Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
derfr
Established Member

M.O.C. #4953
Road Grime

I will soon be moving south down I-15 to Yuma AZ going over high passes which WILL have snow and salt. I will be in only one campground for the duration of my stay. How do some of you get rid of this grime when you get to your destination? Do you go to a car/truck wash before going to the campground? What if you arrive in the city too late to do this? Can you wash at the campground? (Many/most do not allow vehicle/rig washing on sites.) Do you set up temporarily for the night then go out the next day to get a wash? Or do you just sit around for months with a dirty rig?

derfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:00 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would stay in a Wal*Mart parking lot if it was too late to wash the rig when I got there. Go to the self carwash and give the coach a good bath before you head to the campground. I would also try and call the campground you are heading to and find out if they have a rv/truck wash area or allow washing in your campsite. This should help you make better plans for your arrival. If it were my rig I sure would not leave the salt and road grime on the rig all winter. Enjoy Yuma when you arrive.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:22 PM   #3
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
Most of the parks here in Yuma have people who come around and wash your trailer. The local "White Paper" whhich has all kinds of things for sale usually has advertisements for trailer washing. When you get here ask at your park, they usually know who the good ones are. Have a safe trip down, hope the passes are clear for you.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:01 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
SMC's idea is good. We have had ours washed many times by someone while parked. The manager at the campground had their cards. They also wax usually.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:57 AM   #5
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We also have had ours detailed on outside. They washed, rubber roof too, removed black streaks, and waxed it. Also buffed it. Looks like new. For $200 it is well worth it to us!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:57 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I, too was wondering about getting my rig washed. Two bad shoulders would make this difficult... and I'm not even going to tell you what Cheryl said when we were at a dealership looking at a 3400 and I pointed to the ladder suggesting that would be her job... . She doesn't cuss... doesn't need to. I got the message.

What's the going rate for a wash and wax (Green card, or not)?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:11 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dustytuu

We also have had ours detailed on outside. They washed, rubber roof too, removed black streaks, and waxed it. Also buffed it. Looks like new. For $200 it is well worth it to us!

Now that's what I like to hear.We are NOT getting the high gloss finish because I do not intend to clean the camper myself,,ever..other than perhaps power washing it down. Since the high gloss is 1850 MSVRP at 200.00 or so a crack for the above detailing once a year..Not ever having to detail the camper is a gift I give to myself.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:21 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
My next coach will have the hi-gloss for sure. It seems to me that I spend much more time and wax on my coach than the folks do in my campground who have the hi-gloss. I want to have that glossy shine on my coach so when I brought it home the first day I put 2 full layers of paste wax on it in the spring and then another 2 layers in the fall. Now twice a year it gets another layer, plus I use the Aerospace 303 on all my decals to keep them from fading and cracking from the extreme sun and heat we can get up this way. Hopefully someone with the hi-gloss will respond and let me (us) know their methods to keeping their rig clean and polished.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:24 AM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Wouldn't be without the hi-gloss! Don't care who washes or waxes it; It looks very nice and tends to shed the dirt and grime. We were lucky since the coating was already on the rig we bought. If we'd ordered the rig I'm not certain we would have gotten it. Back then there was no MOC so we were just lucky!

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you get and you SHOULD get what makes you happy. Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:17 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Wouldn't be without the hi-gloss! Don't care who washes or waxes it; It looks very nice and tends to shed the dirt and grime. We were lucky since the coating was already on the rig we bought. If we'd ordered the rig I'm not certain we would have gotten it. Back then there was no MOC so we were just lucky!

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you get and you SHOULD get what makes you happy. Good luck.

HamRad
I am just not sure. I like my rig to look clean, but my current concern is weight. I think someone said an extra ~600#? This will be a FT rig - more weight being carried than a weekend/2 week round tripper would be hauling for sure.

I mean... Don't these 2006 Montanas look nice when they are cleaned - with or without Hi-Gloss? If I hired someone to clean my rig, they better know how to get it clean, no matter what the outside is made of... and it shouldn't cost any more. I do agree the Hi-Gloss does look nice... just trying to balance everything out in my mind.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:56 PM   #11
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
The current cost for a wash is $30. The guys who did ours did an OK job. I did end up doing a bit of wiping and shining, but better than doing the whole rig yourself.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:00 AM   #12
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I had our TV and TT washed at a Blue Beacon Truck Wash last spring - they did an ok job (don't remember how much). There's not one listed in Yuma but there are 4 in AZ on their website and they are open 24/7. There may be a different brand in Yuma or one on the way - to get the really yucky stuff off.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote