Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
warsw
Established Member

M.O.C. #13256
What address to use?

We now have the house on the market so things are getting closer to going full time. I know I will have a thousand questions as the time gets closer but for now a couple of questions my wife and I have are:

1. For those that have sold their home what are you using for your home address for things like drivers lic etc?
2. How are you handling your mail.

I have so much to learn and so little time LOL. Thanks for any help.

warsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I have used American Home Base in Pensacola for 20 years. Works for me

http://amhomebase.com/
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:19 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We have used Americas Mailbox in South Dakota for the last 5 years. This is our domicile address as well as who we use to handle our mail.
http://www.americas-mailbox.com/
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:00 PM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
pick a state that has life costs that work for you...in other words, costs around vehicle registration, cost of insurance, health care costs, ease of working with. As said above, the mail forwarding service serves as your record as a home address. Florida drivers license good for ten years, health care costs for wife was higher than what we had prior to going full time. We didn't look at other options, but should have so we don't know if south dakota, texas, or other rv friendly states would have been a better choice.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We've been with the GoodSam/PassPort America mail forwarding service in Crestview, Florida for the past few years. Everything goes through them. Pay as much as we can on-line.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
We use a UPS Store Mail Box for our address. It is a real sticks & bricks address and not a P.O. Box address. They will also forward our mail anywhere we are for a small fee.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Dakota post, previously alternative resources.
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We use the Escapee's mail forwarding service, belong to the club and use their parks frequently as well as owning a lease in an Escapee park in Lakewood, NM that we use for a home base we we explore the west.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:45 AM   #9
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
We did our mail and home address a little differently. For health insurance and tax filing reasons it was better for us to keep residency in Illinois after selling house and going full time. Instead of paying for a mail forwarding or mail service we changed our address to our oldest son's home. We stamped and left large mailing envelopes with him and every couple of weeks he would mail anything important that came in to whatever address we told him to.

If you get everything paperless you will be surprised at how much of your mail will actually be just "junk" and can be thrown away. If we couldn't have used him and his address we probably would have done what PackerFan does. That option always seemed the like best one for showing a "real" address and being cost effective.

Good luck with the sale of your house. We enjoyed our full time traveling very much!
JandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:56 AM   #10
Clays390
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17212
We joined the Escapees and established our domicile using the Sumter Oaks Park in Bushnell FL for our registrations, drivers licences, voter registration etc. All our mail goes through the Escapees mail forwarding service in Livingston TX. I am retired military so Doctors/medical can be anywhere we happen to be. This has worked well for us.
Clays390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:15 AM   #11
warsw
Established Member

M.O.C. #13256
This is great info. Thanks. It sounds like there are several ways to do this. We are going to start checking into some of them come Monday. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
warsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #12
milsutter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17499
Send a message via AIM to milsutter Send a message via MSN to milsutter Send a message via Yahoo to milsutter
Fr insurance reasons we had to have an address in CA., so use our daughter's address, and she forwards mail periodically to us. So far we have made it back to CA for dr appts at least once a year. Have had only 1 medical emergency on the road and Medicare covered most of it, and we covered the rest.
milsutter is offline   Reply With Quote