Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
lap top

Hello I have a new lap top I would like to use it as a gps there is a product you can purchase, to plug in to lap top so you can run map source what is it called

bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have the Delorme Street Atlas 2007 and its Earthmate GPS LT-20 which is USB tethered to the computer. It costs about $99.00 for the complete package. I have not used the GPS yet so I can not comment on its performance.
Cheers

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Bob,

We use Microsoft Streets & Trips 2006 W/GPS Receiver, Works pretty well all over the US & Canada. I don't know how we did with out it.
Great tool for traveling in unfamiliar areas.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:34 PM   #4
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
We have the Delorme also. We got ours on sale at Best Buy for $79. I would be surprised if they don't run it on sale before the end of the year. We have used ours for over a year and think it is great. My wife has become quite the navigator. Signals can be blocked in mountain areas and tunnels, but normally works great. It does drain the laptop battery quicker since the GPS unit is powered by the USB plug. We think it is a great product for the money.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
We have used Microsoft Streets and Trips w/ a GPS receiver for several years. My only complaint is the computer voice is not quite loud enough for me. I may add an amplified speaker to the laptop.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:32 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We use MS Streets & Trips. They all have their Pros and Cons, but really the maps all come from the same sources. S&T seems to have a bit better route planning capability. Since S&T is the only one I have used, I won't try to make comparisons, I know that there are others on the Forum who have tried different ones, perhaps they will comment. This is a well worn topic, you might try doing a search to see what comes up.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:58 AM   #7
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
I have used the Delorme for several years in my work travels and it is great. It has taken me through New york City, Miami, Detroit etc and also the open road very well. The yearly update is less than $50. Heard good about Streets and Trips also but swear by Delorme. As Mobrownies said, Best Buy is always running sales on it.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote