Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2006, 03:41 AM   #21
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

We recently started getting the same sewer gas odor you mention when dumping. Ours, however, is coming from the kitchen area. That's at the opposite end of the montana. But it is where drain and water pipes come out of the basement, headed for the sink. I suspect we have a small leak in the dump line in the belly and the odor is coming into the coach from the small space around the pipe where it enters the living area. Yours might be coming up from similar space around the washer drain or water pipes. Vicki says we also get that odor out of the washer/dryer closet, which is next to the water closet on ours and thus very close to the black tank.
Do any of you get this stinky odor at other times? Sometimes our bathroom sink smells so bad we gag (honest!!!).

larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:55 PM   #22
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
From what I have learned, there are two vent pipes in the 3400 (and maybe others) in the wall between the washer/dryer compartment and the stairs leading to the bedroom. One of these vent pipes is for use when you dump (I don't know about the other one, sorry). The pipe for dumping is the one closest to the rear of the coach.

Mine was not glued properly and so when I dumped, the smells would go up the vent pipe and then into the wall because the joint to the roof was not seated and glued. The smell came from the inside of the W/D closet since the smells went from inside the wall into the space behind the circuit breakers and then to the vent in the roof of the W/D closet.

I hope this helps.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:11 AM   #23
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
larryngail

Discussed here this summer, putting bleach down the kitchen or bath sink drains, believe it was said that some believed there was mold or something as equally evil growing in them. Get all hair and icky stuff out of the drain (I have used long sutures, they grab and are thin) and then put some bleach down there, let it sit a while. Some reported that really helped.

Good luck
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:28 AM   #24
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
The bleach did the trick on ours, no more bad smell as long as the sink is used on a regular basis. It's been sitting for about a month now though, and I made the mistake of turning on the water the other day, the smell just about made me puke. I put some bleach in a cup of water, poured it down the drain, and left it in the P trap.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:54 AM   #25
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Thanks, Everyone!

Will clean out the traps as best I can & do the bleach thing. I'll also check the vent pipe things and see what I can see (though I don't really know what I'm looking for or at anyways!! -- but I'm certainly willing to give it a look -- and try to understand.).

I AM learning. I found a cut-off pipe under the bathroom sink -- and also one under the drainboard. Will see what I can sniff-out.

Thanks again
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote