Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
Mary Ann

M.O.C. #7955
New Member, have a question

My husband, Buck, & I are thinking of buying a Montana 3400RL. Can anyone tell us if they have one and have you had any problems with it?

Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We have one that is eight months old, and although we have had a couple minor issues, they were covered under warranty with no problems. We love our rig and love our times together in the rig.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If you buy any RV made by any manufacturer you will have some kind of problem sooner or later. There is no trouble free unit. I believe that the Montana is well built and as stable a unit as you will find. The 3400 is a very popular unit. The Big Sky 340 RLQ is basically the same floor plan. My wife and I enjoy ours very much.

I have no problem recommending the Montanas as the "best bang for your buck", which is one of many Montana owner's favorite statements. I have toured the Montana plant in Goshin, IN and was impressed with the quality of the construction on the units.

Dianna and I are on our second Montana and would not have made this our full time home if we were not satisfied with all facets of the Montana.

By-the-way, welcome to the forum and it is great to have you join in.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:01 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have a 06 3400 that is 19 months old. Problems and the RV industry go hand in hand. You will most likely have problems, how severe is the luck of the draw. We have had many problems most not serious but also not minor and all taken care of by keystone or the involved vendors.As was mentioned the Montana is a good bang for the buck.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:45 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
We have just over 8,000 miles on ours and have not had any problem except for the DVD player which Keystone took care of. This is our second Montana and both have been great.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:42 AM   #6
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Mary Ann, we have had our 3400RL for a couple of years now. We are the weekender - vacation type and we have had only minor problems - most of my own making sometimes of doing something stupid. Our Dealer has handled the warranty issues to our satisfaction. Would I buy another one? You betcha - we have yet to run across another of our liking. I'm not sure they build an RV that at some point will not have some type of problem. In some ways it is the nature of the beast, we go barreling down the highway and subject the coach to minor earthquakes (and some of the roads like I65 in Birmingham- major 8.0 on the richter scale earthquakes) sooner of later something is going to come loose or give up.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We have the 2007 3400RL and we enjoy it. We had a 2003 2955RL before that and also enjoyed it.

We have been pretty lucky with both of ours, but I do have a high tolerance. I practice the following to stay sane
  • I don't swear I will never buy another Monatana whenever something breaks, because I already did buy another Montana, so I would be lying.
  • My Montana cost about the same as it's competitor, so expecting higher quality equipment or even craftsmanship would be a unrealistic expectation on my part.
  • The Montana is an assembly of other products used by most RV manufacturers, so if my Apollo Microwave breaks or my Lippert pump fails, I can pretty well rest assured it would have broke on the other brand RV as well
  • If I push hard enough I can get my Dealership to fix every single item on my Montana, but then I don't always want him to. He will only fix it to the original design. I can vastly improve most fixes.
Before we took delivery on our 3400RL, I used the MOC "search" feature and created a list of known problems and the fix performed by other owners here. I used the list for my delivery inspection, and after I got the rig home I spent a week going through everything on the list. I would like to say it helped me avoid many problems. Simple items included tightening water connections, checking tape seals on slides, etc.

The only problem we have had specific to the 3400 was a cracked sink in the kitchen (cosmetic only). It was just replaced under warranty.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:09 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
It's an RV, of course we've had problems!

But like the others have pointed out, nothing too serious or worse than any other RV. If we had to do it over, we'd get the exact same trailer.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:02 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have an '05 3400. Had no warranty problems. Very few since, nothing we can't fix. We are full timing and it is a great unit for that. I even have empty storage spaces! However the best thing about owning a Montana is the wonderful people you will meet as a member of this forum.
Happy trails............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #10
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We have a 2004 3400 and it has 22,000 miles on it. We had one major problem with the bedroom slide and Keystone took care of fixing it. The other problems we have had are very minor. We love our Montana and the room that it gives us.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:10 PM   #11
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
I agree with what others have said. You have made a good choice in a Keystone product. The point I would like to make is that you have joined the BEST website around and you'll be able to make yourself aware of the variety of problems that different folks have had at different times and how they fixed that problem - be it dealer/warranty or do it yourself.

One other thing I'd like to mention is consider getting an extended warranty. It is a personal choice, but I think it is worth it.

to MOC. Learn a lot. Make new friends. Most of all, have FUN.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote