Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Goodbye tomato cans, hello apps

Gone is are the 2 tomato cans and the ¼ mile of string.
It was time. Living in the 1950’s was fun, but time to get into the present day with everyone else, I hesitated to upgrade from the brick phone and the bag phone as well.
I bought Sue an Apple, not the Fuji sweet tasty variety, but the I-phone ones.
She loved it, always pecking at the screen, lots of ooh’s and aah’s, an occasional “Look at this!”
I have the thin, slippery black phone, when I get a call, I pick up the phone, can’t tell which end is up, by the time I figure out how to answer it, the call went to voice mail, or I hung up on them, hate the phone, have from the start.
She probably got tired of me griping about the slippery black phone, because she announced that we were going back to the phone store.
I love the place. The attractive young people see you coming, open the door with a smile and ask what they can do for you. No pressure at all.
I now have the same phone Sue has, so I can ask her to bail me out on problems.
I even have an app that makes my phone a carpenters level!
Neat stuff, glad I made the plunge.
If anyone has a ‘Must have’ app, I would like it.
Here are several (80) free apps for you: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/70-best-free-iphone-apps-2013-663484
Now, where is the on button on this thing!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:50 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Dw and I went to toe phone store to get her a new phone. She wanted an IPhone so they told her that they were two for the price of one. I was happy with my old flip phone, guess what I have now!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:01 AM   #3
tobymaxx
Established Member

M.O.C. #12978
Ha ha, you guys sound just like us with the iPhone thing. Of course you know now that you started, it never ends. DW now has iPad mini and I have the regular sized iPad along with our two iPhones.

On the road we activate the iPhone personal Internet hotspot and she plots our course between RV parks with Google Maps, checks for parks using the Allstays Camp & RV app, and finally checks the rates with the Passport America app. Then when we get where we are heading we Skype with the grandkids. Don't seem to us the telephone feature all that much anymore :-)
tobymaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #4
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Two for the price of one.... Either the ONE was priced twice what it should have been or you received the deal of the ages.. Apple does not discount.. even the "Teachers Specials" are only 10% off. I want to know where that phone store is.. cuz I'm ready to jump.

DW went with Straight Talk.. you buy the phone and get unlimited everything for less than $50/month. I'll be going that way as soon as my contract is over. Hoping to wait for the 5s to arrive and maybe the 5 will drop in price a bit more.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:53 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We've had iphones for several years now. Joyce had had a Motorola Razor for years and when I went to smart phones she insisted she just wanted to make calls and didn't want all the "crap" to deal with. I saved my Razor so when her's crapped out she switched to my old one. After many years of refusing to more to a smart phone she went with a iphone when I did and now you can't get her away from it or the ipad she needed after she decided that the phone was too small to surf the web with. What apps you need really depends on you and it's fun to search the store for what's out there. For us were we are in the summer the weather channel app that has the option to show you radar projections of where the storm seems to be going is a big plus, but it just depends on what you want to get done.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Guilty here also. I held on to my basic flip phone for many years. All I needed or wanted, I thought. Wife had an Iphone4, but wanted an Iphone5. So I finally gave in thinking I would just take her old Iphone4 since it would be a free phone. So off to the Verizon store we go.
Here is where things change. Yes, I could take over her Iphone4 for free and just change my service. Or, I could get a brand new Iphone4 for free and they would buy back her old Iphone4 for $99! Now I am no financial genius but figured that one out pretty fast. So now I own a new Iphone4, DW owns a new Iphone5, and she got $99 for her old phone.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Now that's a deal. Guess we better stop by the Verizon store and see what they're offering.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I, too, recently used-up all the "dumb phones" in the junk drawer and had to make "the trip" to the V store. Left with a new Samsung Galaxy IIIS and am VERY happy with it. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Warning! What ever you do Ozz,don't let your wife get near an iPad!
BTW, most iPhone apps work on an iPad.
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
One of my favorite apps is the one that i use to control our home thermostat. I just shut it down when gone and on the way home turn it back on. Can also check temps in house when away. Just a few days ago I forgot to turn it down so I grab the smartphone and check interior temp and shut it down. Very handy.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:59 AM   #11
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I'm a techie so when they came out I wanted one...wife not so much, she too only wanted to make calls. But now that she has one she is as bad as me lol lol.... The best thing is I never get bored anymore waiting in Dr.'s offices or at car dealers waiting on oil changes etc. I just sit back and check the news or talk to someone or read facebook. Course all the tech comes with a price. As an old telephone man I remember when my phone bill was $10 a month lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #12
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
As stated before, one of my favorite apps is Dishpointer. It makes setting up the satellite antenna a breeze. Shows where the satellites are in the sky. Even though we have the Carryout the app lets you determine if trees or other obstructions are in the path. We also have an app that lets us arm or disarm the security system, as well as control the thermostat from the smartphone.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #13
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
If you are a walker... Pedometer. Allows you to track miles and calories, and your weight and keeps history that you can export to excel.

Of course AllStays Camp and RV if you travel to lots of places and are always looking where to stay next.

Find my iPhone. If you lose your phone it will tell you where (on a map) it is. you can send a sound to it so when its in trailer - even if muted - it will let you know where it is.. and finally - if its hopelessly lost you can lock it down so someone can't see all of your stuff.

Google translate - if you travel overseas - you can speak into your phone and it will speak back in whatever language you need it to. I've used it - works great.

Banking app.... I use bank of America. Now when work or someone else sends me a check - I sit in the monty and deposit them using the iPhone rather than having to find a branch.

Alarm clock... really like this for the iPad. Full screen clock. Why carry another clock when the phone or Ipad will do it?

DishPointer AR Pro. I like this and the Dish for my RV apps. The AR pro does all satellites not just dish and sometimes when I need to shoot between some trees having the two to compare has helped get a tough signal.

MyPilot App. For Pilot and Flying J locations.

Tide App... If you are a boater or need (want) to know tides and currents - perhaps just want to shell on a beach at low tide.

IMoonU in case you want to know when all the crazies will be out howling and plan a trip based upon the moon. You can also get a calendar to add to your iCal on Macs for free that will show you the moon states on your iCal.

Latitude... I show folks on my blog exactly where I am. This app reports it to my blog. A friend of mine had it as well and was coming to visit for the weekend. I was able to follow his progress and called him when he made a wrong turn on the way to the house.

Most of these work for iPad as well.

Just a few of my favorites.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote