Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Notebook or Desktop pc

We was wondering what most of you are using for the camper, and how do you get support to the INTERNET. Please help, with any info.

Old 10-22-2005, 11:46 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We each have a laptop. I've used my Verizon phone as a modem until I messed it up and now the 'puter won't recognize the phone. Help! Wireless via the campground is best and is what I'm using now. $25.00 for a week's connection. Maybe we'll have Direcway someday.... We have a laptop because we almost always take it in the truck to use our Streets and Trips as a guide. And you never know when you'll come across an open connection.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 01:18 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Laptop here. Verizon AirCard is our primary Internet access unless Wi-Fi is available. The AirCard works over the same signal as the Verizon cell phone but at a much higher speed and it does not tie up the phone.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Laptop for GPS and short stays. Longer stays or trips - desktop. My desktop is a lot newer than the laptop and one of my goals for retirement is to put all of our old VCR's that were made from old 8mm film on DVD's. The oldest of these is of me at 1 year pulling a cat's tail! I plan on doing this when we are someplace for longer than a week. When I just have the laptop, I have a regular keyboard and mouse in the Monty to use. They are on the keyboard drawer we installed under the desk and they ride there. We use a variety of things for internet. DirecWay at home and it will go with us on long trips, WiFi when it is available and Verizon phone connection when nothing else is available.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:26 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Glenn
How much does the air card cost per month?
Happy trails........................
Old 10-23-2005, 03:32 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hi Sue and Ed,
We pay 49.95 for our Verizon air card. Now that we have DirecWay don't know how much longer we'll keep the card. It is nice to have when we have a good signal and don't want to set up the DirecWay.

Let me know if you are interested in this card. Perhaps we can work out a deal.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 03:39 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Dennis
Thanks. I'm going to try to see if WiFi and just the Verizon phone work for a while. When we start full timing, I'll have to do something more probably since I pay all our bills online. I know we will get better with DirecWay but right now I can't see setting it up for less than a month which we will probably do when we FT. And maybe by then Verizon will have something new or cheaper.
Happy trails......................