Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
Jo_Hine
Established Member

M.O.C. #10609
Wilson antennas and direct connect amps

I have a Montana 3455SA.
I have a cradlepoint CTR500 router on my desk.
I have a Verizon USB760 attached to the router.
I have a new desktop PC on the desk and it's wired directly to the router via the ethernet port.
I have a new laptop that usually gets used on the dining room table that gets its wireless signal from the router.

The router usually shows 3 out of 4 bars but sometimes drops to 2, or even down to 1 for no apparant reason. Maybe it's the barometric pressure. This is while we're sitting in one spot in a campground and sometimes, while travelling on the road, the signal from the aircard just dissapears. That's usually in desolate or very rural areas so I can understand that loss.

Anyway, even under the best circumstances, I seem to be getting weak signals, particularly on the laptop, that seem to be restricting my download/upload speeds. In recent tests, I've been getting 0.54 Mb/s download and 0.18 Mb/s upload with a ping of 370 ms.

Anyway, whether this is average or awful, I'm interested in boosting signal strength and have been looking at systems from 3Gstore.com and WPSantennas.com.

Considering the configuration of the Montana 3455SA, an antenna cable passed through the kitchen slideout flanges seems to fit the bill but then I run into technical geekery problems. I like the idea of the 3Gstore Shorty RV Through-Roof Antenna since I'd greatly reduce wiring and it would be permanent. My concern, of course, would be possible leakage but I know I could seal it adequatly with the right compound. I also like the 3Gstore Omni External Antenna but am at a little loss as to where I could mount it on or near the slide. Suggestions and opinions welcome.

I also hear a lot about attaching an antenna to the rear ladder but would have to get an extension cable to do that and, how do I run and attach that cable from the kitchen slide to the rear of the RV?

Another option would be a magnetic mount but that would involve gluing a metal sheet somewhere on the RV.

Finally, I've heard great things about an in-line Direct Connect 3 Watt Amplifier. However, at anywhere from $230-$280 it seems a bit pricey and was wondering if it actually enhanced the signal dramatically from just using an external antenna.

Remember, I'm trying to find solutions for my particular model of Montana but, any input from Montana owners in general is sure to be helpful.

Paul

Jo_Hine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
if you want a 'cleaner' installation and have electric power at rear of RV where the ladder is, i'd get the RV spring-base omni antenna and mount it on ladder.

to make it a clean install, i'd remove one of the ladder 'stays' (horizontal bar that holds ladder off the back of RV) and drill a hole such that the stay covers the hole. then i'd drill a hole into bottom of the stay and run antenna cable through the stay, into the back of RV, ultimately attaching to the rf/antenna jack on your USB760. the advantage of doing this is if you decide to remove the antenna to sell the RV, there won't be a visible hole in rear of RV. you can try antenna alone at first, and if you decide you want to add an amp, you'll just mount that inline, inside the rv, between antenna lead and adapter cable that makes connection to USB760.

operating the CTR500 from back of RV will still give you more than enough WiFi range... the only other issue you might have is adding WiFi to the desktop if it doesn't already have it.

-- alex
Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Paul,
I have the USB 760 using the Verizon Network through Millenicom. I have the MBR900 that I use at home for three computers. I think the MBR1000 would be a better choice from what I read.
The antenna I use is the 32" Truckers antenna connected to the USB760 plugged into the Cradlepoint router here at home for a couple of computers. I use the hard wired route also for each computer. Sometimes I use the wireless just to see how it works.
When traveling I plug the USB 760 directly into the laptop with a 32" Wilson Trucker Antenna mounted to the side of the slide top flange with the cable through the slide sidewall into a cabinet over the computer desk. I was using the 21" Trucker antenna with great success. I have gone to the 32" for more side wall clearance.
Just using the Wilson Trucker antenna does help with bars and speed. Of course it all depends on the towers,tower loading, and where you are. The antenna does make a difference when used. I have not needed an Amp as of now. I think an Amp would help here at home where I have a weaker signal. But, I am ok with just the antenna. On the road with the 21" Trucker antenna I have run into areas with really quick speeds and other areas I thought were average.
I guess I would try the Wilson Trucker antenna with the most gain and the one you can mount where you feel the most comfortable with. You may be happy with the results of just using only an antenna.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Paul,
I have a mirror clamp bracket that I clamp to the slide topper bar.

Alex is the man to give you great advice.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
Jo_Hine
Established Member

M.O.C. #10609
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Paul,
I have a mirror clamp bracket that I clamp to the slide topper bar.
I was wondering about that method too. Seems like that 135 degree side clamp would be a perfect place to put one. Any particular mirror clamp and, which antenna did you go for? Did you do anything special for holding the cable in place or just let it "go with the flow"?

Paul
Old 10-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I used this antenna.
The mounting bracket will work, I think.

This antenna has the coax out the "mast" so the bracket is just a mounting surface. It does not need coax connected to it's connector.

I used this style of mount. Mines is about six inches long

You mention the kitchen slide so I would just let the coax come in as you mentioned.

I have a 07 3295RK so I have a "data" port that I opened up so I just pass the coax through the wall at that hole.

I do have the external amplifier but have never used it.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have a Wilson external antenna and an amplifier. The external antenna makes a world of difference. We have it mounted on a PVC pole (either gray electrical or white will work) and use a woodworking clamp on the edge of the slide, to hold it vertical. The cable is just stuck through the slide before it is fully opened. I use two pieces of PVC conduit, each about 7' in length. That puts the antenna up in the air above the RV with a clear shot at the signal. The Wilson folks caution about using a cable extension as the antenna is tuned for the supplied 15' (I think that is the standard length) cable. This solution isn't a permanent install, we use it only when the signal is less than optimum.

In an area where the signal is really pitiful (e.g. zero to one bars even with the external antenna), the amplifier really helps! Ours is wired into the aircard/external antenna configuration all the time so we never have to futz with it.

Try the external antenna first. I think you will be very happy. Alex is the guy who helped us and we have been very pleased.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
Jo_Hine
Established Member

M.O.C. #10609
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl
I do have the external amplifier but have never used it.
So, I can save myself $250 by not getting one! Great!

But, seriously, others have suggested that I try the antenna alone first, before investing in an amplifier. I think I'll go that route.

The suggestions for mounting the antenaa have been just GREAT! Thankyou!

Paul
Old 10-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
Jo_Hine
Established Member

M.O.C. #10609
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

I have a Wilson external antenna and an amplifier. The external antenna makes a world of difference. We have it mounted on a PVC pole (either gray electrical or white will work) and use a woodworking clamp on the edge of the slide, to hold it vertical. The cable is just stuck through the slide before it is fully opened. I use two pieces of PVC conduit, each about 7' in length. That puts the antenna up in the air above the RV with a clear shot at the signal.

That sounds like a really great idea but, I'd like to try something a little more permanent that I didn't have to futz with every time I pull in and set up, then break down and pull out. I think I like the idea of a 12-24 inch antenna permanantly attached to the slide topper bracket.

Paul
Old 10-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Paul,
My antenna is only attached at campsites where it is needed. I do not tow with the antenna attached. I feel the Radials are too weak to handle tree limbs/branches. I have already broken one of the little short ones.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I saw Carl's setup and immediately built the same thing. I can put one end of the pvc pipe on the ground and the antenna is 16 or 17 feet in the air. The two clamps hold it to the slide very securely.

Our router is on the desk. On the wall at the desk is the phone jack. I replaced the wall plates on both the inside and outside with the kind with a single round hole. I bought cheap plastic plugs to plug up those holes when not in use. When I use the Wilson antenna I remove the caps and run the antenna cable through that hole into the rig to the router. It's quick and easy. I even put a band of duct tape on the antenna cable to tell me where to stop feeding the cable into the rig.

I also put a twist tie on the cable (outside) at the low point to help rain run off the cable and not into the rig.

As with Carl's, I take apart the pvc and store it in the basement. The pvc has a bell housing on each end. I use two 7' pieces of pvc plus an elbow with the Wilson antenna permanently mounted to the elbow.

If you go with the pvc, I recommend the 1 inch pipe. I tried 3/4 inch but there was too much flex in the wind with 16 feet of pipe in the air. With the 1 inch it's not a problem.

It doesn't take long to set up and break down the antenna. My concern with a permanent mount is whether it's high enough to be effective.

I also don't want more height to worry about getting under tree branches, bridges, etc. We recently towed under a gas station canopy marked 13' 1". We have measured ours at 12' 10" but I still climbed the ladder to eyeball it and make sure we'd be ok before pulling on through. I could have backed out but it would have been a challenge. We've also twice knocked off vent caps (those little round ones) from low tree branches. We would have destroyed the antenna. But getting the antenna high enough is my biggest concern with the permanent mount.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Steve,
could you post pictures. please.