Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Verizon Mobile Office

Today I wanted to see if my laptop and phone were OK to take on our next trip. We had a problem checked out by the "geek squad" and the computers ok.
I couldn't use the Verizon Mobile Office. Hmmmm I called Verizon and asked why. Got about 5 different answers. Then I called our local Verizon dealer where I had renewed my plan and upgraded for more minutes. Well ----- seems like when I upgraded, Verizon caught it and my phones ability to use Mobile Office is gone. Seems like I should have been paying $15.00 a month for this service for the last two years. But, they aren't going to make me pay for those 24 months.

Anyone else out there use the Verizon Mobile Office and pay $15.00? I don't remember ever being told it would be $15.00 a month.

Carol

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
There are some internet by cellphone groups/forums out there that may be able to give you the scoop. We were using it a few years ago and all of a sudden it stopped working. It was always free for us but our experience is so old, it's not very valuable.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Carol, if you ever update your phone then you will lose it. if you get it now it will cost, but when I got mine it didnt. if I use it during peak hrs it comes off the minutes plan, but used after 9 at night an weekends its not. anyways I dont have to use it often most of the CG I stay at has free wifi, unless I stay at a COE or state park.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We have been using Mobile Office for 4 years. They told us this time when we got new phones that they were going to "go after everyone that has been using it (because of a computer glitch" and that it would no longer be available. So far we have been able to use it, but it's just a matter of time. All of the cell phone companies want us to purchase an air card for $59.95 a month. Right now we are on wifi, so we haven't checked lately. The air cards started at $80.00 and are down to $60.00 so I am hoping they go down again soon. I didn't understand if you still have the service, and if you do, are you paying $15.00 a month? Thank you, Judy and Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:40 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chuck and Carol

Today I wanted to see if my laptop and phone were OK to take on our next trip. We had a problem checked out by the "geek squad" and the computers ok.
I couldn't use the Verizon Mobile Office. Hmmmm I called Verizon and asked why. Got about 5 different answers. Then I called our local Verizon dealer where I had renewed my plan and upgraded for more minutes. Well ----- seems like when I upgraded, Verizon caught it and my phones ability to use Mobile Office is gone. Seems like I should have been paying $15.00 a month for this service for the last two years. But, they aren't going to make me pay for those 24 months.

Anyone else out there use the Verizon Mobile Office and pay $15.00? I don't remember ever being told it would be $15.00 a month.

Carol
Carol, I don't know what's going on here, but a colleague of mine had the following experience. He had heard that others were paying more for use of the Mobile Office Kit and that if he wanted a new phone he was going to have to pay more. So, in his words, "I inquired at the local corporate-owned Verizon store, and the clerks had no knowledge of this service (his use of mobile office without paying extra) and wanted to sell me the $59 monthly service. I contacted the Verizon Internet site, and they sent me the information that pertains to the Quick 2 Net service that only charges for minutes used. If you are facing a similar situation, contact Verizon via the Internet or by phone, as I have been able to get more help that way. The Quick 2 Net is slow, but with my plan, minutes after 9:00 pm and weekends are unlimited. The additional wait saves me over $60 a month."

So I decided to check into it some more. I called Verizon Customer Service and spoke to "Lamont." I explained this situation to him and he reassured me that there is NO ADDITIONAL charge for use of the Mobile Office Kit when used with Quick 2 Net and connected to my computer. He did indicate that cell phones capable of receiving e-mail do require the additional charge. I'm wondering if this isn't what everyone is running in to.

Lamont also said that I can upgrade my phone without losing the capability I presently have of using my cell phone as a 14.4 kbps modem to receive my e-mail and/or surf the Internet.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:23 AM   #6
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Because I tried to upgrade my phone, I now pay $59.00 for the air card.
Consider yourself lucky you guys who still have the mobile office and are using it for free
Verizon is trying to catch everyone who has it.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chuck and Carol

Because I tried to upgrade my phone, I now pay $59.00 for the air card.
Consider yourself lucky you guys who still have the mobile office and are using it for free
Verizon is trying to catch everyone who has it.

Carol
Carol,
As you said, they may be trying to catch everyone, but when I talked to them I TOLD them what I had and they said it was okay. Go figure. Were you using Quick 2 Net or just dialing up your ISP? That's what we do and I told Verizon that. Their response was "keep doing what you're doing."

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We still use the Mobile Office setup. We found out that in addition to Quick 2 Net, we get Express Net free. 115Kbps vs 14.5 Kbps for Quick 2 Net. We were told that if/when we change our contract, (which occurs with a phone upgrade) we lose that capability. Accordingly, we are still limping along with our 3 yr old phone, but getting 115Kbps service free (except for minutes used, 6AM to 9PM during weekdays).

Check with Verizon for your specific plan...you may have free Express Net available (until you change your plan or phone).
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
I still use mobile office for free after 9 at night and weekends. The verizon office's that are a independent dealer doesnt know "squat" about mobile office, if they do they will tell you that "they" are going to catch you. thats their "tail" to get you to invest in their $59.99 a month service. I ordered my mobil office directly from the verizon corp. about 3 yrs ago. they sent it to me via UPS and told how to install it and use it. They said after 9 in the evening and weekends was free. If it was used at other times then it would use the mintues on your plan.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #10
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Ok, heres the "real" story on mobil office from verizon. My old phone died other day,I have the "older" version of mobil office from verizon on my pc. Nancy has the same phone (audiovox 8600) which I can use hers also on the older version,(weekends and after 9 free) no extra charge, and with this version, verizon isnt "looking" for anyone ! now heres the story from verizon corp. home office. I upgraded my phone to the razor vm3. I purchased a mobil office kit from verizon for the new phone. cost was $19.95. With this newer phones, they are broadband, so therefore the monthly cost is $59.95, phone is used as a broadband modem with your pc. unlimit, anytime usage, on the internet, just like the aircard. Now heres what I liked about the phone over the aircard, 1st, no contract to be signed the charge is just added on your phone bill, plus, if you ever in an area that no signal can be had, you can put the mobil office in "vacation" mode. in other words if you in an area camping for a length of time with no service, drive to where you can call verizon 800 # and you can put it in vacation mode with "no charges" for the mobil office. it stays in that mode till you call them. Plus if you ever decide you dont want that service you can drop it for theres no contract on the mobile office. This is what a lady in the corporate office at verizon explained it to me.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:36 PM   #11
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
don't come to northern wisconsin with a air card as it won't work , i turned mine back in after 1 day as if you are on 1 bar it wont keep it on line john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #12
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Tom,
We used the Razor as a modem as you are speaking of earlier this year. Only downside is you cant charge it or talk on the phone at the same time it is being used as the modem. Upside was in southern Ca, Broadband is almost everywhere! Loved it, and it was really fast. It did cost us 59.99 a month plus our regular plan. When we go home to MT, no broadband. Dial up. That is gonna hurt...
After our San Diego adventure, we disconnected the service. No penalties or anything.
Good luck,
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:25 AM   #13
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Steve,
I use a Blue-tooth adapter on the laptop and connect the phone that way. This lets you charge the phone while you are on line.
I do not have the Razor but I am sure it is Blue tooth.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote