Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
Dogman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #182
Dull front cap

Our front cap is beginning to look somewhat dull. I've washed it and have always used regular car wax on it but the last time I did that it just seemed to streak and ended up looking worse. I assume it's beginning to oxidize. I see a lot of different products out there so would appreciate any opinions on what might be the best thing to use to solve the problem. The rest of the 5'vr looks fine and shines up good. Thanks for the input.

Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:15 PM   #2
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
The only thing that I have used on the 2 5vers that we have owned is Zip waz car wash & wax. It keeps it looking nice & shiny.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:36 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dogman, I do the same as Gene but mine still oxidized. Plus I used some bug remover that dulled it pretty badly. I just talked yesterday to the body guy at the Keystone Service Center about how to bring back the shine. He said use automotive compound just like you would on a car. He then did a couple of spots on corners where it wouldn't bee too obvious and it looks like with an application of wax that would be much better. I'll have to be very careful with the edges of the decals but one of these days will give it a try. I'll look for compound intended for fibreglass, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:08 AM   #4
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Cliff & Steve,

This is kind of interesting. We also had this problem. I notice we all have 03's. Hum, makes you wonder.

I did find a product that worked well at taking off the dullness. It also took off the Clear Coat though, which was OK with me as it left a nice shinny paint. The down side was the labor. About an Hr. a sq. ft.

Before I completed the job, I showed it to my Dealer. He for un-related reasons decided to send it out to a RV Collision Shop for complete strip and re-paint of the Front Cap. No Clearcoat was needed with the Paint they used. They did a great job and I use Nu-Finish on it now and wash the bugs off every night we Travel with plain water and a soft sponge. I just use a bucket of water, no hose and haven't been chewed on by a Park Host yet. I'll just tell them, I brought the water with me.

The Compound I was using is No.7 White Polishing Compound, from Cyclo Industries Palm Beach Gardens FL. 33410 www.cyclo.com

The can does state that they make one for Clear Coat finishes "No.7 Clearcoat Polishing Compound" it would be great if this would work for you Guys.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote