Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2009, 10:39 AM   #21
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
John,
Wish I could give you my old express card (V-740) that fit the MBR 1000 Cradlepoint router, I had to dump it when I got the MacBook Pro (no express card slot), but it is in my storage unit. If you can wait until next spring when I return to Santa Rosa, you can have it, might be about the time of your termination with AT&T.

Last month when I acquired (it was free) the new aircard (UM175), my concern was that I would be losing the unlimited download and upload with a new contract. They assured me that was not the case, and I would continue to have the unlimited plan.

Glad to hear you're not going to be bored at Quartzsite. :-)

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #22
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
John,
My wife is on Facebook and uses FarmTown and FarmVille on there.
The second month we had the air card we ran over and the bill was more than $120. overage.
Thankfully I had just had Verizon change me from 25 cents per megabite overage to 5 cents or the bill would have been 5 times what it was.
She only uses Facebook when on regular high speed with no limit.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #23
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Dennis,
You are correct about the updates. I stopped all I can find. I discovered Java was a contributor. Something is still in there. I did recently change over to Windows Live. Can't imagine that would be the culprit. I'll let you know what I find.

Robbie, You too with the unlimited plan? Sheeze I must live under a rock. I probably don't need more than 5GB but it would be nice to know it's not a concern. You are very kind for offering your air card but I'm trying to get it together by January. Getting excited about Q. Haven't had a sip of Scotch since the coast. I did have a nice bottle of Brandy with some eggnog in it.

Wayne,
DW plays Pogo a lot and I'm amazed at how little bandwidth it takes to play. Our biggest concern was that she would be the abuser. Now we find it's me. Maybe I'll go over to the dark side and get a Mac...NOT!
Later,
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #24
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WorkerB

........I did have a nice bottle of Brandy with some eggnog in it.
Later,
John
Makes sense to me!
Old 12-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #25
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
The backup and/or the restore could have a virus. Did you run the checks in safe mode? Try a rootkit finder program also. Malwarebytes is another program that has a good rep. You could also try zone alarm, it's a firewall that allows you to control which programs are allowed to get on the net. You can deny access to any program that is unfamiliar then research it to determine if it is malware.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #26
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Hey,
Goot Idea! Never tried checking from safe mode. I already tried Malwarebytes. Said all was OK. I haven't run Zone Alarm in years. It's worth a try. Lately I have been running the new Microsoft Security Essentials. Lucky for me it the Christmas season otherwise I might be tense. My wife and Daughter are cooking up a storm and they are giving me all their "Ugly" goodies. I just discovered the leftover 151 from rum balls. Got a full rack of wood next to the wood stove. Life is good!
John
Old 12-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #27
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WorkerB

Hey,
Goot Idea! Never tried checking from safe mode. I already tried Malwarebytes. Said all was OK. I haven't run Zone Alarm in years. It's worth a try. Lately I have been running the new Microsoft Security Essentials. Lucky for me it the Christmas season otherwise I might be tense. My wife and Daughter are cooking up a storm and they are giving me all their "Ugly" goodies. I just discovered the leftover 151 from rum balls. Got a full rack of wood next to the wood stove. Life is good!
John
Sorry to hear about all the problems with your operating system; makes me appreciate my Mac. Hear those viruses can be nasty!

More 151 over here, and please pass the rum balls, and a warm fire too?.....Ahhh YES, Life IS good!
See you at Q, buddy.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:03 AM   #28
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
John,

You've got Christmas covered well, with all the treats, even if the computer doesn't cooperate!

Just to clarify, I do believe you can tether with AT&T. I didn't want to suggest that only Verizon has tethering. My son has Sprint, loves the new HTC Hero with Sprint and has "free" tethering with his plan.
FYI.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:45 AM   #29
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Hi Dennis,
You know I've been thinking about that. Although AT&T has a sucky reputation for data coverage it is something we could experiment with and it won't cost much to test since DW already has the Blackberry Curve. I will check with AT&T today and check it out. I see it's 9:00 where you are. Only 6:00 here. Just having my first cup of coffee. Wife and daughter are all done with candy and cookie platter making for friends and neighbors. I un-installed everything Windows Live and my laptop is behaving as I would expect it to. Bandwidth usage has dropped to acceptable levels. I did try to install Zone Alarm and this machine would have no part of it. Locked up every time. If I was paranoid I would be losing it. I know I have REALLY been craving a cigarette or better yet a good cigar! Has more to do with the spiked eggnog. Maybe I should switch to Bloody Mary's!
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll check with AT&T and maybe re-look at Sprint's free tethering plan.
Enjoy the day,
John
Old 12-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Check in control panel under scheduled task and see if you have programs updating large files. Also check programs that do update and check if they are auto updating. We have our update programss set to Notify use if update is available..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:20 AM   #31
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Well I guess we are going to try tethering. We already have DW Blackberry with AT&T. Mainly I want to get the wireless MBR1000 working. We are considering a Plantation tour of the South and checking out the Natches Trace and would like to see what it is like with Internet access on the fly as we travel through an area. I'll keep an eye out for an air card that won't require a 2 year contract. Once the AT&T contract runs out we will switch to Verizon. Thanks for all the suggestions.
John
Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #32
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
John,
Not sure if it's what you are looking for but I have a Verizon air card PC5750 with a antenna and antenna port that you can have if it will work for you.

It's used and I am not sure if works but the price is right.

Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #33
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Your PM is ringing!!