Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Yet another tire post! Lol

Our friends from the MOC Forum just stopped by Redding in their 2014 3750. Met them in June at an RV Park in Red Bluff. Have become good friends and we have met up with them twice. As we sat by their RV last Thursday night, I discussed the "E rated tires" on the Montana! Mike said "soon as we get back home in Southern Ca, I will change them out". Just got off the phone with them south of Sacramento. The tire looked like it exploded! I heard you guys talk about it. Never see a photo of one. Wow, that's incredible! No RV damage thank God! Adding insult to injury, the lug wrench was never hung on the wall next to the spare tire lowering wrench! No lug wrench! Was missed during PDI. Plus their tire wrench for the truck was not compatible with RV lugs. Last they found out the "Roadside Service" was not covered for RV. Thank goodness another traveler stopped and assisted them. I guess it just goes to show the details, new RV owners need to know when buying. They are on their way again! New tires and roadside coverage is in the list! Oh btw, they called their dealer and were told, RVs don't come with lug wrenches!

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I have never had a lug wrench come with any of our rigs. Standard equipment added is torque wrench and sockets! Good that there was no trailer damage, bad that they had to fins out the hard way about tire selection.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
I have never bought a camper that had a lug wrench either. I carry an 18" breaker bar with socket to remove the lugs and a torque wrench for retightening them. I don't use the torque wrench to loosen the lugs. Tim
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:16 PM   #4
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
I didn't get a lug wrench either. I think the socket I use on my truck fits the Montana. Anyhoo, I have a breaker bar, extension, sockets and a torque wrench on board. Along with bottle jacks (6, 12), for those moments. Sorry your friend had to suffer a blowout, but glad he didn't have damage. Now he can move on to G rated tires and spread the good word.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
None of my trailers, neither of my 5ers have come with a lug wrench. If it was missed during PDI it was because it is not a part of the RV.
That is why we carry a tool box with deep sockets to accommodate the recessed lug nuts on some of the RV's. I also carry a torque wrench to ensure they are properly torqued, you cannot do that with a lug wrench.

Unfortunate your friends suffered the blowout, however they were lucky to not suffer any damage to the RV. Count your blessings and buy a properly fitting socket and extension, also a torque wrench is a good inexpensive investment.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:26 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's a shame no one tells folks any of this before they buy. We've also never had a lug wrench and were lucky enough to get rid of the E tires before they attacked.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
The wrench that hangs in the lower compartment only works the spare tire holder. A lug wrench, jack, etc is the owners problem.

Another example of someone buying something they know nothing about. Worse yet, going on a trip, clueless as what they need.

Glad there was no damage, but I have no sympathy for them.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:59 PM   #8
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I think sympathy is in order. Every vehicle i've ever purchased came with a jack and lug wrench. A trailer has wheels and lug nuts that may need to be removed just like a car. Therefor it's logical to expect a new purchase to come with the required tools since every other purchase with the same requirement did. Everybody is new once (I assume they are new to the lifestyle) and has to learn they aren't included somehow. They just happened to learn the hard way. Though, i do have to question not noticing it since I regularly check my lug nuts as is recommended on the little sticker below the 6 point leveler door.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:08 PM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Yup, no lug wrench with any RV we have ever had. Yup, we carry a complete set of deep sockets and a torqe wrench.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:23 PM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
About the first thing I took out of my new truck and each and every one I have owned was the chicken s^%t jack and lug nut wrench provided. Yes they will work in a pinch but I have always owned a "star" wheel wrench and carry a hydraulic jack in my truck. I cannot use the same wheel wrench on the trailer so I have sockets, extension and breaker bar that fit those recessed lug nuts.

My daughter has pulled her living quarters horse trailer for hundreds of miles, no wheel wrench, no jack and I shake my head in wonder. Guess she figures she is a girl and if she stands there and looks pretty and helpless someone will come along and help her out of a situation that could happen and one which she has been reminded of many times. I don't have any sympathy for her if a problem occurs because she has been told.

I don't think it is the dealers responsibility to educate a new owner, if you are going to pull one of these things down the road you should be prepared for a possible flat tire and know you have the tools to deal with it. This may seem harsh but I have seen and helped many who wound up in the same boat.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:47 PM   #11
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I have both lug wrench and spare tire handle, each hung by straps! Thought that must be standard? My Komfort had three items. The slide manual retract, the handle for lowering the landing gear, and a lug wrench!
Old 03-21-2015, 05:13 PM   #12
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
At the very least, on most of these rigs, there is a sticker that says the lug nut torque should be checked prior to trips. If the sticker had been noticed, they might have discovered the lack of a wrench. It's probably best that one gets their own tools, as the ones supplied if they were would probably break the first time they were used.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:32 PM   #13
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
I too think some sympathy is in order. I think part of the trouble is all our cars/trucks come with a jack,lug wrench, maybe a chock so it is not an unreasonable, but wrong, expectation. Doesn't matter that it may be a poor setup, it is there.
I have seen this before especially for people who think they will like the lifestyle but have little to no mechanical ablility or savvy. They simply are ignorant of what it takes. I see the same thing with boaters.
Those that won;t learn get out, those that will learn carry on but all of us have to learn.
Those with some reasonably applicable experience with equipment other than trailers have a huge leg up on the learning curve.

If they ignore the needs then they are on their own.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #14
Slink
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15851
I carry the proper size socket compressor torque wrech and genne
Slink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:38 PM   #15
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
UPDATE: less than 400 miles later, (this afternoon) they just blew a second tire on opposite side! Less than 3000 miles on set I believe! Both blow outs at 55 on I 5!
Old 03-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #16
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Which brand of tire did they have?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #17
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
That rig shouldn't roll any farther than necessary to get to a safe location and then get 14 ply rated tires installed. Hopefully this last event didn't do any damage other than the tire.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #18
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Dick: I am not sure the brand. They were the tires from the factory on the 2014 3750. I saw the E-Rating and want to say they were Marathon Tire? The tires were on opposites sides of the coach. They were dropping off RV at tire shop in Orange County tonight. No RV damage on either side. I also wanted to report that I spoke today with manager of dealer I bought my Montana at in Tx. He told me "they add the lug wrench" to every unit they sell. Include putting the holding straps on the storage wall. He said they remind new owners it's only used in emergency. Torque wrench must be used as he reminded me. He reminded me about the dealers supplemental buyers sheet. It contains warning about the 13.9 height on the 3750 with two 15k air units, and as I discovered tonight, a brief paragraph about needing a torque wrench. Always knew they were a first rate RV dealer!
Old 03-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #19
N2BchMtnMrsh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14360
I would like to thank AG for posting this information about us. The 2013 Montana 3750FL came with Goodyear Marathon's, made in China, with only E ply rating. To add to AGs information, we have about 7,000 miles on these tires, two trips from OC to Salem, OR and back, a couple of San Diego trips, a Vegas Trip and a Tahoe Trip. The treads still look new. But contrary to what AG posted, as I have not had a chance to talk with him, there is extensive trailer damage. When the first tire blew, it broke the electrical line to the trailer brakes, busted up the steel plate under the black and gray valves and bent the side panel. When the second one blew, it tore off the decorative rim plate, ripped up the back of the side panel clear to the back stairs. I am trying to post some pictures, I hope I can figure it out. And while I could change the tire myself, if I am spending money on AAA, Good Sam and National General Insurance, why should I break my back? The dealer gave me an entire tool set, a road emergency triangle set, and several other tools, but NO LUG WRENCH. The tool set wrenches only go up to 1/2 inch and the lugs are 7/8 inch. My truck is 13/16 inch. I am going to get a torque wrench and some thin wall sockets to carry with me. I don't mind road trouble, but I do mind it on an 9 month old Montana with less than 10,000 miles on it.
N2BchMtnMrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #20
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Hang on to those dead tires or what's left of them to submit a claim to Goodyear for the repair bill. There are others on the forum that have had their repairs covered by Goodyear, but you need the dead tires.