Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2005, 08:02 AM   #1
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Quest 2000 - Find something else

This subject has been discussed at length in other forums and the vote is nearly unanimous - the Quest 2000 Home Theater System is junk. I would GLADLY pay Keystome the extra bucks for a decent system (like Sony) if they were putting those in. As it is, my surround speakers (over the recliners) don't work, so it is another trip to the dealer that SHOULDN'T be necessary...

worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:37 AM   #2
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Ah.... another quality job.....Thanks Keystone!!
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:35 PM   #3
Montana_820
Established Member

M.O.C. #820
I couldn't agree more..just dumped the thing in the trash (just got it as a replacement last week for the 1000, which worked better if you can beleive that)and replaced it with a Sears Koss unit for 179 bucks.

Come on Montana, just send us all $100 and we'll leave you and the Quest 200 folks alone.

Montana_820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:52 AM   #4
Montana_2304
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2304
Amen
Montana_2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:34 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We agree. We have to go out to one of the vehicles to listen to the radio! It still won't play CD's even though we have tried everything. It plays DVD's so so and the speakers do work then but if we use the speakers for the TV then the picture on the TV is fuzzy. And it is very confusing to use.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:34 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Here's idea for Keystone, dump the remote thermostat and put the money into a decent sound system.

In truth, ours seems to work, but we practically never use it anyway. Still have not played the the one DVD I bought to test the system.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:09 PM   #7
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
The Quest unit is my biggest gripe about the amenities in our Montana. We have a Quest 1000 and the bass is overpowering. I have attempted to adjust this properly, but even with the bass at a setting of 1 (lowest is 0 which is off), we get the heavy thumping.
Also, since the last day of the national rally, our quest unit started to require a password for every DVD, but we never enabled Parental Controls!

I'm not going to say that I'm an expert on home theater, but I have a good system in our stick house and I grew up with different home theater setups. So, I know my way around these things and the Quest is the worst unit I have ever seen.

We're looking at either a Panasonic or Toshiba replacement Home Theater In a Box. They both cost around $300, but have good reviews online and are made by reputable brands (Believe it or not, Panasonic and Toshiba have websites and online support...Where is Quest online?). Even if we wanted to go cheaper, we can get a low end Koss or Audiovox setup, with speakers for around $170...and that's in Sears!

Anyway, we have a couple of months before the weather clears up enough to really do any meaningful work in the RV, so I'll be shopping around for the best deal on either of the two brands. I recommend keeping an eye on Slickdeals.net, they have a very active site with deals, usually 4-5 pages of posts per day in their forums.
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:50 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Fred,
Sony also has a very good system for about 300. 5.1 600 watts. We are debating between that and really going all out and getting a Bose. Just a thousand difference! Oh well what is money anyway.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:39 PM   #9
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Thanks Sue and Ed. I saw the Sony, but I haven't been impressed with their recent products. As for Bose...well, they sound good, but you're really paying for their marketing efforts. For the price of a Bose, I'd rather get a Harmon/Kardon system (just saw one for $899 at Circuit City).

I also just saw the Samsung units. They are going for around 350 and they have a wireless rear speaker system where you place the wireless receiver in the rear and run the 2 rear speaker cables from that. I'm seriously thinking of that unit because I don't like where Montana mounted the rear speakers on the 3575RL. When watching TV, we usually sit on the sofa, but the rear speakers are mounted over the rear window over the recliners. The wireless rear speakers would be great for use in the sliders.

I'll have to do some reading up on the different models and read some user reviews before I decide. Either way, I have trouble justifying going too much over 350 for an AV system in the RV since we are not fulltimers.

Fred
Old 03-24-2005, 02:29 PM   #10
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I got that SOny system for 300, sounds good, I am installing it this week.

DOnt just trash your Quest system, though. I contacted the Customer Relations Department at Keystone, and explained the problems I was having with mine, that it had been replaced twice, etc. THey told me to send it back, and they would refund me the price the dealer pays for the unit. Well, last week, I recieved my check from Keystone, to my shock, it was for $195!! Now that I got that, I really only ended up paying $100 for the Sony system. They were happy they solved my issues, and i am pretty happy now myself. Might want to check into this yourselves. before you junk your old one.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:06 PM   #11
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
I can't believe the dealer price on the Quest is $195! At that price, Montana should be able to get the Toshiba or RCA systems that retail around $250.

Fred
Old 03-25-2005, 01:59 AM   #12
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
Once I figured out how to set it up to get the 2 surround speakers working, our does a pretty respectable job, (it's still not a Sony, but it's OK). To get the 2 surround speakers working, you have to go into setup, speakers and turn the downmix off. Of course they will still only work with 5.1 DVD's
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:01 AM   #13
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I couldnt believe it either, I was expecting around $100.
Your right, at that price, you would think they could do a better job.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 03:25 PM   #14
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
I just got a great deal on a Samsung closeout Home theater system. The model is HT-DS610 and I got it for $174.93. This is a 600 watt system with a 5 DVD carousel. I got the last one at my local Sears, but you may get lucky in other areas.

This unit comes with the sub and 5 speakers, but I ran into a new problem, the speaker mounts in my RV have a different size thread (ARRGH). I checked the speakers in my stick house home theater and they match the thread size of the Samsung unit, so I assume the quest has the non-standard size. I've already installed the main unit, but I have to get to Best buy or somewhere and buy new speaker mounts that fit.

One further note, this Samsung model (and possibly other samsung units) have a special color coded connection for each speaker. I had to splice the existing speaker wire into the samsung connectors, but they worked.

Fred