Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Insects

Have any of our members had any battles with insects. Last fall we were inundated with fire ants. I guess we were parked over an ant hill. Any way, we poured scouring powder around every part of the Montana that touched the ground and that seemed to keep them away.

Then this summer, we've been infiltrated by daddy longlegs spiders. They don't seem to do anything but we keep killing them off. Their numbers are beginning to dwindle rather rapidly now.

Orv

Orv & Marge Schinke

2000 Montana 3555RL towed with '95 F-250 Diesel w/Banks Power Pack, TransCommand Module, Banks Exhaust Brake and Smart Lock Module, rear air bags, Trailer Saver Air Ride Hitch. Full-time, members of the Escapees RV Club. Summers in the midwest and winters in the southwest.

"Drive defensively. Be careful and be courteous."

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Orv
One of our favorite parks has an ant problem. Ajax or Comet or whatever brand really does work. We use to laugh as we pulled into a site, you could see the outline of the previous visitors rig on the pad. It does work.
Happy trails......................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:54 AM   #3
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
We heard on the radio that coffee grounds make ants go away, haven't tried it. Also vinegar poured on a hill will get rid of them. For mosquitos, a sheet of bounce laundry softener in your pocket or belt loop really does work. We have been using it and are amazed.

SMC
Montana 2980RL
Dodge 1 ton Dually 4x4
Fulltiming

http://spaces.msn.com/members/ttsmc
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've used Comet also but have only really done that a few times. I now have a spray can of that stuff you spray around the foundation of a stick house to ward off insects. Can't remember the name. It is supposed to last for months. I also use this to spray in and around the pinbox, hoping to keep mud daubers and birds from nesting in there. We also hang some windchimes (bells in our case) from the pinbox. I **think** the vibration and movement keeps pests out of there. I think.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
About 3 or 4 years ago I bought osage oranges (hedge apples) and placed one on a piece of aluminum foil and put one on each window ledge in my basement. The next year I just added another one. Although they get small, brown and shrunken they do not lose their effectiveness. Yesterday I saw them at the grocery store and bought 5 more @ .89 ea. I now have 3 on each window sill. It has almost totally eliminated bugs, spiders, and their webs! I have never even seen a fire ant or a lot of the creepy crawly things in the southern states so I may be in for a surprise when we go this winter!
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mfoss, I never thought about those for our FW. I used to pick them up out of our backyard so I could mow the grass. I used some in our home basement and garage. They keep crickets out. I didn't know they'd work for other critters, too.

The kind we had I don't think are edible, though. But they are osage oranges / hedge apples. From hedge trees.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-13-2006, 04:21 PM   #7
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Steve, I'm sure what you describe is the same thing. About the same size as an orange, lime green in color and pebbled. Wish I could just go outside and pick some off the ground. They work fantastic for keeping boxelder bugs out and it's about that season now. Glad to know it works on crickets...we have plenty of them in ND. Marilyn
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #8
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
here is a little trick I learned from a ole timer a while back and so far it has worked for us go down and buy some good flea collers and wrap them around your front legs and around the axles and your power cord if you leave it hooked up anyplace a bug can crawl up and it repels any that we have around here lasts about three months give it a try good luck

tim ford
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:53 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
On the power cord and water hose, a ring of vaseline works pretty well, too. It will have to be renewed every week or two, depending on heat, though.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK