Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2005, 05:10 AM   #1
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
How does one get rid of wasps in pinbox alcove

Noticed a couple of critters flying into the area around the pinbox yesterday afternoon. Looking closer (but not too close - allergic to their stings) noticed that they were going up into the upper deck just where the bottom plastic cover comes around the pinbox. Any one know how to get them out / seal it so they don't come back?
Thanks in advance.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
We use a product called Home Defence by Ortho. It really seems miraculous. Comes in a gallon sprayer that you put on once in the spring and it keeps everything away all summer. Doesn't smell much and is supposed to be safe to use indoors, so it can't be too toxic. We spray it on our porch and get no spider webs all summer!
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Thanks. Will check out post Exchange after work today and see if they still have any left - if not, wally world.

Sharp sunset on your bi-line. Where was that taken?

/s/ Ron
Old 08-22-2005, 03:18 PM   #4
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Thanks. The Outer Banks of North Carolina a day after a hurricane went through. We were staying at Camp Hatteras in Waves.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:46 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think we need to try the Home Defense, also. We've never had mud daubers get in there that we know of. But when in Goshen at the service center we saw another rig with the nose cap off. The tech showed me how mud daubers had nested in the insulation. It was a mess and it appeared it could affect the insulating ability. They were replacing all that insulation. Ours didn't have any sign of mud daubers so didn't get new insulation.

Someone mentioned awhile back they'd put some kind of screen over the opening. I probably should try to find that thread and the pictures I think were there, also.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:45 PM   #6
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
An old roofers trick to get rid of bees wasps and hornets: Mix a STRONG solution of ammonia and water. Use pump sprayer or spray bottle to apply to the nest and the entry point. It worked for us.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:46 AM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I've heard liquid dishwasher solution works well. I just get the cheapest can of stuff that shoots the farthest and let 'em have it !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:51 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
VanMan, I hear you on the one that shoots the farthest. When we used to get the nests in the eaves by the door to our stick home I was a shoot and run kind of guy. Duck into the garage and into the house before they could catch up with me. I put mud daubers / wasps right up there with snake at the top of my "don't like" list.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:59 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
One of the fun stories that we tell at family get togethers and we have pictures. We had a huge wasp nest right by our front door. Our youngest daughter who was about 15 at the time decided she could take care of it. We had the spray. She put on almost all the clothes she had, long sleeves, gloves, helmet, ski mask, goggles, etc. What a sight. She went out and got them though and they never came back.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 04:58 AM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Just an update. Never saw a nest or anything like that, would just see the things fly up to the pin box and then 'walk right in' under the overhang. Have two fairly large (1X2 inch) squares where the pin box goes up into the overhang. Anyway, bought some of that wasp/yellow jacket spray and sprayed both holes on two consecutive days -- stuff comes out of the arosol can like that expanding foam (or shaving cream may be a better analogy). Regardless, haven't seen them going in or out during the weekend. Hope I got them -- I can not afford to get stung by them critters. Thanks to all who offered suggestions.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:51 AM   #11
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by skypilot

Noticed a couple of critters flying into the area around the pinbox yesterday afternoon. Looking closer (but not too close - allergic to their stings) noticed that they were going up into the upper deck just where the bottom plastic cover comes around the pinbox. Any one know how to get them out / seal it so they don't come back?
Thanks in advance.
I had posted earlier the question of how to get rid of wasps from the AC unit. After checking around I found that the Ortho Pro Select Hornet & Wasp Killer does the trick. It shoots a directed spray about 15' and leaves a foam where it hits. I had one on oneside as big as a basketball and one the size of a grapefruit on the other. One good shot to both did the trick. I had to undo the AC cover to clean the nests out and have since purchased a AC cover that wraps tight under the unit not leaving it open to other critters.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote