Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
sterling090

M.O.C. #9678
forum Newbie and Montana Newbie...soon

Hello everyone. I really want to hand out thanks to all those who welcomed my wife Marilyn and I (Sterling) to the forum in the "New Members Corner". We are very excited to get our Monty and set up shop.

We just signed the purchase agreement with Walnut Ridge Family RV in New Castle, IN today. The unit, a 2010 3400 is due in the first week of November. Until the wife and I began to look at 5ers a month or so ago, we had no idea how much room these units had to offer.

In the past we have had three different sized travel trailers and one 34 ft. 18 yr. old motorhome. Was not extremely happy with the setup in general of either of them. But, I can see already that the world of 5ers is what we have been missing.

We have bought some property in the hills of Brown County Indiana and planned on selling our current house near Hope, IN and then living in a motel or somewhere until a cabin could be built on the property. After much thought, we decided to put a nice concrete pad on the property, have a septic put in to handle the fifth wheel load. Already have electric and water and a pole barn there, so by December or so we should be able to take our new Monty to the property and live there while we try to sell our house. Who knows, we may never build a cabin with as much room as these units have.

Especially when one considers how much we have always liked to rravel, and the fact that we are both retiring in 4-5 years and will be jaunting around the US in the fifth wheel most of the time after that, a cabin just might get in the way. However it turns out, the fifth wheel should serve nice double duty as a residence and a way to travel for a few years until we decide what need to have.

It is nice to join this forum where it only takes a second to realize how many great, helpful folks frequent it. Am looking forward to getting to know many of you, and to possiblly meet some of you out on the road.

Take care,

Sterling & Marilyn Burgdorf
Hope, IN

sterling090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Sterling, Welcome to "The Best Darned Forum on the WWW!" You might want to read the threads on tire issues and possibly have your dealer change out the Chinese made tires for a good American Made brand, when the unit arrives. Keep in mind that Goodyear Marathons ARE NOT made in the USA and are subject to failure as any Chinese made tire. No real way to know what tires you will have when the unit arrives........ Again, Welcome and happy RVing.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:31 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Stop by Goshen the week of the 21st of Sept. You will be able to meet many who post here and get some great info from some vendors. AND a special factory tour
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:52 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Welcome

Congrats!!

Read the archives here at the MOC, look for articles on winter camping! Lots of good hints on how to survive in coolish weather!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:59 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome! Whether moving or setting, fulltime RVing is working for us. We traveled 43 of the 48 contiguous states since March of 2007. Now we are idled in the state of Washington for a while. It will be our first winter in the north. We will see how our 340 RLQ (Big Sky equivalent to the 3400) manages the job.

Paring down the "stuff" to live in the RV can be difficult, especially if you have strong attachment to the "stuff", but it is very freeing to finally stop being owned (your time and energies) by your possessions.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:02 AM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Well again we welcome you two.
It sounds as if you have a good plan.
I hope you get many years of enjoyment from your new camper!

Perhaps we will see ya sometime on the road.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:39 AM   #7
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Welcome! Indiana, you say? Then make it a point to attend the rally next week. I'm sure you will be able to learn alot about your new rig.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
You are doing what we should have done--been happy with the well and electricity, and forget building a stick house. Once the house got underway, we realized that we really loved living in our Montana on the property, and we wished we hadn't started the house. We hadn't even lived in the house for a year before we put it up for sale. We want to travel and attend the Montana rallies. Just going to one--our first, at 7 Feathers in June--showed us what we were missing by being tied to a house, which, in our case, also means that I am still tied to working. No house, no work.

Boy, I wish our house would sell QUICKLY so that we can move back into our Monty!

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #9
sterling090

M.O.C. #9678
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Sterling, Welcome to "The Best Darned Forum on the WWW!" You might want to read the threads on tire issues and possibly have your dealer change out the Chinese made tires for a good American Made brand, when the unit arrives. Keep in mind that Goodyear Marathons ARE NOT made in the USA and are subject to failure as any Chinese made tire. No real way to know what tires you will have when the unit arrives........ Again, Welcome and happy RVing.
Appreciate the heads up on the tires. Sounds like I had better do some reading in the forum reference this problem...thanks.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
sterling090

M.O.C. #9678
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Welcome

Congrats!!

Read the archives here at the MOC, look for articles on winter camping! Lots of good hints on how to survive in coolish weather!
Thanks Mrs. CG for the winter advice. I've read much of the posts already about surviving the chills, but still have much to cover. Am looking forward to the winter, with a little bit of trepidation mixed in...take care....Sterling
Old 09-17-2009, 08:27 AM   #11
sterling090

M.O.C. #9678
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Welcome! Whether moving or setting, fulltime RVing is working for us. We traveled 43 of the 48 contiguous states since March of 2007. Now we are idled in the state of Washington for a while. It will be our first winter in the north. We will see how our 340 RLQ (Big Sky equivalent to the 3400) manages the job.

Paring down the "stuff" to live in the RV can be difficult, especially if you have strong attachment to the "stuff", but it is very freeing to finally stop being owned (your time and energies) by your possessions.
I can relate to what you said about possessions. When I think of all the stuff I'll have to put in storage, it sounds like a very hard thing to do. But, at the same time, I somehow am looking forward to that feeling of freedom and all that it entails...at least I hope so...hehehe....Sterling
Old 09-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #12
sterling090

M.O.C. #9678
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wayne and Carolyn Mathews

You are doing what we should have done--been happy with the well and electricity, and forget building a stick house. Once the house got underway, we realized that we really loved living in our Montana on the property, and we wished we hadn't started the house. We hadn't even lived in the house for a year before we put it up for sale. We want to travel and attend the Montana rallies. Just going to one--our first, at 7 Feathers in June--showed us what we were missing by being tied to a house, which, in our case, also means that I am still tied to working. No house, no work.

Boy, I wish our house would sell QUICKLY so that we can move back into our Monty!

Carolyn
Wow Carolyn, good advice! That no house no work thing sounds so very good to me right now as I sit here at work. Can't wait to join the lifestyle...I'm sure the fit will be great....Sterling