Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2005, 09:06 AM   #1
weinervill
Established Member

M.O.C. #4078
Outside RV Cleaners

I am rather new to the RV world and the cleaning of the front cap of my new mountaineer has been a challenge. My rv neighbour recommended I use what is called the "Waterless Wash" then went on to explain how great it was. It became very evident he was selling the stuff and was on a promotion tour. My question is, is it safe for fiberglass or gel coat finishes. Can anyone who is not in sales but has used the stuff let me know. I am not overly impressed with something that washes without the assistance of water.

weinervill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:10 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I just use good old fashion water and the bottle of wash n wax soap. If you use a soft brush or pad with lots of water I found the bugs come off easy. I also apply a good 2 layers of wax each year to the coach, this really helps keep the road grime off and allows for easy removal of bugs.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:42 PM   #3
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
I had a guy were I worked try and sell me that once. Like you said, I didn't understand without using water. Might be the greatest stuff made, but I passed.

As far as the rig, I use Mequires, but use your preference, to wash. The front cap, I wax before every trip. If we travel during the summer and it gets covered with alot of bugs, I have a bottle of Mequires Quick Detailer that I carry. Just get in back of truck, spray on, wipe off bugs. Between that and wax, bugs wash off easy. I guess it depends on how much time, and picky you are.

Another method I have saw, but never tried, is to take some windshield washer fluid, dilute in a spray bottle with water, and spray on the bugs. It worked quite well. Don't know how safe it is for fiberglass though. The guy I saw doing it, said he had done it for years with no problems.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:10 PM   #4
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Please look at this old post.
http://montanaadministrator.forumco....ms~+bounce.asp
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:19 PM   #5
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
I have to second the Bounce suggestion. Found that old post for the dryer sheets and tried it after our last trip out. Works great for the front with the bugs or other tough spots. I never would have imagined that fabric softner sheets would work that well. I might also add that it is a very cheap alternative. I even used an old one out of the dryer to satisfy my curiosity and it worked just as well.

I'm also a fan of Meguires. They make good detergent and wax.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:07 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Bounce also cleans the glass shower door. Wipe with a new wet sheet and then rinse and the water spots are gone!
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:21 PM   #7
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Probably what he was selling was "dry wash & guard" I use this stuff all the time.You spray it on,then wipe it off with a terry cloth towel.Then with another terry cloth towel you buff to a shine.Works wonderful.I have no access to water so this is how I wash my rig.By looking at my rig you would think I wash it every day.It keeps it that clean.Its expensive but a little goes a long way.I haven`t used water to wash my rig in 2 years.Other then the roof.A lot of people that have high end cars-corvetes.bmw`s what ever use this stuff religiously.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:41 AM   #8
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We also use dryer sheets to clean the front cap between trips. Works great. We use the ones out of the dryer.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:41 PM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Weinervill, We have a friend that sells the Waterless Wash. After seeing his 5th wheel and having so many places tell us we could not wash in the campground, we decided to try it. We love it. You can use it anywhere. Even on windows. We wash the truck with it too and then just wipe it off for the next 6 months. We think it is the greatest and we don't sell it or make any money on our endorsement.

I also bought their spray bottle of rug cleaner after seeing him spray it on their carpet when their dog got excited and dribbled all over. It cleaned it right up and left a pleasant odor.

Bill and Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:46 AM   #10
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
WOW, Bounce, cleans bugs off vehicles, repells mice, makes the RV smell nice, removes static cling and softens clothes. Who said the wheel is our greatest invention?
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:36 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Bounce also takes the water deposits off the shower door. Wipe with a wet one and then rinse. I just did our stick house shower door which is double size and it worked great.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:40 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also use dryer sheets on the front cap to remove the bugs. Wet the cap, use the dryer sheet, rinse it off. Be sure to use never used dryer sheets. The used ones (used in the dryer) don't seem to work nearly so well. I wash the rig with zip wax/wash but recently bought some Blue Coral wash/wax to try next time.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 03:08 PM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I do it the hard way too, good warm water, my wifes dishwater soap dawn, and do like in the Karatae Kid " wax on Wax off " tired just writing about it. going to bed by.

TT2
Old 12-29-2005, 04:00 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, I don't use Dawn on the nose because it removes the wax, as does anything with a degreaser.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote