Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
nickandmarilyn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5229
direct tv question re dvr

Direct TV tells me that I have to add a single wire multiswitch in oreder to record a program and watch a different one at the same time. It's not HD so I have a single LNB dish. Does this sound right?
I have one wire coming from the dish into the convenience center and then into the back of the receiver.

nickandmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
You cannot record one program and watch a different one with a single lnb. you would need a dual lnb and 2 receivers
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
You don't need 2 receivers, just a dual LNB with two cables coming into one receiver. Go to Radio Shack and buy the dual LNB and put in on your dish. Camping World has the coax cable inlet receiver. It comes with a coax that leads from the outside cable receptacle to the DVR, or you may have to add some cable depending on the installation location. We placed our directly below the factory one and now have two cables coming from the dish to the DVR. If you want more particulars, let us know and I pin Bob down!

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Just about every Direct TV LNB I have seen is a dual LNB. There are two RF connectors on the LNB. As Bob n Pam wrote, just run another cable from the antenna into the trailer and connect to the two RF connectors on the DVR. The best route is two add a new two port RF connector on the outside wall. This will connect the antenna to the DVR. The original "cable/satellite" external connector remains and wil be used when there is a campground TV connection. The DVR has a RF connection point for the "local TV" feed. The DVR will pass the "local TV" signal through to the TV when the DVR is powered off.

With two feeds from the antenna to the DVR, you can record two programs and watch a third pre-recorded show all at the same time.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
You don't indicate what model DirectTV receiver that you have. There are many combinations, but it depends on the tuner that you have. Some have one input, and some have two inputs from the antenna. You may need a multiswitch, duplexer, splitter - it all depends on your configuration. I would need more information on model and antenna to research your question.

Having a multiswitch for a single LNB sounds right. After all, wouldn't DirecTV know their own installation?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
nickandmarilyn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5229
Thanks. It is a D-22 and has two cable inputs in the back. My dish is round 18 inch with two cable outlets, so I going to try to run a second wire and see if that works rather than messing around with a single wire multiswitch.
nickandmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Nick,
Referencing d-22 does not render any good information. TGhat is what the Model # is on the back of the receiver?

Having two wires does not mean it is a dual LNB. The second line is for a second receiver. However, if the receiver you have has two antenna input, then it is a dual tuner. With a dual tuner you can run the second line to the second Sat input. That should alleviate the necessity of a multi-switch. However, running two lines seems like a more difficult approach than a multi-switch at the back of the receiver.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote