Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2014, 02:16 AM   #1
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Solution to a very slow leak

Every since I got my Monty in December, I've noticed that one of the tires' pressure was lower than the others, but it takes a few weeks to notice any change. So I'd top it off to match the others that don't change except with temperature and hit the road. I talked to Jay Bird about this and he had the solution from his experiences. My valve stem core was 3/4 turn loose. Since it will take a few weeks to confirm, I can't say it's problem solved yet, but I'm betting it's solved.

jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:52 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sounds like you hit on the answer.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:06 AM   #3
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
I've had that before. If not, then you will have to remove the tire and cover it in soapy water.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:31 AM   #4
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scott-pati

I've had that before. If not, then you will have to remove the tire and cover it in soapy water.
If you have to remove one tire for testing, how do you jack it? I'm guessing you put the jack between the u-bolts of the axle for the tire you want to remove? I watched a mobile tech jack a wheel off the ground this way to test the electric break connection after changing the trailer umbilical cord.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:34 AM   #5
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
As part of our pre-trip routine I check the valve core before I put on our TST sensors.
Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:50 AM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jim-- It is not recommended to jack the Monte using the axles at all. They will bend or you could take the camber out of the axle by doing this. The best way is to jack the unit using the frame as you jacking point either ahead of or behind the wheels. You may have to block up the jack to do this and also use jack supports to support the unit but it is the safest way to do it and remove the tire.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:52 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
jfaberna, I used to use that method but I believe one should jack from the frame not the axles on these heavy rigs. I actually carry wood blocks to stack under the hydraulic jack I carry in order to support this height. At home I have double the set so I can jack a whole side up at the frame. After reading that one should not jack from the axle, or under the U-bolt this is what I do now. Long ago, I had defective Mission tires replaced with Marathons (I didn't know about their bad history with Montanas back then) and had this done at a campground (the local Big O Tire store nearby offered this service). The tires were replaced while we were out and about so I don't know how they changed them out, but they probably jacked at the axle. We left in the morning and later when we returned to the rig, they were all done, including the spare. No more Missions for me, and these Marathons are now about to get replaced after lasting for 6 years.

Regarding slow leaks, there have been prior posts here about loose or defective valve stems. I'm guessing this was your problem, too.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:40 AM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Go to this web page
http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-service
at about 5 min 30 into the lug nut torque video you will notice that Keystone has placed a jack under the axle to remove a tire.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, it's done all the time, and even I've done it in a pinch, but it's documented in some places it's incorrect and therefore I now do this. The main purpose of mentioning this is only for awareness. Being aware of this and still jacking from the axle is then a choice versus being the only option one selects because it seems like the only option. I now jack from the frame since I've had my rig for a while and figure it can prevent any problems at the axle that would warrant this statement. 'Tween you and me, if there's truly only 3,000 or 3,500 lbs at each wheel, this really shouldn't be enough to cause damage,

I believe the statement is in my rig's owner's manual, but who reads that. And who's gonna want to look it up, if even Keystone does not follow it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
All I can say if I needed to jack the trailer up if I had a flat I am going to jack it up a the ubolts. As your trailer sits now the whole weight of the unit is sitting on 4 plates that are about 4"x6" which are the where the ubolts connect through along with the landing gear. And if you think about the stress put on these plates when you are going down the road pounding the rat crap out of then at 60 mph I will be lifting them at the ubolts. I would use a softener like a piece of plywood to distribute the weight over a little larger area. I agree that you could do a lot of damage if you would try this on an other part of the axel especially toward the center of the axel..
Old 03-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jfaberna

Every since I got my Monty in December, I've noticed that one of the tires' pressure was lower than the others, but it takes a few weeks to notice any change. So I'd top it off to match the others that don't change except with temperature and hit the road. I talked to Jay Bird about this and he had the solution from his experiences. My valve stem core was 3/4 turn loose. Since it will take a few weeks to confirm, I can't say it's problem solved yet, but I'm betting it's solved.
Lets hope that solves the problem however note that we had the same problem on our shinny new 13 3402 and the problem turned out to be two improperly installed valve stems. I could wiggle the stems and hear air escaping.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:51 AM   #12
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Drifty1

All I can say if I needed to jack the trailer up if I had a flat I am going to jack it up a the ubolts. As your trailer sits now the whole weight of the unit is sitting on 4 plates that are about 4"x6" which are the where the ubolts connect through along with the landing gear. And if you think about the stress put on these plates when you are going down the road pounding the rat crap out of then at 60 mph I will be lifting them at the ubolts. I would use a softener like a piece of plywood to distribute the weight over a little larger area. I agree that you could do a lot of damage if you would try this on an other part of the axel especially toward the center of the axel..
I am with you, have done it the way you describe on every trailer I have owned for years, and will continue to do it. I have done it to change tires, pack wheel bearings etc. I have no doubt jacking it up on the axle tube itself is going to bend something, but to do it as you described is harmless IMO .

It would be great if someone here on the forum could explain the reason or the harm for not jacking it up as described above.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:08 AM   #13
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Having a six point leveling system on the Montana, couldn't you just raise the rig by using the levelers?

Wayne
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #14
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
That's what I was wondering, I have a 2012 3402rl with 6 point auto level and have to lube the bearings etc.. and I just raise up one side It's Awesome!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:02 AM   #15
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Don't tell the lawyers, but I've used the levelers numerous times with no problem. I would not recommend crawling under the rig when it is up on the levelers, just in case, but don't think you will have a problem. You will have less chance of doing damage to the axles than using a jack under the axle.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #16
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Sounds like you hit on the answer.
The loose valve stem core was the problem. I was down working on the Monty today and turned on the TPMS and all the tires were exactly where I left them. ~110 lbs. It's been 4 months and no issues.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #17
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's a simple fix, but a common problem.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #18
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
The owner's manual says to jack from the frame. NOT AXLES!
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote