Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2007, 03:25 AM   #1
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Sloppy electrical work

Ok Keystone, your quality control is not doing a very good job especially on electrical things. Read the posts here and think of the things that don't get written as well, I had a problem with a wall switch and when I took the switch off the wall to see why I was hearing a sizzling sound and smelling hot electricity the wires just about fell out of the switch. Not good, either get better switches, better electricians, or both. This is a dangerous problem!! and your reputation is on the line. I love this Montana but things like this cause me concern because my wife and child also sleep in this unit when we are Camping and I would rather not lose them to sloppy work at your factory. This unit is just 15 months old and has not been used that much, your telephone answerers are not very sympathetic either.

Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
That's an electical problem...here's a serious electrical problem...that could have caused the entire rig to burn to the ground. Our neutral wire came off the inside of the 50 amp plug that goes into the trailer...seems that wire was not secured at the factory. Burned a hole through the connector. The voltage on one line went up an extra 60 to 70 volts and the other line went down 60 to 70 volts. We were inside when it happened, the first symptom was the front TV started to smoke, and it was off. The RV repairman got a new plug and got us repaired. So far everything seems to be okay except for the TV, it was fried. I got the power off quickly.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:25 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Remember our "meltdown" last year. electrical line rubbed against the frame in the under belly (poor routing and securing of wiring and cables)
it shorted on the frame and there was a hydraulic line running on top of the shorted line which burnt through the hydraulic line. Hydraulic fluid has a low flash point..result much smoke resulting in fire.. Since I was standing outside the camper as we were setting up in quartzsite our quick action prevented a serious fire and loss of the camper.The camper was 6 months old at the time and it was the first long trip.yes Keystone acted with great speed to repair the damage. Thinking back we should have taken Keystone to court..some of their workmanship borders on, if not, gross negligence. The underbelly should be dropped and inspected..most of us are driving down the road with a time bomb waiting to go off under there. As with most every other industry it will take a serious disaster with loss of life to cause change in the RV industry..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:44 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The wiring and hydraulic lines are routed the easiest & fastest way they can. I pulled my bottom covering the first week I owned my Montana, to run all my lines and add the many upgrades. I was amazed how bad it was. I used wire ties, insulators for the hydraulic lines and put it the way it should be. I may have had the same problem as Rich if I hadn't. Pretty sad the way they do it under there. All my neutral wires were loose on the breaker panel, many of the line voltage power wires from the breakers were loose.
Just quality control issues they did not double check.
I love our Montana and am very proud of it, the factory just needs to step up and do a better job. Maybe now they are, don't know.
It looks like we all have the 2007 3400RL with wiring issues, so Keystone, who was the crack head that did the work on our units...HuH? Fire 'em!
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:13 AM   #5
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Ozz, I think they did, unfortunately Coachmen hired him and he built my trailer. No laughter please. So far, nothing major but a miriad of little things (like the phone line stuffed up the inside of the back wall and tied in a knot so it wouldn't fall out)that make you wonder what they were smoking that day. Bob

Why do we buy technology made by people that won't use it at home and have little working knowledge of it? (Old world craftsmen)
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:55 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:12 AM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks Carol.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Well said Carol!

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:58 PM   #10
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
There comes a time when companies need to come out of the old times and move into the modern world. It is nice to say that old world craftsmanship is use in the wood work but what about the electrical, hydraulic, and cable systems. It does not strike me as a good thing to have old world craftsman working on these systems (and it shows), or is Montana using system designers and electrical people off the streets. Why are others making units more user friendly with components where you need them (outlets, switches, and TV/entertainment system wiring). Overall we choose the Montana after 2 years of research because we felt it was the best unit on the market that fit in the tow weight, price, and livability that we wanted, this is still true, but we did this with the trade off of other convinces.

Other units we looked at with Old World Craftsmanship were not any better built than the Montana. The were pretty but under the surface they were no better constructed than the Montana, and many, even at higher prices were worse.

We are still happy with our Montana, but we went into it with our eyes open and knew that we were going to have to fix somethings once we got it. I also feel that we are lucky with the few minor problems we have had over the last year. But I still feel that the main complaint, as stated on this forum many times, is that the RV industry in general needs improvement in their Quality Control.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:35 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
To go along with what Carol said...There are many different sects of Amish" with differeing rules and customs. There many Mennonites working there who are "Amish" by definition but use modern conveniences and dress sort of the same. There are many hispanics and just good ole boys as well. Those of us who have been to the area and toured the different plants understand that it is the same workforce at all of them. I too grew up in "Amish country " and still live near Amish country. The term "old world crafstman " does still apply, They are excellent and skilled. workers and turn out some beautiful work. No person, Amish or otherwise can apply whatever skillss they have in the assembly line enviroment in these plants. IMO it is NOT the fault of the Amish or any of the workman that the work is sub standard.The organization sets the work rules and standards, we work within those standards. The majority of us have worked within one organization or another and within the rules and standards set.Some organizations set their standards high, some don't.The workman works within those standards.There are a few of here who have worked with quality control and understand that the RV industry is among, if not, the very worst. Right Dean???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:41 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Another take on

Old World Craftsmanship

HELLO WORLD, ever hear of advertising??

If you were brand new to the RV world, and picked up a brochure with the words Old World Craftmanship all over the pretty slick, shiny brochure, wouldn't that just make ya feel warm and fuzzy all over and influence your subconsious, just maybe a little bit. Make ya wanna run right out and buy that RV right now!

HMMMMM???????

Fact is, that verbage has nothing at all to do with our RV's, how they are made, or by whom! It is PR folks!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote