Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2008, 02:14 AM   #1
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Local programing question

I been seeing a lot of questions about receiving local programing when leaving your home area.I'm not clear on what local programs means.Is this getting the channels you would receive in your home area when not in your area,like the news from your home town?

garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:30 AM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
That is the programing that is local to the area you are in excluding the cable and satellite channels. The same programing you would get from your roof antenna.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Actually when referring to "local programing" with a satellite we are actually referring to the networks such as ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX and not necessarily the same local broadcasts you receive at home. Local programing allows you to pick up the local stations along with the networks in the area you are camping in. In my case, in order for me to get these LOCAL channels in Penna it only takes a phone call to DirectTV and have my Florida zip code changed to the local Reading, Penna. zip code. Once that change is made I will than pick up local Reading PA channels.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
garyka,
If we are talking about satellite reception and not over the air antenna reception for locals,here is a DTV spot beam map dated 06.

http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/dtv.html

There have been more spot beam areas/locals added since 06. This map will give you an idea of how it works. Lets say you live in the Denver area. As you can see it is a large coverage area. If you live in that area you probably get the Denver stations for your ABC,NBC,CBS,Fox,PBS and perhaps other channels thrown in. Lets say you travel out of that Denver spot beam foot print you will not be able to receive those channels from Denver or any of the other spot beams unless you call DTV and give a different address in one of those other spot beam foot print areas. This does not affect your billing address. You want to keep your billing address in most cases.

Others can probably give you more information about East and West Coast stations for your locals when full timing. Things seem to change all the time and sometimes a different story surfaces depending on who you talk to when you call DTV or Dish Network. JB

Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote