Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am learning more..............

..........about winter camping than I really wanted to know. The wind is howling at 35-45 mph and the temperature is to drop to the low 20's. Williamsburg, VA along with Jamestown and Yorktown are a nice places to visit with all their historical significance. But we are way too far north. By Tuesday and/or Wednesday it is to be snowing and freezing rain. I think we should leave,

I do have my heat taped water hose. Got 1-3/4 tanks of propane. Will chase all the water out of the sewer hose as soon as Dianna finishes washing clothes. I guess we are ready for the freeze.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Stiles,
You are supposed to plan those trips in the Spring or Fall months, not December!!!

It is 6 p.m. in Elmdorf, TX and it is 61 degrees. Supposed to go down some as a cold front is coming through and tonight is supposed to be cold in the 40's. It reached 72 degrees today.

Don't you miss Texas yet?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The really curious part is that the temperatures in North Carolina and Virginia have been about the same as or slightly warmer than those in Central Texas.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Stiles, you'll be fine in the low 20's so long as you are either using your heat taped hose or have disconnected the hose. If using the heat taped hose I hope the park's above ground pipe and spigot are heat taped or somehow insulated. If not, you might disconect your hose so their pipe doesn't pop. Keep that furnace running occasionally. Setting it at 55 should do it. If you're using quite a bit of electric heat you might set the furnace a bit higher, say 60, so the electric heat doesn't keep the thermostat from firing the furnace.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
And have a nice cup of coffee. Cold weater camping is fun!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We miss winter camping now that we've moved into our house. While we did have a lot of learning experiences between August 2007 and July 2008, most of them were just minor issues. Obviously, bringing in two Porta-Potties for the duration of the below-zero temperature months (October through February) helped.

I'm not sure I'd like long-term "on the move" winter camping in temperatures that regularly dropped below zero, but because we were in one spot for the duration, we didn't have major problems with water lines freezing once we were truly rigged for that kind of weather. Bringing in the 250-gallon propane tank helped, too.

Housekeeping sure was a LOT easier in the Monty than it is now. We can't wait to talk to some of you long-timers and full-timers at the 7 Feathers Rally. Your stories and advice will be invaluable in helping us make some upcoming decisions!

Stay warm, Stiles. Hope you are out of the cold and enjoying warmer times!

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote