Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2009, 06:39 AM   #1
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
The MiFi is right for you... IF

Its been my job to spend the last few days with the MiFi to do a review for the company I work for, and since I spend a lot of time on RV forums I've prepared this post that specifically addresses the RVer who will very likely be wondering if the MiFi is for them.

There is a LOT of buzz about the "MiFi". Its being sold by Verizon right now, and will be sold by Sprint in June, and like to be sold by AT&T and possibly other carriers, down the road.

What is it? its a tiny battery-powered hotspot that allows customers to have as many as five computers (or other wifi-enabled devices) to access the internet using cellular mobile broadband.

Many of you already have something like an "aircard" or a "USB modem" that attaches to ONE computer and gives it internet access. The MiFi is like that, except its a wifi hotspot that easily allows multiple computers the same internet access, for the same monthly fee. Nothing like it has ever been sold by a cellular carrier before.

Many of you have also bought "cellular routers" like the popular models from Cradlepoint, that allow you to share your aircard or USB modem's connectivity with multiple computers. The MiFi accomplishes the same thing, but the modem is built into (embedded) the MiFi so there is nothing attached making it much more portable.

In my opinion, the combination of Cradlepoint router and separate USB modem or expresscard is the better solution because the MiFi:
  • has NO antenna jack to easily allow for high-antenna antennas and direct-connect amp;
  • would require a more expensive 'wireless amplifier' to improve cellular signal;
  • is tied to ONE carrier and cannot be used with multiple carriers like a cradlepoint router can;
  • can only tether via USB cable. it has NO ethernet port;
  • cannot tether to one computer and STILL be a WiFi hotspot;
  • to allow for longer battery life, it only has about 30ft of WiFi range.
  • must be replaced when 4G or other future technology is viable.
Having said all that, there is one group of RVers that I think are great candidates for the Mifi:
  • you already own a wireless signal amplifier
  • all the equipment you want to get online already has WiFi capability
  • you only need a hotspot for
  • use while traveling in an RV (not a home) OR
  • your need for a hotspot in a home doesn't require more than 30ft wifi range
  • you have NO need to tether a computer and still have a WiFi hotspot
  • one carrier at a time doesn't bother you
if you can answer Yes to the last seven points, you should be happy with a MiFi.

I hope that this post helps some RVers who are contemplating whether or not to get the MiFi.

Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Alex, I do have the Verizon USB 720 with a Cradlepoint router. My wife and I have 3 computers. Two of which are used daily. The 3rd is a back up and also holds some files.

The Mifi sounds interesting. One question though, How much.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and LorraineThe Mifi sounds interesting. One question though, How much.
(it's scary whenever i post pricing. hopefully, since you asked -- this will be OK)

with a new 2yr contract, verizon sells the MiFi for $150 before $50 mail in rebate.
company i work for sells it cheaper than that at $110 before rebate w/2yr contract

if you are at least 20mos into an existing 2yr contract, you should qualify for same pricing.

just remember, you will NOT be able to use the MiFi with your Cradlepoint.

what you already have is better than MiFi, just not as small/cute/sexy.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
When I was a lot younger "small/cute/sexy" meant much but not so much today.
I think I'll keep what I got And I'll also keep my USB and Cradlepoint.
Thanks Alex for your honesty.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:25 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Alex you did it again. Thanks so much for the information. I like the way you give us the info in terms that even I can understand.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:57 AM   #6
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thanks, Alex. Keep the good info flowing!
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
just an update on the MiFi and its usefulness.

Now that the Cradlepoint MBR1000 officially supports the MiFi, some of the shortcomings I pointed out in my original post can be resolved.

once tethered to an MBR1000, owners of a MiFi can now:

-- have more than 5 connected users sharing the MiFi's internet connection
-- have more than 30ft WiFi range (they would use the MBR1000's superior WiFi N)
-- connect computers that do not have WiFi, via ethernet cable to MBR1000

these points are less important to fulltime RVer's, and more important to those who use their mobile broadband both in an RV and at a stick built home.

the last remaining issue is also the one i still think makes the MiFi the wrong device for most RVers: unlike USB modems and aircards, the MiFi does not have an rf/antenna jack that would allow for high gain cellular antennas.

only way to resolve weak signal to a MiFi is via more expensive wireless signal amplifiers.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:41 AM   #8
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
As always, thanks for the good info Alex.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I wish you guys would stop posting in Greek. It's not fair to us "challenged" people.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Alex, we have the verizon v740 express card which mounts in our Top Global 3G Phoebus black pyramid router. We have two laptops connecting and have nothing added to the laptops. Just their builtin wireless feature. We also have the unlimited verizon service. If I understand what you are saying, we are better off staying with what we have, correct? Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:53 AM   #11
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Alex, we have the verizon v740 express card which mounts in our Top Global 3G Phoebus black pyramid router. We have two laptops connecting and have nothing added to the laptops. Just their builtin wireless feature. We also have the unlimited verizon service. If I understand what you are saying, we are better off staying with what we have, correct? Thanks.
steve, have you found yourselves "wanting" for anything different/more out of your system?

"if it ain't broke...."
Old 07-11-2009, 06:29 AM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Alex,

This just reminds us that you gave us great advice with the purchase of the Cradlepoint MBR 1000 router for our Verizon V740 express card, the Wilson 3-watt amplifier connected to the external antenna.

We love your ability to put technology in simple terms we can all understand, and the no pressure sales make us feel "taken care of". Service just doesn't get any better!

Thank you, once again.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EVDOalex

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

steve, have you found yourselves "wanting" for anything different/more out of your system?

"if it ain't broke...."
Nope. We're happy.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #14
busterwms
Established Member

M.O.C. #6931
We recently replaced our HuhgesNet equipment with the new Verizon MiFi (anybody want to buy a used HughesNet?). We bought a new laptop with a Verizon Wireless built in and found that we were using it nearly all the time rather than setting up our HughesNet. So when the the WiFi came along we jumped at it. Sorta wish we had read this post first; but so far we have been very happy with the MiFi. We use it at home and on the road. Verizon seems to be just about everywhere we go. Sometimes it is not a really great signal but we have been pretty happy with it. It is an alternative.
busterwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:28 AM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by busterwms

We recently replaced our HuhgesNet equipment with the new Verizon MiFi (anybody want to buy a used HughesNet?). We bought a new laptop with a Verizon Wireless built in and found that we were using it nearly all the time rather than setting up our HughesNet. So when the the WiFi came along we jumped at it. Sorta wish we had read this post first; but so far we have been very happy with the MiFi. We use it at home and on the road. Verizon seems to be just about everywhere we go. Sometimes it is not a really great signal but we have been pretty happy with it. It is an alternative.
When you find a buyer for your HughesNet, let me know, or see if they want two?
Old 09-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #16
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Is the HughesNet hard to set up? Is it really worth the time it takes. In Northern Mi. where we stay for the most part during summer months, cell coverage isn't that great, so I have to assume that internet signal wouldn't be good. I'm really confused as to which way to go here. Internet is a must as you all know. Will be full timing within the next 2 yrs and want to buy the right stuff, at the most affordable price.
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:01 AM   #17
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

Is the HughesNet hard to set up? Is it really worth the time it takes. In Northern Mi. where we stay for the most part during summer months, cell coverage isn't that great, so I have to assume that internet signal wouldn't be good. I'm really confused as to which way to go here. Internet is a must as you all know. Will be full timing within the next 2 yrs and want to buy the right stuff, at the most affordable price.
Champ_49,
We had the HughesNet. If you can get any signal with your cell phone, you will be happier with the aircard and a booster if needed. We have $1700 invested in the HughesNet equipment, and it is real cumbersome. The only advantage with HughesNet is that you can get satellite internet just about anywhere..but, then you can also get it about anywhere now with the new aircards....

We like the mobility of the aircard as opposed to the cumbersome dish setup......Save your space, frustration and your money!
Old 09-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #18
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
simonsrf

Thank you for the straight answer here. Just what I wanted to know and the honest opinion. Air card it will be. Thanks again.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #19
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I just put on what I thought was a new post regarding MiFi. We didn't have anything but the Air card. Don't know where my post is, but will let you know when we hit the road next month how we like it. Right now it can be used on both computers, one with built in wifi, one with a wifi card, and it is fast!
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:58 AM   #20
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
We decided to purchase the Verizon MIFI this week and will do away with the DSL since we are on the road so much.
So far, the MIFI has the same speed as the DSL, so far! Where ever we have a Verizon cell signal, we'll have the internet, even while traveling. We'll see how it works for us this winter in the south!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote