Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2005, 11:45 AM   #1
pilk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1633
Send a message via AIM to pilk
Roof stains

We have just returned from a week at an Ohio KOA where we had walnut trees overhead and now have bad stains on the roof. Spic & Span was recommended by another RVer, but does not do the job. We are hoping some of you have had this problem and can give us some ideas.

pilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 03:57 PM   #2
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Walnots are tuff stuff... I'd say Clorox cleanup, but I don't know wht that would do to the roof!!!
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 04:04 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Clean roof with Dawn, or stuff that the roof manufacuturers say is ok. I think 303 something or other is ok (Al is sleeping, so I cannot ask him the name of that stuff)

Only time any one is gonna see the stains is when YOU are on the roof, or someone flies over you, or you are in a hilly campground and someone is parked up the hill from you.

As long as you have cleaned well a couple of times a year, I think I would find something else to worry about! No offense meant!

We worry more about ripping that rubber roof, Al and I would love to have another metal roof, you can all slay us now, we will duck while you fight it out, that is our feeling and our opinion and we are sticking to it! That ole metal roof did not tear if a limb scraped along it, and we still have to check the caulking around vents, A/C, etc. and redo every couple of years. Walking on the roof is nice tho. But, we never had to clean that ole metal roof 2 times a year. WE MISS IT!!!!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 07:09 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Go to your local rv shop and get the stuff used for cleaning your roof. That stuff will clean, protect and make your roof white again. It was around $7 for a container of it. Works great.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:37 AM   #5
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Don't know much about what walnut dye does to rubber roof material. But DO know that the pioneers used it as a permanent dye in the good ol' (NOT!) days. It will eventually wash off skin that is inadvertantly dyed by it. Perhaps the same will happen with the roof. Suggest that you use Dawn and then whatever of the suggested options you are comfortable with. Then suggest that you not worry about it unless you see that there is a change in the actual texture of the roof. If it makes you more comfortable--call the manufacturer. As long as they say there is no compromise to the roof function or lifespan, I agree w/ CountryGuy--you are the only ones who will see it. Good luck--please report back as it is inevitable that someone else on MOC will face the same problem.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:04 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ouch. Walnut stains are nasty! Our roof is covered with stains from leaves that came down in the fall, got wet, got snowed on, etc. We actually could see the outlines of the leaves for awhile. I finally gave up trying to get it white again. Not often will anyone else see it. And if they don't like it, they're welcome to do a little scrubbing up there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:44 PM   #7
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Steve, That is a healthy attitude or at least an appropriate one if any of us become overly zealous about whiter roofs!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:39 AM   #8
pilk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1633
Send a message via AIM to pilk
Just a little footnote - our main concern about the stains was not an over-zealous need for something to do, but hopefully a preventitive measure so that we aren't looking at cleaning stains bleeding from the roof down the sides of the RV. We appreciate all who have added their comments - we va;ue your thoughts and ideas.
pilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:58 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ah Bob, we can all relate to stains on the sides. Not sure about others, but, we have yet to find a solution for that, other than clean the sides as we see the lines appear. That said, we have some that we cannot get off, must be pretty near permanent. We clean Montana the best we can with the time and energy we have, and then block it from our active memories (not so hard the older we get, a lot of stuff gets blocked from the active memories! HAHA)
Old 08-23-2005, 04:19 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Bob and Connie, Just to agree with those who have suggested that it may be impossible to get rid of all the stains on the roof, and that it may not be necessary to even worry about that.

The 'streaks' down the sides are not usually from stains, but from the oxidation of the roof material itself. As I have said several times on this forum, I clean the roof with the Thedford Rubber Roof Conditioner and have never had streaks {even though I do have some stains}. Of course, it helps that I am able to store our Montana under roof here at home.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:01 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dave, I wonder if other stuff on Montana oxidizes?? We have a streak on both sides of several windows, vent covers, etc. They do not appear to start at the roof line, but, rather at the bottom portion of the window or vent cover (water heaters, etc., etc., etc.) Sure we have the ones from the roof (like at the scare lights), but these others???? Any ideas anyone???
Old 08-23-2005, 05:52 AM   #12
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Have to agree with Carol and others ... Don't worry, be happy

Who's going to know if it's stained, unless some nut-case decides to climb up on a roof to take group photos at a rally ... boy, could I tell you some "dirty" roof stories!!!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:58 AM   #13
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
My hunch, Carol, is that these "other" streaks originate from the rubber fittings around the windows, etc. These usually come off more easily than 'odidation streaks' when I wash. Once again, we are fortunate to have storage under roof here at home, but I'm pleased that our over three year old Montana remains streak free.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:15 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Thanks Dave,

They come off, mostly, but, ya know the next rain, they come right back! (SIGH)

Oh, well, if I look the other way, I'll forget em in about 2 minutes! HA HA HA

I don't know if this means anything, but our prior unit, (Metal roof) we had bad streaks, off the windows, everywhere, bothered Al. But, after about 10 years of ownership, we started to notice it did not streak any more, we only washed with car wash and wax stuff, and only a couple of times a year. But, the streaks were no more. Maybe everything oxidized or whatever as much as it was gonna and no more streaks! This was not a solid sided TT, rather the old fashioned siding. Heavens, sitting here thinking about it, I now remember that it even had black streaks that would come mid ship, in the middle of no where, only a siding run, and there was a streak. AHHHHHHHHHHH good ole memories! HA HA
Old 08-23-2005, 07:40 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, I bet that midships streak is from the same source as ours -- the joint between two pieces of the drip railing. I did a little caulking on the outside of ours and eliminated that streak.

I agree with Padre about the oxidation but wonder if maybe some of the streaks are from plain old dust that gets on the roof in dusty areas and then washes over the side in rain and even heavy dew? We also get streaks from the corners of the dryer vents. No rubber there and it was installed by the dealer, not by Keystone. That may be the caulking but that vent frame seems to catch dirt easily so maybe it's just dirt. I don't really know.

Pilk, I hope we didn't get too carried away and scare you off.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:42 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
JD, in my opinion there's nothing wrong with trying to keep the roof white, trying to remove stains. But when the roof gets to the point that it's next to impossible to maintain that pretty white appearance, then a guy has to make some decisions. Mine was to quit worrying about it and use that time to enjoy life. I still get up there occasionally and wash off the new dirt. I just gave up on removing those stains. They're just beyond my ability to remove them and beyond my willingness to try any more.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #17
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Bob, I hope you did not take my comment as pointed at you. I was just having some fun with Steve at my own expense. Marsha painted a vivid picture of my getting carried away with things on the Montana when the four of us met in April!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:56 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob & Connie, I think what we're trying to say (at least I am) is that once stained it's darn tough to get it white again. If you find something that works, please let us know. If I found something that didn't require hours and hours and hours of scrubbing I might be willing to give it a try. The only foolproof method I know of is to trade for a newer Montana but even that is a temporary fix to the stained roof problem.