Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2008, 06:51 AM   #21
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
I had a heck of time finding Calgon. I looked and looked and looked and finally gave up. Got the urge to try the Geo method again and started looking in the same stores again, including Wally World. Tried the local supermarkets (Publix, Harris Teeter, Food Lion, and Winn Dixi) searched the K-Mart and Wal-Mart here on the Island...all no go. Stopped at the Super Wal-Mart in Yulee couldn't find it. An employee saw me looking for something and ask if she could help. It was across the isle in a small colorful bottle. Went back to all the other stores and discovered they stocked it too. I was just looking in the wrong place.

Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:54 AM   #22
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
So Joe, tell me where in Wally World you finally found it???? Thanks!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:11 AM   #23
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Across the isle from the detergents. This is what the bottle looks like: http://www.homesolutionsnews.us/calgon/ IF you can't find it ask an employee if they stock or can order it.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:22 AM   #24
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ditto, always found in the laundry aisle. As in the stuff we use to wash the clothes!

More Water, Less Paper, plus a little Calgon!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #25
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Look for it next to or neat the Oxyclean shelf...that is where it was this afternoon.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:59 AM   #26
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We do not use any harsh chemicals. Only use Calgon, liquid detergent and a little bleach mixed with water. We use 2 ply tissue and it all goes down into the tank. Also we use lots of water when flushing. Don't empty the black tank every day. Wait until it gets more in there.
Have not had a problem with all 4 fifth wheels we have owned.
We use the store brand liquid detergent, laundry or liquid dish soap.
Also we use the store brand 2 ply tissue. There are some heavy tissues that we don't buy for the trailer. Such as Cottonelle.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #27
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Calgon is hard to find.

Powdered Dishwasher soap works just fine. I used to remove labels on beer bottles when I was home brewing beer. A little dishwasher soap in water...and the next morning the labels would slide off.

This dishwasher soap works great in the black tank and is cheaper than calgon. Driving down the road with about 5 gallons of water and a cup of the dishwasher soap will make it real slippery inside the black tank.

BTW, we have never had a problem with any buildup. We use Scotts septic-safe TP, and Pinesol while parked.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I use chemicals in hot weather to hold down the odor.

Also, Keystone's service department told me (even wrote on the service order) to add a little Pine Sol to make the floor and walls slick so "things" just slide right out. I use walmart's store brand equivalent. It costs about a buck for a big bottle. I use 3 or 4 ounces in the tank.

The chemicals I use are those drop in bags you can buy at CW or at Walmart. The blue ones. If you need the name let me know and I'll get up and look.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:30 AM   #29
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
We found Calgon at a Dollar Store and use it all the time. When the weather is warm, I also like to use Happy Camper to help control odor.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote