip to the tire dealer on Monday I removed the tire covers and something "funny" caught my eye. On the front side of the left front tire there was a split down the middle of the tread about 8 inches long and 1/2 to an inch wide. Man was I ever glad I had made the decision to replace them. Whew!!!
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #11
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
My Montana has less than 1,000 miles on it! Low bidder or not when safety is an issue any reputable company would be foolish to put themselves in a position to be sued, or to have a class action suit against them, I still say that the Mission tire fiasco could have been prevented if Keystone had done some market research.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The reality is there has been no class action suit nor have they been sued(that we know of or can find) and the reality of low bidder is part of the Rv and many other industries.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:21 AM   #13
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
I've been reading about Mission tires now for over a year.

We are leaving FL after being here 5 months today.......really makes you feel bad when I have to travel back to WI with these Chinese Bombs!

I can't believe Montana would put crap like this on their name!

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:08 AM   #14
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Deleted
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #15
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Let me say that when I started this post it was "Hey Keystone" not hey MOC'ers. I made a statement about my feelings to Keystone I did not intend to debate or defend my position to the members of the MOC. When I bought the Montana I bought it because I liked the layout and the dealer is close to me, no other reason. Price was not a consideration and as far as quality I guess SOB owners would defend their decision to buy what they bought. This my second Montana and I will probably buy a third, who knows.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #16
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Old GI,
Your point is well taken. Posts in this section are meant to be directed toward the Keystone organization. Thank you for reminding everyone of the purpose of this section.

RVWheels, Admin., MOC
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #17
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
As stated before, when we have problems with a certain product, be it Mission tires, Domentic refrig, or anything else, we talk about it and complain about it here. What we should remember is that for every rig with a problem, there are a great many with no problems...it just that the latter owners don't jump in with a post saying that their tires/refrig/etc work fine.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote