Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2005, 08:01 AM   #1
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Delorme Street Atlas 2005 update

Delorme has put an update on its site to correct a "Find" problem that shows up as "Find Tab failed to initialize, ISO error".

Just go to the support site for Delorme and look under support. The download is a magnetic declination update.

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It was because of some government change from what I understand. I got it ahead of 1/1 and it installed a background app that waited until 1/1 and then asked permission to make the update. Interesting approach. It worked fine. We used SA going to Tampa and back without problem, including the Find.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:08 PM   #3
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I had been having a problem and did'nt realize what the problem was. I down loaded last night and installed, hav'nt tried it yet. Thanks for the info.
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:49 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I ordered Street Atlas 2005 from Amazon in December. Must be back ordered because they just updated to the end of January for shipment. But for $32.99 including shipping, I'm not going to complain. I assume that it will have the update but I will double check. Thanks for the info.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 01:50 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, the update is only around 250k to download. If it already has the update it will tell you that when you install the update. I have SA2005 on two laptops and forgot I'd done it on one already so tried to install it again. It said the update is already installed.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:57 AM   #6
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
One place that I found for some more info is yahoo groups. The groups name is street atlas. I have seen posts there where others are finding s/a not very user friendly. Still trying to figure mine out.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:16 PM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Ron -

Since I'm still waiting on Amazon.com to send mine, I haven't seen 2005. But my Street Atlas USA 6.0 was fairly easy to use. It might be more difficult now, so I'll have to wait and see. I like the new MS Streets and Trips, but haven't gotten it to work with my GPS yet. I talked to the Garmin reps at the Chicago Boat, RV and Travel show. They said to contact customer support. So, back again.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:33 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ronstan, once you learn your way around, it's very powerful. But I do agree it's not very user friendly at first. If you don't get answers elsewhere, post here and maybe some of us can help. I'm not an expert but have been using it for several years.

I just wish I could use Streets and Trips for setting up a route and then Street Atlas while on the road, tracking the route.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:16 AM   #9
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Just a little update Have been playing around with mine now and am getting it figured out. Just seems to take a little. Have put two trips in that we will take this spring. Even figured out how to find resturants. That is the important part
Was wondering if there is a way to get the map to go back to the original point quick like
Old 01-29-2005, 11:14 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, a tip if I may. I turned off the auto calculate so I can put in vias and other things and click on Calculate when I'm ready. Otherwise I have to wait for it to recalculate with each change. Some of my trips cover several days and more than a thousand miles and those take a few seconds to recalculate.

Also, when you change your road preferences, don't recalculate a route you already planned with different road preferences or it will use the new preferences and may change your routing. I wish those preferences stayed with each route but it doesn't work that way.

At some point you may want to investigate Road Edits, too. There you can change from one way to two way, etc. And you can add new roads if necessary. That can be a bit tricky but it does work.

And, of course, plot a route then go try driving it so you hear the voice, etc. By the way, I turned off the automatic back on route feature since the threshhold choices at where it decides you're off route and it should recalculate only goes up to 500 feet (or was it 500 yards?). These are govt maps and I've seen times the map is off more than that and it starts recalculating every few seconds. So I'll just manually tell it to get me back on track if necessary.

I have tons of draw files I can load in, also. I have one for each state's campgrounds I've marked, like "CG KS". Next time we're going through Kansas I load that draw file (from the Map tab or the Draw tab).

Somewhere out there are draw files for all the Flying J's, the COE parks, Walmarts, etc. The Escapees site has one for all their participating parks. There's another for Passport America parks, too, that I downloaded from somewhere. Email me if you (or anyone else) wants any of these. I have several for Walmarts from the past three years or so.

I'm still learning so if you find something nifty, let me know.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:20 PM   #11
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Thanks for the tip Steve. Here is a web site that I found the other day that has a lot of stuff you can download for using in S/A
http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfo.htm
This has a wealth of info.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:45 PM   #12
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Thanks Ron, That site really is full of good stuff. I will be downloading files for a while!

Jim
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 05:37 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
thanks, Ron. I think this is where I got much of what I have but I lost the link. So, thank you for putting me back in touch with it. I haven't scrolled all the way down that page yet but see it says also it has things for Streets and Trips and MapNGo, if those folks want to check it out.

For those of you with S&T version prior to 2004, they also have a 'fix' to cause S&T to update more frequently when tracking your route on the road.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:01 PM   #14
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Steve Today while coming from Toledo south on I 75 my gps quit working. It was searching for about 10 miles or more. Then all of a sudden it started working again. Had you ever had that happen. I didn't do the routing as we were testing a gps in a tractor truck. I used my S/A to track and leave a trail. The map is better than looking at the paper jobs.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:18 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Ron -

On your GPS, did you look at the satellite screen to see if there was poor coverage? With my GPS II plus, I had an issue in South Carolina of not having service. I will be downloading some of the files also. I had found that site once before, thanks to Steve. Now that I have both Streets and Trips and Street Atlas 2005 versions, I will need to try a few of the files. Even with the newest version of Street Atlas, I had to use the "fix" from Delorme. I am surprised that they also don't have a lot of the campgrounds listed in their POI database. I find Microsoft has a lot more.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:53 AM   #16
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Ron. I'm not sure if I can check that or not. Steve can probably tell me that. I have trailer life rv campground finder 2004. I can use it to find campgrounds in the area I am in or going to. They have a new one out but ut is a 2c/d one and not sure I want to get it. Since we don't full time we pretty much camp within 2 hrs time of here and know pretty much wich one we are going to. Also our club sets up a schedule in Dec. as to where we are going the next year. We usually camp with the club twice a month somewhere and then do others by ourselves.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:30 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When I don't find the CG I want in SA I do a find on the address. Ron A, I mentioned earlier I was not finding CG's on S&T. The reason was I had not checked the CG box on the hide/show dialog. Now I'm finding them on S&T.

Ron S., I've not had that problem but maybe once in several years. Sounds like it lost the satellites for some reason. I have found that if you minimize SA it will sometimes lose it and then I have to close out of SA and restart it, then restart the GPS. Mine is not set to auto start the GPS since I don't want it looking for the gps when I'm doing route planning. It has maintained connection with the satellites in places I thought sure it would lose it and has even kept enough to keep going when in the Eisenhower tunnel in Colorado, or maybe it just reconnected as soon as we came out of the tunnel. If it has full satellites the arrow is green. If it goes yellow it has a reduced number of satellites. All that affects is display of the altitude.

Thinking about it I do remember losing it for a couple of hours one time. I found out later the govt had shut things down for a couple of hours but don't recall the reason. Probably security related. That happened just once. somewhere there is a site listing planned down times for certain satellits along with areas affected by that.

Ron, did you trying shutting down SA and restarting it?

Sometime just plan out a short route and go out and drive it even if you know the territory well. Just to get a feel for how it works and to make sure the voice is understandable. There are several to choose from.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:38 AM   #18
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I plan on doing a short route maybe next week. We went through about 4 tunnels when we were over in W.V. and Pa. We had to drive from Fort Wayne to Pittsburg on I 70 and do some driving around Pittsburg on Interstates and then go north up to 80 and take it back to Toledo and then back here. Couldn't see all of the scenery as it was foggy and snowy on the way back. When we went through the tunnels it showed on the map that there was no signal. Kinda interesting
Old 02-10-2005, 03:12 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, I missed your earlier comment. To see the satellites it's finding, go to the GPS tab, then the Status button, then the Sat Info button on the right side. If you're in a tunnel it can lose sight of the satellites but it should pick them up again soon as you come back out. Are you using the Earthmate GPS with yours? I've found that one works best with SA, at least for me.

By the way, be sure to go to the Display tab, Features button. I have everything checked except Grid lines and Map Center Crosshair. I like to see detail. If you use satellite TV and need to know the zip code, check in that box and it will display zipcode right on the map. Or you can rightclick/info and get the zip code.

Also, while not all CG's are on SA, maybe not as many as S&T, most of those I've found are there. Those not there I just search by address. Not as nice as having all of them on the map but it works.

If you think you need that update (my SA2005 needed it) the easiest way is to fire up SA while you are online and click the NetLink tab. Then follow the instructions. Or, go wo www.delorme.com and download it from there. It's only around 250k download.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:57 PM   #20
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Picked up DeLorme's Earthmate with Street Atlas today, installed, got the update and in twenty minutes got so confused I was ready to commit violence on my new laptop.

I have always thought of myself as patient, at least in the learning of software. However, I am less inclined to be tolerant with the learning curve lately. Is there any well presented "Earthmate for dummys", or am I just going to have to jump through the hoops?
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote