Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2007, 02:53 PM   #21
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rick, how much did you skirting setup cost, if you don't mind.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:30 PM   #22
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
You could be camping in Yellowstone, got down to 47 below zero last night.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:33 PM   #23
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I had skirting around my 40' Kountry Aire that we had back in 1982. I don't feel that it helped much if at all. Most of the time I had to keep going out and pegging the bottom down so it wouldn't flap.

It was 8 °F here in Victorville, CA this morning when we got up. But we were as snug as a bug in a rug, so to speak; we were nice and warm.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:55 PM   #24
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
It is 27F here in yuma this morning, but for once the wind isn't blowing.....yet. This is unusual for this part of the country, hope it warms up soon. There will be frost delays at the golf courses for sure. If the grass is frozen here, walking on it kills it.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:59 PM   #25
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
Actually 27 doesn't look bad, after looking around. It is 0F in Calgary and -26 in Saskatoon.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:17 AM   #26
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You guys are on the wrong side of the country... 68 right now here in Central Florida. High of 80 expected again today. Haven't had a pair of jeans on in a week and a half... and that includes at night going to stores, Wally Worlds, etc.

OK, let me clarify... I did have shorts on...

Actually had to kick my A/C on last night at midnight for a little while.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:55 AM   #27
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
has anyone added insulation in the underbody area ? what material was used? what was the effect ? just wondering if it's worth the effort. dropping the underbelly looks labor intensive.
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:56 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We will be in Flordia next year,,Don't know who is in charge around here but we want our money back.It was 38 degrees here in Havasu City this AM. Oh and the furnace stopped working during the night..both tanks showed empty which was absolutly not true so while repeating warm and fuzzy things about Keystone and the vendors they choose I rememberd the forum's solution to that problem and beat on the regulator till it showed green..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:31 AM   #29
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
We were in Casa Grande, AZ in July one year (NEVER do that!) It was sooooo hot - we bought water heater insulation and taped it to the windows - of course, then we felt like we were in a cave - didn't stay there too long!

Suzanne
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:07 AM   #30
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Dave;

The skirting was a hefty investment, around $1200 but for what I want to do with it, it is worth it. I do think it does make a difference. There is a pocket around the bottom for PVC pipe that I use to anchor it at the bottom. PVC pipe and sand bags are my best friend for this.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:16 AM   #31
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Here's a picture of what the skirting looks like. I hope it comes out.

http://i10.tinypic.com/34fgw1v.jpg
-- picture exceeds guidelines. Changed to a link. HOTR --
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #32
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rick, that looks pretty good. I can see where keeping the airflow out from under the Montana would be a big help.

Just looked at the weather. You guys out in AZ are under a freeze warning all the way to the Mexican border. What are you guys doing out there??? The NWS said in their warning statement that this is the coldest weather in this area in 16 years! More good news - this is not your last night of this bitter cold...

You're welcome...

I'm starting to feel bad. I will no longer give FL temps (A/C running now, though). If you want to feel the pain, you guys can look it up for yourselves. (That's Lake Buena Vista, FL, AKA: Disney)

Rich, sorry you're having so many problems. Come to FL, put Helen to work one day a week so you can get all the perks, great dining discounts, and free passes to Disney, etc, etc. Actually, if you feel bad about that, they do need drivers for the trams, buses, etc around here. I know you have experience in that area. Running around in all these Disney parks for free is a real rush... Going again Wed.

Hope it gets down to around 70 or so for Wed. This 80+ heat walking around in Disney is a 2 shirt day.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:50 AM   #33
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Okay Dave quit bragging. We are brrrrrr here and we are suppose to be warm. If you keep bragging then when it is your turn to be cold we aren't going to feel sorry for you. LOL
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave, great advise About Flordia..Could pay for our lot Rent..as long as I don't have to dress up like Mickey Mouse.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #35
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I understand Sue. When it's my turn, I won't complain. Remember, though I spent most of my life in the N. Mich snowbelt. This weather here is NOT what my body clock says should be happening.

If there was any way we could send any warm weather your way, we certainly would. My daughter lives in Las Vegas and I know they are suffering, too.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #36
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Dave, great advise About Flordia..Could pay for our lot Rent..as long as I don't have to dress up like Mickey Mouse.
Actually, Mickey is OK. It Tigger who's in hot water right now. Supposedly he hit a kid and knocked off his glasses. Could be a scam the kid was a teen - bigger than Tigger - grabbed the costume and cut off the actor's air supply. Dad is now trying to sue Disney. We are all suspicious. Didn't really hit the kid, just kind of brushed him away. Could have been a setup.

Not that anyone would ever try to sue Disney...
Old 01-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #37
Mike-n-Jen
Established Member

M.O.C. #6517
richfaa, your cold weather experience is the same as ours. I have been very curious about what others are experiencing. This is why I started this thread, thanks everyone for sharing!

ols1932, just out of curiousity, how warmly are yall dressed and how warm are you heating your Monty to feel so warm in those tempuratures? We are not uncomfortable really, just a bit annoyed at the cold spots in the RV. We are wondering if our experience is typical or not...

Army Guy, that skirting looks great! very nice. Curious, how long does it take to set up and break down? How much space does it take to stow away? We have been considering a skirt, but my new job we are looking into will have us moving about every two weeks or so, that may be too much setting up and break down too often?

Thanks all!
Mike
Mike-n-Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:57 AM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Check out the price of the skirting at C.W. That is where everyone I have asked around here got there's. As for the cold weather experience I think that mine, yours and others is the norm and the folks who are spending a lot of time in their's have adapted to conditions so what we report seems normal to them.After 34 days living in the camper we are already adapting to the small potty room, low water pressure and the dreaded "camper shower" We are adaptable creatures and after awhile everything will seem normal.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:11 AM   #39
William Schelling
Established Member

M.O.C. #6701
I am a new member here. On Sat. we bought a 2007 3650rk and with it we got paper telling of the benefits of the Artic Insulation Package.

The certified testing of the unit says that one can stay warm down to 0 degrees. But it doesn't tell you that you will be using all the heating system can give.

06' F-250 Diesel - 3650RK
William Schelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:09 AM   #40
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
VERY nice skirting--we too would be interested to know a bit more about it. Meanwhile we will offer a few observations from our time in the UK. Three years in a house of brick and cinder block construction (the required code to prevent fires), no wall board and no insulation, just plaster applied to the cinder block and a fireplace chimney with no damper (code requirement--to prevent us from asphixiating ourselves) taught us a lot. First of all 35* and constant damp will make you real cold,real quick--and keep you that way. Where there is a hole (in our case a 12" square chimney with no damper--we even had a bird blow down it in a storm!)) plug it up with whatever is available. Cover windows, skylights and etc with whatever suggested material you can find. Use your heat sources efficiently--you can have a temperature reduction while you are tucked into your cozy little bed and you will never notice it. Invest in a feather comforter--they are the greatest!! Stand an extra pillow up behind your head in the bed--will help to keep you warmer at night. Use an afghan when watching TV--Granny knew what she was doing. Put on an extra sweater or sweatshirt. Lay out your clothes for the next morning in a warm spot---or sneak them under the covers in your bed before you get up. Remember the old scout trick of keeping your clothes in your sleeping bag overnight?. Invest in long johns or silk underwear from Cabella's or Bass Pro. This may sound decadent--but that thin extra layer really makes a difference in your personal comfort level. Cotton or wool clothing may be warmer for you than acrylic, rayon or some polyesters. Have a cup of hot something--add a shot of something really good if you are so inclined. Smile like crazy because you are out there full-timing it you lucky dogs--and we are at home reading about it. Seriously, we understand your frustrations with being cold--but for now you need to do whatever necessary to stay comfortable. Best luck!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote