Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
First Time 5th Wheelers but No Strangers to RVing

Doug and I just returned from overseas (three and a half years in Bahrain an island kingdom off the coast of Saudi Arabia.) in October. Doug is retired Navy working his third career (fourth if you count working for his Dad's plumbing business before enlisting in the U.S. Navy at the ripe old age of 17 (his Mom had to sign him in)) as a federal civilian with the U.S. Navy. I am also a career federal employee. After Doug retired from active duty he told me as I followed him around the world for his career he would do the same for me (and I didn't even know I wanted a career ).

After his retirement we settled in Umatilla, FL (near Eustis and that great bass fishing that was referred to in one of the forums) for ten years and then moved to Naples, Italy for five and a half years (as a Navy brat I lived there in the 70's with my parents learned the language and fell in LOVE with the country). Doug wound up in Pensacola and I returned to Orlando (where we both had worked before moving to Naples). Before he was able to get a job back in Orlando, Doug bought a Winnebago Class A and a permanent camping site in Lillian, AL as his "residence" up north. I bought a house in Casselberry (north west greater Orlando area) for all the "stuff." After nine months of geographic separation Doug was able to get a job in Orlando and the RV went to the 5 acres in Umatilla where the "forever house" will eventually be built and became our "country estate" for the weekends that had a tendency to move about the southeast for long weekends. Somewhere in the 22 months we were in the states we upgraded to a Winnebago diesel pusher with one slide out. We held on to the Class A for about a year and a half during our sojourn in Bahrain and for the good of the unit (diesels HAVE to roam or weird things grow in the fuel tank and strange things start to happen to the unit overall) we sold it to our aunt and uncle and they LOVE it.

With our return stateside (again greater Orlando area) last fall, Doug bought a new Dodge Diesel pick up truck (don't have more details than that other than you get in it, turn the key, and drive...oh yeah, and fill it up in $75.00 increments if you pay at the pump). This purchase, along with the desire to explore these great United States; revisit a number of places we've seen in our travels with the Class A, Pop-up Tent Camper, and/or honest to gosh canvas tent camping; and, pick up RVing with my parents again; resulted in our decision to get a 5th wheel. Started off looking at previously owned models (everything that we've purchased with wheels on it relating to "camping/RVing" has been previously owned) and somehow wound up ordering a 10th Anniversary 2955 Montana. We are looking at delivery in the next few weeks!

Those of you with military careers can appreciate the fact that while a "forever house" has significant appeal after moving around the country/world for your entire life (for me at least as my father is also retired navy)...the idea of being anchored is a horrible fate! So the 5th wheel will serve as our vacation home and weekend retreat until our retirement and might be our part time home when I retire in six or so years.

Your Montana Owner's Club site has been a source of great information (like the PDI checklists), amusement (That "void the warranty" comment in dog chipping forum made me laugh out loud.), and friendship (the "Welcome to the group" emails alone make you feel immediately a part of the group). I am sure we'll continue to log in on a daily basis and garner at least one valuable tidbit each time. Thanks for being in the worldwide network!

Regards,
Robin (eeoski), Doug (fire1), and the four footed "children" (Yorkies) Piccola ("Little One") and Lupo ("Wolf")

eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We are happy that you are here. Hopefully you will travel to Goshen, IN this September for the 2008 MOC Fall Rally. That would be a very nice part of the country to see about then. We are in the Orlando area now while I am working at Disney World. Many MOCers are in this area right now.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
Love to hear the excitement in your words. We picked ours up on Thursday and had her in the woods on Friday! That was 20 months and 14,000 miles ago. We too are in the Orlando area working for Mickey - Guess Mickey and Monty just go together!! Can't echo boylanag enough. Make every attempt you can to make Goshen this fall, you will not be disappointed. Great fun, great memories and especially great people.
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:50 AM   #4
Sandi
Established Member

M.O.C. #4207
I am also a Navy "brat" and lived in Naples for 3 years. Went to Forrest Sherman High. We love our 5th., but unlike you, I need ROOTS! I know you will enjoy your new home on wheels. Best of luck and safe travels! Sandi
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:46 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Welcome to the group. Helen and I were Career Federal employees now retired.We are also in the Orlando area and working for the Mouse.We along with a couple of other MOC'ers are at Mouse Mountain Rv Resort.. Exit 58 on I-4.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:31 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Welcome! You will enjoy the info on this forum, as you have already discovered. Info on here has saved Cheryl and I incalculable pain and suffering AND many $$$. We are fulltimers and also both working at Disney part time for the benefits, free fun, and now for the increased diesel budget.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Hi Robin and Doug,

Welcome to MOC, it is great place to share information.

I too am retired Civil Servant...spent my last 2 years on the job in Kuwait as an advisor to the Kuwaitis. Every month or so we would take a long weekend in Bahrain or Abu Dhabi.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Thanks for all the kind words of welcome! I am sure we'll be crossing paths in the near future (either by accident or design)! Doug just got word the Monty will be off the assembly line on the 9th and we can expect delivery at Lazy Days sometime mid-month (after testing at the factory and transport to Florida).

So we hope to be on the road very soon after that on a "shake down" trip!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Hi Robin and Doug, welcome to this site. An excellent reference source. Hope to see you sometime on the road. I'm and Army brat and am on active duty currently. Looking forward to retirement next year after 30 yrs. A great shakedown trip could be to Branson in May.....
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:52 AM   #10
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Hi Robin & Doug and welcome to the Club. We just completed our shake down cruise to Branson and are bringing our unit to the dealer on Monday for a few "adjustments". Nothing serious but interesting enough we found references to 3 of our issues on this web site. I was able to "advise" the service manager before I drop it off.

These are a great group of folks and even though we haven't met any yet, we did not make a mistake in purchasing our 3400RL or joining this Club.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Great to have you with us. Problem solving and creativity are hallmarks of the forum. We are on our second Montana. We have been full timers in this new rig for almost a year. So when you retire, the road is open for you.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote