Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
ljensen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8384
Adding Temporary extra sleeping area. Ideas Neede

I have a 06-3400 I want to make a temporary sleeping area using the dinning table area. Table Pedestal must come apart into two parts. I need to cut it into half."I need idea's how to "make it sturdy" and easy to attach back on". The bottom will remain screwed to floor. The top part will be attached to table and set asside. I plan to take an approx. 4x6 3/4 plywood cut in half ,with piano hindge in center, and lay it on the 4 chairs to fit as the base support. It will fold in half and store behind the couch. The bottom half of pedestal will act as support for temp. bed.

ljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
There have been several tables over time all a little different at the top where the swivel is located. I think you may find a rod in that center pedestal from the top to the bottom with a nut on each end. You may need to deal with that.
I guess you could shorten that rod and use L brackets on the bottom to attach to base. Then the top half of the pedestal would have to have the rod so it could reattach at the halfway point. Then make a coupler out of oak to attach the top half to the bottom half. I don't know how well this would work.
It may be easier to remove the table and make some sort of bed in the table area and then use a fold up table for a temporary table setup in the LR area with the bed stowed. If this arrangement you are talking about is temporary that might work.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
As Jolu said the pedestal has a rod from under the base plate up to the top plate, cutting that pedestal in half would pretty much destroy it IMHO.

If the only reason you want to cut the pedestal in half is to support the plywood bed, then why not put two fold down legs, cut to proper length on each half of the plywood and leave the table/pedestal in tack when you remove it.

I would be experimenting with making a different pedestal before I cut that one up should you decide to go that route. Or use a temporary table when using the temporary bed.

I am sure others will have better advise than I can offer.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
ljensen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8384
I should have said that my table only slides to one side and the other.It has no pivot. My Pedestal is hollow no rod. The chairs will support each corner of the plywood base for bed. The bottom half of the pedestal will be left in place for center support only. I like the idea of easily taking down bed and putting back our table. I just need practial way of doing this. I am thinking center coupler in pedestal or luggage locks on sides. Something like that. Any other Ideas?
Old 12-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Some folks have removed screws from table legs to floor. If you are concerned about movement in transit, strap it down. Use your coffee/end table for center support. Move table, add your boards, coffee table, air mattress, Voila!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ljensen

I should have said that my table only slides to one side and the other.It has no pivot. My Pedestal is hollow no rod. The chairs will support each corner of the plywood base for bed. The bottom half of the pedestal will be left in place for center support only. I like the idea of easily taking down bed and putting back our table. I just need practial way of doing this. I am thinking center coupler in pedestal or luggage locks on sides. Something like that. Any other Ideas?
My pedestal is also hollow, what holds it all together is the rod from the bottom plate to the top plate, the pedestal does not rotate just the portion above the top plate on mine rotates. What you propose is not impossible with some engineering and less difficult if it does not have the rod to hold everything together.

Good luck, will be interested in your final solution.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
ljensen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8384
Hook, That would be the easiest. Did not think about coffee table as support, good idea. I could then move the table to that spot, it would limit the use of one reclinner but that is ok could then put guests suitcase on that. Good Idea! Thanks
Old 12-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have a 36RE which sleeps 4 comfortable. When we have our grand kids and needs extra sleeping space we put a twin blow up mattress on the floor in the living room in front of the pull out bed and another under the kitchen table. Our kitchen table attached to the wall, no legs. Just an idea of additional temporary sleeping.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
Weldon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11213
I would get a tent
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:21 AM   #10
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We use blow up mattresses also. Much easier, more comfortable and easy to store.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote